Anyone with experience in migrating Confluence from server to cloud?

Adam Saleh May 10, 2017

Hello there,

If you do, or have any knowledge I'd appreiciate some advice.

I have been advocating the usage and adoption of Confluence at my medium sized enterprise for a while now - and it has been a great success. We have a bunch of tools from the Atlassian suite that are cloud hosted, but Confluence was brough inhouse.

Now we want to move to the cloud because we lack resources to manage this awesome tool. I have been managing it since implementing it as our new information portal.

Any advice or things that I should be aware of?

Users are linked to their content, and we have many user accounts, not sure how they all get migrated to a cloud based licensing structure.

I've got in touch with Confluence support and have been given some documents to read. Still get the feeling I might be missing something, as I feel soley responsible for all our new users and their content.

1 answer

1 vote
AnnWorley
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 22, 2017

Very happy to hear you like Confluence!

Two things I can comment on from your Question are:

> We have a bunch of tools from the Atlassian suite that are cloud hosted

• If you want to add Confluence to an existing instance you will have to do space imports, which won't include migrating users.

> we have many user accounts, not sure how they all get migrated to a cloud based licensing structure

• Users from your server instance will be imported if you perform a site import of Confluence, only possible if you have a Confluence-only Cloud instance.
  • Each user with Global permission to Use Confluence ("can use" granted by group or individually) will take up a license in Cloud.

Please review Migrate from Confluence Server to Cloud and let us know any additional questions. 

Adam Saleh May 23, 2017

Thank you for replying Ann! That's good news, I'll read more about the Global permissions model to understand how new users, and imported users will access Confluence.

I guess we intend to do a full 'site import' of Confluence.

Cheers,

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events