reconciling installation instructions with troubleshooting causes

David Pressley November 30, 2020

Could someone help me understand the nuance between the installation instructions on this page: 

(Specifically this section on the page:)

Screen Shot 2020-11-30 at 5.10.36 PM.png

With the cause listed on this page for the exception: "java.lang.IllegalStateException: Spring Application context has not been set" 

Screen Shot 2020-11-30 at 5.11.59 PM.png

1 comment

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 30, 2020

The installer is not Confluence.  The idea is that you run the installer as root, as it needs to create the dedicated user, a pile of directories and unpack files into them.

It should then exit, (optionally) starting Confluence as the dedicated non-root user.

Hopefully, you have not started it as the root user, but if you have, stop it, then  use

chown -R charlie:charlie <confluence data>

chown -R charlie:charlie <confluence install>

Replacing charlie with the dedicated user.  Then restart Confluence while logged in as Charlie (or use systemctl or the init.d which will handle that for you)

David Pressley November 30, 2020

Hi Nic,

Thanks for the response

I ran the installer as root: sudo ./atlassian-confluence-7.9.1-x64.bin

I selected all the default options

I did not start Confluence at all. The installer did that:

Screen Shot 2020-11-30 at 7.42.32 PM.pngYet, when I try to access it, I get the Spring Application context error. Based on the above message, I'm not entirely sure why I'm being told my installation of Confluence 7.9.1 is ready and can be accessed by my browser, if in fact, it simply cannot be accessed by my browser.

I have recursively taken ownership of the data and install directories by 'confuser' and have attempted to systemctl start confluence as 'confuser' to no avail.

Thanks for any help you might be able to provide

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 1, 2020

Ok, you'll need to look at more of the log to see what the top-level error is being caused by.

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events