Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are these metrics possible with the CustomWare Reporting plugin? Or is SQL required?

Scott Rossell July 12, 2012

I apologize most profoundly for the rude interjection of my question without the proper research ahead of time. I have to get this figured out in two weeks or I don't have a job! Please, please help!

Are the following metrics possible with the CustomWare Reporting plugin or will SQL (or something else) be required?

- Top 25 users excluding me.
- Top users by week with number of searches and/or articles accessed back to Jan.
- Overall searches by week back to Jan. (exclude me).
- Top 25 contributors and numbers by week.
- Overall number of articles submitted and published by week.
- Time spent logged in per user.
- Average time spent per page per user.

(Of course, any code examples would be greatly appreciated).

Thank you for your kind endulgence for this rude shout for attention. If I still have a job in August I'll certainly be more attentive to proper forum protocol and try to be as helpful as I can be.

3 answers

0 votes
Kay Brown
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 13, 2012

You are welcome, Scott. Good luck!

0 votes
Kay Brown
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 13, 2012

This plugin may provide some of what you are looking for:

https://studio.plugins.atlassian.com/wiki/display/USGTRK/Confluence+Usage+Tracking+Plugin

Regards,

Kay

Scott Rossell July 13, 2012

Kay,

Thanks! I forgot all about that one. I installed it a while back and promptly forgot all about it. It looks like the onus is on me to prove that the knowledge base is actually being used. In fact, I may only have to prove it this one time. Between this plugin and the Google Analytics data, I may just be able to present my case effectively. Thanks for your help. Much appreciated!

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 12, 2012

Some of it is possible with the plugin, I think, and SQL can answer more. But there's a couple of quick points:

1) You need to define "top users". Is that contributors? (People who add/edit) or just everyone who wanders around?

2) A lot of this stuff simply isn't logged at all, and you'll need to look at your web access logs

3) Time spent logged in doesn't actually work as a question - ok someone logs in, but then what's the end point if (like most people), they don't click "log out"? 20 minutes after their last page change? Doesn't work if they just close the browser. You're going to have to think about this question

4) Time spent per page is similar to 3, and you'll need to think about people who surf like I do - open page, read, open tabs on to interesting bits, never actually leaving the page I started from, so you can't even say "now reading another page"

Scott Rossell July 12, 2012

Nic, thank you so very much for such a quick response. :@)

Management is only concerned with whether Confluence is being used and by whom and how often (metrics that, as you mentioned, are not that easily determined.) I have the free, simple Google Analytics reporting installed but that doesn't seem to be enough.

I can easily enough report on the number of contributed pages, comments and such, but they're looking for data on which technicians are using the knowledge base on Confluence and how long.

I'm not sure that can be answered. That would require tracking specific login ID's or IP addresses, right? (Hence the web logs?)

So, how about just counting the number of searches per week and by whom? Is that possible?

Thanks again!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events