Allow only users with corresponding space permissions for page restrictions

Jan February 15, 2019

To most of our users the permissions / restrictions concept is quite confusing. I like it a lot and think it makes sense, but one thing would really be very helpful: 

If I want to restrict a page, I should only be able to select users who have the necessary page permissions: If I select  a user for viewing in page restrictions, this user will never find the page unless he has view permission to the corresponding space.

Same thing with edit restrictions on pages: When user A has no edit permissions in the space, I can still add him for editing in page restrictions, even though this will not work, 

So a message on screen or a filtered user selection in restrictions would save a lot of questions and time in our company. A lot. :) 

3 answers

1 vote
Jonathan Smith
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 15, 2019

@Jan 

You are absolutely correct in your statements. Our users also feel they can grant users editing access to a page even though they don't have access to the space.

I would love to see Atlassian update the application so the user picker only displays users within the space permissions... or only users in those current restrictions.

- Jonathan

0 votes
Zak Laughton
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 18, 2019

Hi Jan!

Your request sounds a lot like an existing bug ticket we have open with our developers: CONFSERVER-57430 - Page restrictions dialog has misleading language regarding permissions. The product team implements bug fixes according to the Atlassian Server Bug Fix Policy. If you're interested in seeing this improved in the future, I recommend voting for the ticket and watching the ticket for updates.

I hope this helps!
– Zak

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 18, 2019

It does look odd, and it's that way because you also have groups to check in restrictions, and that becomes a bit of a pain.  Atlassian have not really tried to fix it.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events