Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best upgrade path from 3.5.13 to 5.4.2

Jonas Petersson January 23, 2014

Hi!

We are currently on Confluence 3.5.13 and want to upgrade to 5.4.2. As stated in the upgrade guide we should skip the incremental step of upgrading to major version 4 in between and go directly to version 5.x.x if we have File System links.

But how do we find out if we have filesystem links? Is there anyway to find out? We can't manually scan hundred of pages.

I'm having trouble of understanding the upgrade guide and have it is down to two different approaches (if I go with the theory that we do have file system links):

3.5.13 -> 5.4.2 or

3.5.13 -> 5.0.3 -> 5.4.2

Or any other suggestions?

These ideas are based on the upgrade guide

Thank you very much

EDIT: For people with the same qestions - It seems pretty clear to move 3.5.13 -> 5.0.3 -> 5.4.2 by this and this

5 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jonas Petersson February 9, 2014

Hi! The path i followed was 3.5.x -> 5.0.3 -> 5.4.2 and everything worked out fine!

Just be sure to have control over your plugins, which is a critical factor. Most likely some of your old plugins will be charged for in later version if you have 3rd party-plugins installed.

0 votes
Florian Gruia February 9, 2014

Hi! The path i followed was 3.5.x -> 5.0.3 -> 5.4.2 and everything worked out fine!

Just be sure to have control over your plugins, which is a critical factor. Most likely some of your old plugins will be charged for in later version if you have 3rd party-plugins installed.

0 votes
AnnWorley
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 1, 2014

The most recent document recommends going directly from 3.5.x to 5.03 then to 5.4.2:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/DOC/Upgrading+Confluence

0 votes
Alpesh Bhavsar January 31, 2014

Hi Jonas,

Did it worked for you? I also having version 3.5.13 and I want to upgrade it to latest release. Which upgrade path you followed?

0 votes
Bryan Trummer
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 23, 2014

Just from my experience, we went from JIRA 4.4 -> to JIRA 6. I did test this out for about a month on a new server. I didn't see any data issues or anything at all. If anything I would recommend going to JIRA 4 -> JIRA 5.4.2.

Norman Abramovitz
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 31, 2014

Bryan is correct about going through 4.4 first if your current version earlier. There are major changes in 5.X and 4.4 prepared for those changes. I would suugest checking all your plugins to make sure they are still supported. I ran into issues of plugins stopped being supported or they started to charge.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 1, 2014

Um, they asked about Confluence...

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events