Best way to automatically update a page on an Atlassian-hosted Confluence site

Dave Drexler April 5, 2012

Hi folks - I'd like to create a "System Status" page on our hosted Confluence site. My company's product is a website, and if the site is down or experiencing other issues, I'd like to use Confluence to communicate the situatiion to our customers. But I don't want the status updates to be a manual process. I also don't want the information to exist in any publically-accessible site.

We have plenty of tools that monitor our website's health and pump out status information. But how to insert that info into an Atlassian-hosted page? Using something like the HTML-include macro won't work, since we don't want the info on a public site.

Any ideas?

1 answer

0 votes
Bob Swift OSS (Bob Swift Atlassian Apps)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 5, 2012
Dave Drexler April 5, 2012

Thanks, Bob, that was one of my first thoughts. But Atlassian Support told me that the CLI plugin was verboten in the hosted sites.

Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 6, 2012

Download the client to your PC, there is no host requirement other that SOAP API being enabled.

Dave Drexler April 6, 2012

Well, they would (and did) enable the API for me, so I can give that a try. Meanwhile, I think I'm getting close with a script I found here: http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/DISC/XML-RPC+Page+Updater+Example

Rising Star
Rising Star
April 6, 2012

The remote API setting is on be default and you can control it provided you are the site administrator. It is the same remote API required for the XML-RPC.

Dave Drexler April 8, 2012

Actually, it was off by default, and the settings are greyed out. This is an Atlassian-hosted version of Confluence (at "onconfluence.com") and the General settings in the console are not accessible.

I think I have my answer with this little Python script (linked above). Works like a charm.

Thanks, Bob - I appreciate your help (and all your plugins).

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events