Best Practices for Disabling verus Deleteing Users on Confluence Server

Jonquil Williams November 18, 2019

As a system and space admin, I am involved in determining our policies for disabling versus deleting users in Confluence. Right now we are not integrated with JIRA, but at some point we may do so. I've read through the basic guidelines about the pluses and minuses to deleting users. Does anyone have any feedback regarding deletion, such as:

1. Do you immediately disable anyone who is not eligible for rehire?

2. For other users, do you disable for a period of time (e.g., 6 months, a year) and then delete the user if they do not return to the company after that time period?

3. Do you have a policy to never delete users (or never delete users that are eligible for rehire)?

4. If your policy is only to disable users, have you run into any problems with the user list getting too long to be manageable? If so, did you find a way to deal with that situation?

Of course our managers will have input to our policy, but I want to present the answers to these questions as part of our discussion.

Thank you.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
JP _AC Bielefeld Leader_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 18, 2019

Hi,

1. Yes, but we disable the user in our AD

If you plan to have more than two applications and/ or more than 10 users think about adding an Active Directory or LDAP server to your environment. Otherwise there will be the issue that you forget to disable someone somewhere...

2. / 3. Deleting a user is done after a year or (GDPR) if the user requests this. This relates to "Unknown user" entries in pages & comments. There are tools allowing to anonymize all user entries, if someone leaves the company.

4. AFAIK disabled users are not shown in user lists & cannot be mentioned or used for sharing pages.

Disabled users do not count toward your license count.

Best

JP

Jonquil Williams November 18, 2019

Thank you very much!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events