It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Annoyed (again) at terrible copying and pasting. Any improvement in 7.x?

sigh

Earlier today, in part of a cluster of related pages, I diverged from the way I had been putting placeholders where I need them (SME consult needed / need to look at my notes / have the info, but just need to figure out how to write it). Why I did is known only to my subconscious.

To re-align things, it meant copying and pasting an Expand macro. And then, because of the "glory" of Confluence, all kinds of hand-waving so that things didn't look terrible.

We're on 6.9.0. Are you as fed up as I am with the absolutely terrible copying and pasting in Confluence?

We aborted an upgrade last year. I know that when we do upgrade, it'll be to 7.x, and I'm hoping that's this year.

Will copying and pasting get better, when we do? I've seen discussion of a new editor, can't remember its name, but I wonder if that's Atlassian actually listening to their customers and making something better. There's always a first time, right?

And maybe that editor's worse, but it's hard to see how it could be.
/rant off

Pat O'Connell
Technical Writer
MindGeek Montreal

P.S. Runs in a browser, so there are limits? MS once implemented multiple Office apps purely in a browser, and did a nice job of it. And for all I know, Office 365 is precisely that, with Chromium somewhere under the hood.

1 answer

@Patrick_O_Connell I can't say that I've seen an incredible improvement in this area. :(

As far as the new editor goes, I think that is only planned for Confluence Cloud at this point, and is still pretty early in its development. It improves on a lot but it's feature limited at this point. Not sure if it fixes some of these complaints with copying though.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published in Confluence Cloud

Convert your old pages to the new editor

Hey Community 👋, Following the recent release of the new editor, we will be releasing the ability for users to convert existing pages from the legacy editor to the new editor. We’ve been resp...

1,382 views 17 15
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you