Application access rights via REST

Is there a RESTful API call that allows me to change the application rights for a given user? I need to strip Confluence from a sizable number of users, but doing it via a user-interactive web interface is time-consuming and inefficient.

I tried to pull the data on a given user (myself) using http://myinstance.jira.com/rest/api/latest/username?[myuserID] - but it keeps asking for a key, and I have no idea what it's asking for; I figured maybe I could update the "active" property referenced in https://docs.atlassian.com/jira/REST/latest/#idp1247088 (and set it to "false"), but I can't seem to get to that data...and I'm not sure that would work anyway.

Ideas?

3 answers

1 accepted

This is similar to the question asked here: https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/147154/jira-rest-api-create-and-update-users-and-groups

As far as I'm aware, the REST API for Confluence/JIRA only allows you to GET information about a given user, you are not able to actually modify any properties of a user via REST. This is possible using other methods however (i.e. Bob Swift's CLI tool or via the SOAP/XML-RPC API).

Jeff, what's the group for Confluence? I don't see a group named "_licensed-jira." When I try to use the CLI, I get the error "Remote error: com.atlassian.jira.rpc.exception.RemoteValidationException: no group found for that groupName: _licensed-jira"

the CLI doesn't have the capability to manipulate the application access rights; neither does the SOAP API, to the best of my ability to tell. It would appear that this is UI only.

Jeff Curry Atlassian Team Jul 17, 2013

Application access can be modified by the CLI in the manner of group membership. For example the group _licensed-jira provides application access to JIRA

Jeff, what's the group for Confluence? I don't see a group named "_licensed-jira." When I try to use the CLI, I get the error "Remote error: com.atlassian.jira.rpc.exception.RemoteValidationException: no group found for that groupName:

_licensed-jira"

Oh, I should have specified - this is ondemand. I'll re-ask the question with an ondemand reference.

Wait! I did!

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Community Anniversary

Happy Anniversary, Atlassian Community!

This community is celebrating its one-year anniversary and Atlassian co-founder Mike Cannon-Brookes has all the feels.

Read more
Community showcase
Kesha Thillainayagam
Posted Apr 13, 2018 in Confluence

We want to hear how your non-technical teams are using Confluence!

Hi Community! Kesha (kay-sha) from the Confluence marketing team here! Can you share stories with us on how your non-technical (think Marketing, Sales, HR, legal, etc.) teams are using Confluen...

2,088 views 25 10
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you