Broken Images Issue when copying Confluence Pages from One Server to Another Server

Jeffry Gamba October 3, 2019

Broken Images Issue when copying Confluence Pages from One Server to Another Server

Let me explain first, we have what we called “real server”, this server contains all active pages and we use this server in work. The Confluence admin created a test server which we called “QA server”.  The real server is in 6.0.7 version while the QA Server is now in 6.13.8 version. The purpose of creating a QA server is to test the functionality and document the new features available in the 6.13.8 version.

Our servers look like this.

Real Server :: wiki.company.com  |  QA Server :: wiki-dev.company.com

The problem is that when we try to copy documentations (Confluence Pages) we did on the QA Server to the Real Server, the images or attachments won’t show in the Real Server. We are planning to do an upgrade with real server but we are worrying that all images existing from real server will be broken when we upgrade to 6.13.8.

Note that is won’t work vice versa. An image from real server copied to qa server is also broken/ wont show.

The images will appear if;

• If you access the two servers in one browser (i think it has something to do with the cache. The cache of real server and qa server are being saved in one browser that is why the images shown) -- im not sure with this?

Please see this url for more details of the issue:: bit.ly/2ofdga5

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 7, 2019

Hello Jheff,

Happy to help!

From my understanding, your "real" server is on 6.0.7, and your "QA" server is on 6.13.8. You are copying the pages from the QA (6.13.8) to Real (6.0.7). Is that correct so far?

Can you tell me exactly the steps you are taking to copy the pages over? I assume you might be using a space export, but it isn't supported to copy from a newer version of Confluence to an older. (See Restoring a Space).

Regards,

Shannon

Jeffry Gamba October 7, 2019

Hi @Shannon S 

Nice to hear again from you! We are copying the page by copying the page content from QA Server to Real Server (ctrl c & ctrl v). Or sometimes by copying the source code and then copy it the real server.

Thanks,

Jheff

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 8, 2019

Hello Jheff,

Thank you for clarifying that. If you copy the original content from either edit mode or the source, you're going to copy the image URLs exactly as they are. You'll need to go in manually each time to correct these. If you were to copy from view mode, it would bring the images over but not your macros and other things. Unfortunately, copying and pasting content between Confluence instances is really not the best way to do this.

My recommendation for you would first be to upgrade your QA instance as soon as you possibly can. The reason being is that Confluence 6.0.* reached End of Life on 2 November, 2018. We also had a pair of major security vulnerabilities this past spring, and the advice is to upgrade your Confluence to a patched version. See Confluence CVEs and common questions for more information on that. Ideally, your QA server needs to be the same version as your production server, so upgrading your production server to 6.13.8 to match your QA server is recommended.

Once you've upgraded your production server, we recommend the following steps to create a staging environment, which you can use your QA server for.

To migrate content between the two, you'll need to regularly migrate the data using the supported method of an XML export/import (either full site or individual spaces). Copying and pasting will only cause further issues, so I do not recommend this route.

I hope that's clear, but let me know if you have any questions about it.

Regards,

Shannon

Like Jeffry Gamba likes this
Jeffry Gamba October 8, 2019

Hi @Shannon S

Thank you:)

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
October 9, 2019

Jheff,

You're welcome! Just let me know if you have any further questions about that.

Take care,

Shannon

Like Jeffry Gamba likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events