Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Untangling Confluence Permissions

Julie Tholen May 23, 2018

Greetings,

As a contract Technical Writer, I often have to come up to speed on a client's tools in very short order, which is just SOP. But when it comes to untangling permissions for those tools, that can be a headache.

I have client who wants to lock down editing one space for everyone but one group. However, there are a few pages in that space that need to be edited fairly frequently. The client would like a subset of the whole user group to have edit permissions for just those few pages. So far I have been unable to carve out restrictions on just those pages.

I even created a new space and restricted editing to the specific group. However, the member from out side of that group could also edit.

I am thinking there is an overlap, perhaps duel membership to group that has edit permissions.

Any suggestions on how to start straightening out, at lease so I have a clearer picture of what is going on? I am obviously missing some connection. Maybe there is a report of some kind that could be run?

Cheers,

Julie

2 answers

0 votes
Julie Tholen June 6, 2018

Thank you!

The solution in this case was to create a group with the appropriate create and edit permissions; created a  new space to host the special pages they would need to edit, but gave everyone view permissions to that space. Moved the pages that needed to be accessible into new space. I created "directory" page with in the main content so that the users could easily access to view the pages. Also put hyperlinks on various related pages. Also created a group specific label for each special page.

0 votes
Kurt Klinner
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 23, 2018

@Julie Tholen

Hi Julie,

you can use the user list macro to check if the users are member of overlapping user groups to clarify the question related to the space permissions.

Within the space you could restrict certain pages or page trees to single users or groups of users by using the page restrictions option

https://confluence.atlassian.com/doc/page-restrictions-139414.html

Let me know if that helps

Cheers

Kurt

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events