After update Confluence tp 6.1.0 version it is not working

Burlakov Eduard December 18, 2018

Hello,

I have an old Confluence server of 4.2.4 version. And I have a Confluence server of 6.12.2 version.

On the new server, working users but and old server working users (other). I need to transfer a workspace with old server to new server. For this, I read the instruction https://confluence.atlassian.com/doc/upgrading-confluence-4578.html

The instruction says that a manual upgrade from version 4.x to version 5.10 is required and to version 6.x after.

I tried this method but I did not succeed. Confluence does not start.
I tried to update Confluence consistently from version to version. And here is the same problem on version 6.1.0, Confluence does not start. (After update with 6.0.7 to 6.1.0 version).

Version 6.0.7 was working and started well.

How do I solve the problem of running version 6.1.0?
Or how can I upgrade from version 6.1.0 to version 6.12.2 so that I can transfer data to another server?

1 answer

0 votes
Diego
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 19, 2018

Hello there!
Thanks for posting your situation here in our Community Burlakov!

For you to be able to restore spaces in Confluence 6.12.2, the instance from where the spaces are coming from needs to be at least at Version 5.3.x. With this information, we now know that you can import spaces from your Old Confluence at 5.10.x or 6.0.7 version:

Screen Shot 2018-12-19 at 11.07.12.png

However, if you do need to have the older instance upgraded, we may need to better understand what happens after upgrading to 6.1.0. As a note, when you reach Confluence 5.10.x, you could make the upgrade straight into 6.6.9 (our previous enterprise release) or even into 6.13.0 (our current latest). There is not strict need to make the upgrade gradually.

You can check the following logs for some clues on why the instance start is failing:

- atlassian-confluence.log under <confluence-home>/logs
    - these should give you leads on why the instance fails to start if it reaches the stage of starting the java application

- catalina.log under <confluence-install>/logs
    - this one comes into play before the java application start up and may give you an idea on why the java application fails

Some questions for clarification:

1- is there any error shown when you try to access Confluence 6.1.0?
2- how was the upgrade procedure executed, exactly as shown under the documentation?
3- have you used the manual installation process or the automatic installer?
4- is the JVM compatible with Confluence 6.1.0?
5- is the database compatible with Confluence 6.1.0?

Confluence 6.1.x - Supported Platforms

For short:

If your objective is to grab a space from 
your old Confluence (Currently sitting at 6.0.7 per your question)
and import it into a newer Confluence (at version 6.12.2),
there should be no need to upgrade the old Confluence any further than this.

Let us know if this help you out!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events