3.5.13 to 5.0.3 Upgrade fails on "Duplicate key name like_cid_idx"

Peter Eisenschmidt February 17, 2014

Hello there,

I was doing an upgrade on confluence. But I stuck on a specific part.

First I show you which steps I am doing:

We have a new and an old server. On the old server runs that instance that needs to be upgraded. On the new server I am testing the upgrade

- setup a clean 3.4.8 linux standalone on the testserver
- migrate the confluence-data folder from the old server to the testserver
- full db dump of the old server (mysql)
- migrate the db to the new server
- edit settings on the new server (DB settings and confluence data)
- start 3.4.8.
- wait, see if it's ok
- shut it down

- setup a clean 3.5.13 linux standalone on the testserver
- edit the settings to work with the db and confluence-home
- start 3.5.13
- wait, see if it's ok
- shut it down

- start the 5.0.3 bin for linux
- use default settings
- install with sudo
- wait for start
- error occurs in the log

ERROR [main] [atlassian.confluence.upgrade.UpgradeLauncherServletContextListener] contextInitialized Upgrade failed, application will not start: Upgrade task com.atlassian.confluence.upgr
ade.upgradetask.LikesSqlConstraintsUpgradeTask@32c6dd3d failed during the UPGRADE phase due to: StatementCallback; bad SQL grammar [create index like_cid_idx on LIKES (CONTENTID)]; nested exception is com.mysql.
jdbc.exceptions.jdbc4.MySQLSyntaxErrorException: Duplicate key name 'like_cid_idx'

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Steve Gerstner [bridgingIT]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 17, 2014

You should first migrate to 4.3 and after that to 5.x

I guess not, because the documentation told me to move to 3.5. then 5.0.3
See here: Upgrading Confluence

Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 17, 2014

I'm not sure, where I have read it, but you have to go to 5.2 and then I think even on 5.3 to come to 5.4.

And every question here asking for your topic says, from 3.5 to 4.3 and then to 5. Take a look an this discussion: https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/234876/recommended-upgrade-path-confluence-3-4-5-3

But discussions seem to differ from the documentation. I guess a confluence supporter needs to join this conversation.

Edit: I also need to mention that I temporarly solved that problem with deleting the "LIKES" table in the db. But still I am not sure why this problem occurs. I've redone that process several times and it always occurs.

Rising Star
Rising Star
February 17, 2014

Try it with 4.3, that worked for me. And I have done this several times too ;)

I am doing what you suggest - but even here this error occurs. And again it can be resolved manually by deleting the table LIKES.

I am doing the same as mentioned on top, just 4.3.7 added in between.

So its now this way:

3.4.8 -> 3.5.13 -> 4.3.7 -> 5.0.3 -> 5.4.2

I have to drop the table LIKES at version 4.3.7

Rising Star
Rising Star
February 17, 2014

there should be no talbe called likes when migrating fom 3.5 to 4.3 because the like feature is one of confluence 4.

Can you please verify that the table is not present in 3.4 and 3.5?

I have accepted and upvoted your answer. Thank you for helping out on this bug/problem.

I can confirm that this table does not exist on 3.4.8
I did not check the 3.5.13. But I will do it and edit this post.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events