Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best plugin for real-time collaboration on MS Office files such as word, excel, ppt, visio, etc?

Manali Butey April 27, 2021

My team and I are torn between SharePoint 2019 (moving to SP Online in a few months time) and Confluence to create and edit ppt, excel, word and visio documents by multiple users at the same time and to be able to save changes to the same version whilst opening these files in their desktop native apps. Much like how we work on files in SP Online seamlessly w/o loss of data changes by multiple users in the same version of file uploaded back to the server. The non real time collaboration of the Companion app is making it hard to sell the product for use as a doc repo for the project. Another consideration is to refrain form plugins that require an app install on all user desktop as part of SOE. Understand if the best plugin to achieve the goal requires app install. The aim to have the functionality, not having to install the app s the cherry on top. Please suggest.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Gonchik Tsymzhitov
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 28, 2021

Hi @Manali Butey , 

regarding replace office pack, you need to use a different apps. 

Hence you need to double check do you really need to have a real time?

Visio - Draw.io, gliffy (almost)

Word - not needed

But the office pack is our world will be for the long time, once Google Docs replaced. 

As Conclusion, I think no way for now

Manali Butey May 4, 2021

Looked at a bunch of plugins but none fulfilled all my requirements and hence sticking to the hybrid SP-Confluence model.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events