Applied American English language pack, but still shows "favourites"

Jonathan Simonoff
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 3, 2012

I applied the American English language pack https://translations.atlassian.com/dashboard/download?lang=en_US (the 4.0.4 version, to match our install), changed the default site language, and it doesn't seem to be working. For example, the word "Favourite" is still being spelled in the UK way in the page view. When I look in the preview for the Favourites macro in the macro browser, it correctly shows "favorite", but every other time the word shows it is the other way.

I understand this pack is only 96% complete, but I unpacked the jar and looked in the appropriate file, and it does show the correction. I've also cleared my cookies (in case there was an old setting saved), checked my browser setting (set to US English), and re-logged in.

Any clue why this wouldn't be working?

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jonathan Simonoff
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 5, 2012

Turns out there's a known bug. https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONF-23220#comment-350883 , where Confluence doesn't use the browser setting in the case of en-US.

So there is no proper solution, but what I mentioned above does get rid of "favourites" and the like -- set your profile to use US English. There's another way, too: on the login screen, click on the US English link. (Both the default and US English show as "English", so either look at the URL to see which setting you used or put in the script code shown in https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/31760/how-to-replace-english-uk-with-english-us so the link indicates which is the British version.

BTW, I ended up using the latest version of the language pack (4.3.4), which says it is 99% complete, and it worked, even though I'm on 4.0.4.

1 vote
Steve Matt August 6, 2015

Seriously...in three years there has been no solution/fix/professional treatment for this simple language issue?

Is there or is there not a simple fix for this unbelievably simple confluence language error?

0 votes
Jonathan Simonoff
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 5, 2012

I made some progress. If I go to my settings (in Confluence), and change "Detect Browser Setting" to force to US English, then it works.

However, it should have worked anyway, since my browser is set to US English. I'm trying to figure out why that doesn't work. (I'm trying to fix this for all my US users, and I don't want to tell everyone they have to do the setting in Confluence.)

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events