Best approach to hosting multiple .html pages

MICHAEL O'Neill August 1, 2012

Hi folks,

Currently using confluence 3.5.xx standalone. Currently we have a bunch of axure projects that we export to .html projects, zip up, and make available for download from various confluence pages on our site.

Instead of forcing clients to download and unpack the zip archive for each axure project, is there a way that I can host all these .html files somewhere on this server so that we could just link to the index file/entry point for each axure project?

2 Caveats:

1. Axure projects are a mix of nested directories, framesets, etc. Just dumping the projects in a directory off /confluence in the install directory serves the content of whatever page you link to, but strips out all the frameset, styling and other stuff that makes it usable. Plus, it still displays the confluence header and footer (kind of makes sense that it does this).
  2. I'd like to keep this as lightweight as possible. Anything more than finding the right location to dump the files so we can link to them may be introcuing a level of complexity that IT may shy away from supporting.

I suspect the correct approach to this involves registering another application inTomcat and storing these files there, but that runs us into #2 above.

-Michael

*edit* There's no need to include any of these files in search, etc...

3 answers

1 vote
Gorka Puente _Appfire_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
November 27, 2014

Hi @MICHAEL O'Neill,

Our add-on Share Attachments and Pages allows you to export a page as HTML with the resources embedded on it. Thus, you can share a link to any page using your Confluence instance as the server, without giving access to the rest of your data, no need to log in!

Regards,

Gorka

1 vote
Harry Chan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 2, 2012

Hi, it wouldn't be too hard to add an extra static application to Tomcat. Simply add a new context in Tomcat to let Tomcat know in what directory this should exist in and drop the files there.

1 vote
EddieW
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 1, 2012

Since you are using the standalone version which uses tomcat or jetty under the cover (i forget as this is not consistent across the suite) so you should be able to drop files into the resource folder within the webapp directory.

This would be the same spot that confluence serves images and such from.

BUt I think that is a _bad_ approach, and if you want to host html files you should setup an apache or IIS web server (not tomcat, that is an application server).

Any any IT department that scoffs at setting up an apache instance to host html files should be eliminated, and replaced with a pack of interns.

Finally setting up a single apache instance can act as a "reverse proxy" for confluence, and serve the html files from a single domain, using different contexts.

mysite.com/confluence/

mysite.com/azure-files/

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/DOC/Running+Confluence+behind+Apache

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events