Application access rights via REST

Lee Correll
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 27, 2013

Is there a RESTful API call that allows me to change the application rights for a given user? I need to strip Confluence from a sizable number of users, but doing it via a user-interactive web interface is time-consuming and inefficient.

I tried to pull the data on a given user (myself) using http://myinstance.jira.com/rest/api/latest/username?[myuserID] - but it keeps asking for a key, and I have no idea what it's asking for; I figured maybe I could update the "active" property referenced in https://docs.atlassian.com/jira/REST/latest/#idp1247088 (and set it to "false"), but I can't seem to get to that data...and I'm not sure that would work anyway.

Ideas?

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
nriley
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 28, 2013

This is similar to the question asked here: https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/147154/jira-rest-api-create-and-update-users-and-groups

As far as I'm aware, the REST API for Confluence/JIRA only allows you to GET information about a given user, you are not able to actually modify any properties of a user via REST. This is possible using other methods however (i.e. Bob Swift's CLI tool or via the SOAP/XML-RPC API).

Lee Correll
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 17, 2013

Jeff, what's the group for Confluence? I don't see a group named "_licensed-jira." When I try to use the CLI, I get the error "Remote error: com.atlassian.jira.rpc.exception.RemoteValidationException: no group found for that groupName: _licensed-jira"

0 votes
Lee Correll
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 4, 2013

Oh, I should have specified - this is ondemand. I'll re-ask the question with an ondemand reference.

Wait! I did!

0 votes
Lee Correll
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 7, 2013

the CLI doesn't have the capability to manipulate the application access rights; neither does the SOAP API, to the best of my ability to tell. It would appear that this is UI only.

Jeff Curry
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 17, 2013

Application access can be modified by the CLI in the manner of group membership. For example the group _licensed-jira provides application access to JIRA

Lee Correll
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 17, 2013

Jeff, what's the group for Confluence? I don't see a group named "_licensed-jira." When I try to use the CLI, I get the error "Remote error: com.atlassian.jira.rpc.exception.RemoteValidationException: no group found for that groupName:

_licensed-jira"

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events