Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another upgrade path question - 3.4.9 to 5.4x

Rob Murray May 7, 2014

Hi,

We're seeing some confusing messages here within the support portal regarding the upgrade process.

We were under the impression that the upgrade path is as follows:

Manually upgrade 3.4.9 to 3.5.17;

New upgrade procedure from 3.5.17 to 4.3.7 to finally 5.x

Rumor has it that the upgrade step from 3.5.17 to 4.3.7 will convert the markup language to XHTML ; missing the 4.3.7 upgrade step can possibly cause issues.

Clarification will be much appreciated!

4 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Ryan Goodwin
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 8, 2014

The reason that Atlassian recommends not going to 4.x is that Confluence borks embedded links for some rare link types. This was fixed in 5.0.3 which is why Atlassian recommends not upgrading through 4.x. If you do have some Confluence pages with links to local/SAN/other types of links (think non-standard link types here) the upgrade to 4.x carries the risk of not processing them correctly to the new XHTML storage format.

They may have added a post-function to try and remigrate these, but in my experience with support, it became an issue of manually updating xxxxx number of confluence pages with these non-standard links. Usually the non-standard links were to other types of issue trackers or file storage systems that had proprietary url links instead of standard ones.

If this is something that you might worry about, skip the 4 series and go to 5.0.3.

Rob Murray May 8, 2014

OK. Thanks for the reply and help guys, very much appreciated!

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 7, 2014

The only way to be sure is to test it. However,

You absolutely must get to 3.5.x first. (I say x because jumping to 4.something does work for 3.5.11, 3.5.13 and 3.5.17, and probably the ones between as well. But I'd strongly recommend .17)

It is possible to jump to 5.0 from 3.5. But I don't recommend it. Go through 4.something

You're right about the conversion - both 4 and 5 will see "ohh, wiki markup, need to convert that"

1 vote
Timothy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 7, 2014

This is the official guide (https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/DOC/Upgrading+Confluence). There is a matrix there you can use.

0 votes
Rob Murray May 7, 2014

OK, Thanks Timothy - I've seen that Matrix. It goes 3.4 to 3.5.17 to 5.03 to 5.5. This sounds good, as 5.x will convert markup to xhtml as Nic mentioned.

Nic, it's interesting to hear (or see) that you recommend going from 3.5.17 to 4.x instead of from 3.5.17 to 5.x seeing as 5.x will perform the markup conversion.

Is there any specific reason as to why you recommend 4.x as part of the path?

Thanks again guys

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 7, 2014

Three miserable failures to jump from 3.5.17 to 5.something basically, and no successes yet (although I'm about to trial it on a fourth site tomorrow)

I should say that we didn't go into a lot of detail about why it failed so I don't know exactly why. The 3.5->4 we had trialled before worked fine each time. The sites are also large, with quite a lot of plugins and complex usage.

Tomorrow's site is of a moderate size and the only plugin I'm worried about is the Zen one (mainly because of my inexperience with it, not the actual plugin). So it might well be fine.

Rob Murray May 8, 2014

So based on past experience, I'm gathering that you've had issues going through the process without including version 4 in your upgrade path-

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 8, 2014

That's what I said, yes.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events