Attachment upload fails with "HTTP error."

Daniel Urstöger December 30, 2012

Hello there,

I wonder if somebody can help with my problem. Attachment uploads do generally work,
but I got a rather big PDF here. It is roughly 95MB in size. Upload of smaller files up to 20MB work,
but the 95MB file fails all the time with "HTTP error." for some reason.

We run Confluence behind a Apache proxy to have SSL encryption. After looking around and googling I checked the Apache error log and a few other things but couldn t find the problem. Maybe somebody got a clue for me?

Thanks!

We run Confluence 4.3.5 by the way.

Kind regards,
Daniel

3 answers

1 vote
C_ Faysal
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 2, 2013

how is Attachment Storage configured?

if it's set to Database you may adjust "max_upload_size" in your Database config file (i.e. my.cnf)

C_ Faysal
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 2, 2013

try after adding max_upload_size

Daniel Urstöger January 2, 2013

Good point, totally forgot to mention that! I use MySQL als storage backend, and I set the max_packet_size to 1GB. So I guess that is also not it.

max_upload_size in the MySQL config?

C_ Faysal
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 2, 2013

argh maybe max_upload_size is the wrong parmater and i am mixing it up with php....

is there a timeout value wich is beeing hit during the upload process?

C_ Faysal
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 2, 2013

ok i rechecked this...the table for attachmentdata

DATA is longlob which theoretically should allow up to 2GB of filesize...

there must be something between the database and the application

C_ Faysal
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 2, 2013

hmmm i switched attachment storage from database to file system....works...150MB uploaded w/o problem

same file after setting back to Database...works as well.

try decreasing the limit...

my.cnf

max_allowed_packet=512M

confluence

Attachment Maximum Size 536870912 Bytes (512.00 MB)

I just checked the Confluence Logs and they are pretty much empty as well :(

so I guess it is neither Apache nor Confluence itself causing the problem.

Thanks guys for all your input, will look now into possible problem with MySQL :)

1 vote
PeterKoczan
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 2, 2013

Hey Daniel,

Another clue would be to check the attachment size settings: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/DOC/Configuring+Attachment+Size

Regards,

Peter

Thanks Peter, but sadly I already set that to over 500MB.

PeterKoczan
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 2, 2013

Could you describe the error message in detail? Do you use any web proxy in between? Do you see any related messages in <CONFLUENCE-HOME>/logs/atlassian-confluence.log? Are you sure it is the size of the file, not the file name for example?

Well, that is the full error message I see in my browser. It comes up within the upload window, after the whole file has been uploaded (judging by the progress bar of Google Chrome). I will attach the log file soonish, I am currently not in the office :)

About the Proxy, well Apache gets the Requests and forward them to Confluence, this is for the SSL setup, as desribed in the Atlassian Wiki. I can also upload attachments with smaller size without any issue. And I also tried to upload a file smaller with the same name and that worked.

PeterKoczan
Atlassian Team
January 2, 2013

I see, I believe the logs may tell additional information, once you have access to them and can post it here, I'd be happy to take a look. Have you also opened a support ticket for this issue already?

1 vote
Bhushan Nagaraj
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 30, 2012

Hi Daniel,

You might want to check the LimitRequestBody directory in your apache conf.

More information available at http://httpd.apache.org/docs/current/mod/core.html#limitrequestbody

Hi Bhushan,

I checked but also seems like that isn t the problem.

Greetings,
Daniel

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events