Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

After updating Confluence, the accented characters in the articles title appear like question marks

Charles Focant December 23, 2022

image.png

3 answers

0 votes
Alex Bourdeau January 16, 2023

To get around this behaviour add the following to the JVM startup options:
-Dfile.encoding=UTF8

More info here: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONFSERVER-81330

Charles Focant January 18, 2023

Hi Alex,

I'm not the one who installed and manage Jira and Confluence.

Maybe you could guide me. How do I add the option?

Is there a file somewhere where I need to add this line?

Alex Bourdeau January 18, 2023

Hi @Charles Focant

Follow those instructions to add -Dfile.encoding=UTF8 parameter to your JVM startup

https://confluence.atlassian.com/doc/configuring-system-properties-168002854.html

Have a nice day !

0 votes
Fabio Racobaldo _Herzum_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 25, 2022

Hi @Charles Focant ,

as said by @Benjamin probably it is an issue due to db character encoding.

Please take a look to the following troubleshooting article https://confluence.atlassian.com/doc/troubleshooting-character-encodings-167194.html

Fabio

Alex Bourdeau January 13, 2023

Same issue.
It seems to be with the page tree macro. Other macros looks OK.

0 votes
Benjamin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 23, 2022

HI @Charles Focant ,

Haven't encounter this issue during an upgrade. I'm wondering if there was a DB encoding issue. May want to check your troubleshooting and support page to wee if there's any fail checks. 

It would be good to indicate what version you were upgrading from and to in case another member has gone through the same upgrade path.

-Ben

Charles Focant January 4, 2023

@Benjamin  

7.18.3 -> 7.20.1 -> 8.01 ->8.02

So I'm currently at 8.0.2.

Please note that the accented characters show wrong only in the left column, not in the articles.

image.png

I don't see why there would be a problem in the database. I'm a junior sysadmin and have little knowledge about databases and Atlassian Products. I was hoping someone could help me.

Benjamin
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 5, 2023

It may have impacted it because the character may need to be change when upgrading.

Here's a documentation for further troubleshooting. 

https://confluence.atlassian.com/doc/troubleshooting-character-encodings-167194.html

Charles Focant January 12, 2023

As per https://confluence.atlassian.com/doc/troubleshooting-character-encodings-167194.html

I followed the link to the test: /admin/encodingtest.action 

The test succeeded.

What does it mean?

I have the impression it is not an issue with the database but with the iframe on the left side of the page.

TEST RESULTS:

Test 1: Raw text
This is the test string generated in Confluence

Iñtërnâtiônàlizætiøn

Test 2: Form submission
This is the test string pasted by you into the web form and submitted back to Confluence

Iñtërnâtiônàlizætiøn

Test 3: Database round-trip (select as lower-case)
This is the string from Test 2 after being stored in the database and then retrieved as lower-case

iñtërnâtiônàlizætiøn

Expected result (converting Java string to lowercase)

iñtërnâtiônàlizætiøn

Test 4: Database round-trip (select as upper-case)
This is the string from Test 2 after being stored in the database and then retrieved as upper-case

IÑTËRNÂTIÔNÀLIZÆTIØN

Expected result (converting Java string to uppercase)

IÑTËRNÂTIÔNÀLIZÆTIØN

Test 5: International file name support
Try to write a file to the confluence home directory with the test string as the file name

File was written successfully

Test 6: Detect international file name mangling
Detect whether the file system is mangling the file name when it is saved

The file name has been preserved

Benjamin
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 12, 2023

It means it is something else. Do you have the same issue using another browser or if someone else tries to login? This can help with isolating the issue for support 

Look at the end of the page on a link to raise a support request.

Thanks,

Ben

Charles Focant January 13, 2023

Hello Ben,

I tried Chrome, Firefox and Edge, it happens on all of these browsers.

It also happens for other users.

There is no link to raise a support request, but I was told by the support that our 10 agents bundle does not allow us to open a support ticket...

Benjamin
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 13, 2023

Hi Charles,

Thanks for the update. # of Agents are tied to the JSM product. 

For confluence, is determine by the number of users tier. If you are on paid standard license for confluence server, you should be able to get support from Atlassian.

Here's the support link:

https://support.atlassian.com/contact/#/

-Ben

Charles Focant January 16, 2023

Hi Ben,

Unfortunately, I was told by atlassian we did not have access to support because of the fact we have the starter license.

Benjamin
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 17, 2023

HI @Charles Focant ,

got it. Looked at @Alex Bourdeau suggestion. Worth checking out to see if the workaround resolve your issue. It would require having admin access to the OS side to make the change. 

-Ben

Charles Focant January 18, 2023

Or maybe, instead of tweaking stuff, I could wait until the next Confluence release?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events