Autocomplete for users(usernames) is dodgy in Confluence

Elvar Bjarki Böðvarsson December 5, 2011

I have my Confluence 3.5.3 installation connected to Active Directory and when I try for exmple to share a page with a user and start to write his name it sometimes completes correctly and sometimes not, dependent on the user. Has something to do with Icelandic letters.

For example

Writing Guðni it does not work, but what does work is writing Gudni which then searches for the username instead of full name.

But writing searching for some other names with Icelandic letters it seems to only manage to search in the lastname and middlename fields, but never in the firstname field.

So if someones name is Guðni Jónsson searching for Guðni would give no results but searching for Jónsson would work. If someones name is Jón Guðnason searching for Jón would give no results but searching for Guðnason would work.

3 answers

0 votes
Alejandro Conde Carrillo
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 14, 2012

Hi.

Are you using any proxy? From my experience, this kind of problems are normally generated in the proxy. An easy test it to access confluence directly with the IP of the server and test the behaviour there.

Another thing to chek is if your DB is set to use UTF-8.

Elvar Bjarki Böðvarsson September 20, 2012

We are not using a proxy at the moment but its on the roadmap. Is there anything to take into consideration?

The DB is set to Collation = Icelandic_CI_AS

Would changing it to UTF-8 solve this?

0 votes
Coen Flach August 12, 2012

Picking up on this earlier post. We also experience issues with the autocomplete for users function:

I have 2 users in my instance (3.5.13 but tested in 4.2.6 as well; no LDAP, just plain Confluence users):

1. John Doe, username: johndoe@courseware.nl, email: johndoe@courseware.nl
  2. Jane Doe, username: doe, email: janedoe@courseware.nl

When I would search using the main search feature (upper right screen corner), I could enter 'john' or 'jane' and Confluence would find both users. However, when I search in either the user field of the 'Share' feature or the 'who' field when filtering a search query, I will only find 'Jane' autocompleted. 'John' will not autocomplete to 'John Doe'. Only when I enter 'Doe', John (and Jane) will be autcompleted.

Conclusion: Confluence cannot autocomplete users based on their first name when user details are provided as with user 1); only when provided as with user 2).

Does anyone experience this as well and/or does anyone have a suggestion as to what may cause this behavior?

Thanks in advance for a reply.

Jurriaan van Reijsen
The Courseware Company (Dutch Atlassian Partner)

0 votes
Coen Flach August 12, 2012

Picking up on this earlier post. We also experience issues with the autocomplete for users function:

I have 2 users in my instance (3.5.13 but tested in 4.2.6 as well; no LDAP, just plain Confluence users):

1. John Doe, username: johndoe[at]courseware.nl, email: johndoe[at]courseware.nl
  2. Jane Doe, username: doe, email: janedoe[at]courseware.nl

When I would search using the main search feature (upper right screen corner), I could enter 'john' or 'jane' and Confluence would find both users. However, when I search in either the user field of the 'Share' feature or the 'who' field when filtering a search query, I will only find 'Jane' autocompleted. 'John' will not autocomplete to 'John Doe'. Only when I enter 'Doe', John (and Jane) will be autcompleted.

Conclusion: Confluence cannot autocomplete users based on their first name when user details are provided as with user 1); only when provided as with user 2).

Does anyone experience this as well and/or does anyone have a suggestion as to what may cause this behavior?

Thanks in advance for a reply.

Jurriaan van Reijsen
The Courseware Company (Dutch Atlassian Partner)

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events