The new editing experience: we're listening

Viewing page 3 of 4

85 comments

Jake Dunda July 22, 2019

Bump, need to be able to fill a page with information.

Avinoam
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 24, 2019

@Jake Dunda it just went live!

eoin_kim July 23, 2019

Hi Team,

Please update regarding this issue. Thanks.

Avinoam
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 24, 2019

@eoin_kim it just went live!

eoin_kim July 24, 2019

@AvinoamThanks mate.

Avinoam
Atlassian Team
July 24, 2019

Hi all,

I'm happy to update that Full Width mode is now available as a toggle for all pages in the new editor. You'll find it to the right of the breadcrumbs when you're in the editor just above the page title.

Thanks,

Avinoam

Like Felipe Castro likes this
Cameron LaBorde-Zank July 24, 2019

image.pngunless you are viewing a page at 1440p

John Fenger July 24, 2019

Ok this is much much better and i'm happy to see more of the width.  But when do i get the rest of the width back?  Again full company 100+ users all on 24inch 4k monitors.  (mostly 2 of them)... why are we only at 80% here... and why is it oddly off set with this bonus space on the right...   

2nd And How can i make this default (or remember my preference/last used) so every time someone creates a page they don't have to click this mostly wide link.  100% of our users hate narrow, i mean our most popular slack cannel has been bitching about the new confluence... pretty much all about the silly width... and now anything that is narrow is now a running joke/reference to confluence....  but i digress... my other issue is many of my users don't know how to do anything beyond the basics in the product, so its going to be a challenge to teach them to expand the width each time. 

rest of the page.png

ALSO This does not seem to be working in the template builder.  which is a real bummer since we have been holding off updating all our templates til this was fixed... i mean its hard to call this fixed but its at least better then nothing.  So copy paste old template pages i still the standard then.  

Like # people like this
Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 24, 2019

It looks like there is a max-width of 1800px that is applied to the page content. You can see it in the page CSS.

Like Cameron LaBorde-Zank likes this
Felipe Castro July 24, 2019

This seems to be working well on my side.  Thanks for fixing this problem!

kpink September 5, 2019

When can I add a new section that is just a single column on cloud!!!  So much wasted space

thomas.ohrbom August 5, 2019

Things are moving forward, and we are for the most part very happy with the new editor.

The major issues for us right now are the following:

1. We can now setup the page with a right or left sidebar. But table width does not scale correctly in sidebar columns! In the editor the tables will look perfect, with width adjusted automatically to fit within the column borders. As soon as we publish and go to View mode, the tables in the sidebar will have horizontal scroll bars! This makes it impossible for us to use sidebars, as we tend to very often add content in tables. Please fix this Atlassian! Vote for the issue here -> https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONFCLOUD-67336
  2. The onboarding of new users have to be improved. We desperately need the ability to completely disable the Who's on your team? and Choose a space to work in steps when users login for the first time. Vote here -> https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONFCLOUD-41550
  3. Macros do not render correctly (or at all) when viewing pages on mobile devices (using the Confluence App). This results in users not being able to view draw.io images etc on mobile devices. We understand this is being worked on, so we patiently wait for it to be resolved.
Like # people like this
Avinoam
Atlassian Team
August 5, 2019

Thank you so much for the detailed feedback @thomas.ohrbom as always. I've made sure to take this in to the teams and that we're across them!

Like thomas.ohrbom likes this
Martin Ellis February 6, 2020

Why should we vote for failing functionality fixes? They should ensure the new interface replicates the old one before rolling it out. Is there no pride?

Social media voting is an aspect of this supplier that will need to be taken into consideration in terms of future projects' delivery and support. 

Peter Kidson August 22, 2019

For anyone who has used the old editor,   the new one is just pathetic.   
Please have a setting so the user can choose which format to use.

Like # people like this
Jan Stähle August 27, 2019

Dear Atlassians,
First of all - The new editor is great! - it is much cleaner and the pages that are created are more streamlined across the whole organization, which makes the products within confluence much more professional. 

There is one function I would like to ask for. When you have text across multiple columns horizontally, it is aligned perfectly: 

chrome_w1u87WIfQG.png

When centering the second and aligning right the third column, these two are not aligned to the text in the first column.

chrome_CpD0uxpNXd.png

It would be great if the text bricks would always align vertically, like in a table - this would  make sense from my perspective. It would enable to not use a table which looks better. What do you guys think? 

Best,
Jan

Cameron LaBorde-Zank August 28, 2019

When is this going to be done? When is template editing/creation going to be final? Or do you consider this a final product because its shipped? Also why don't templates auto save? How do the features brought up during the atlassian summit that do not appear on your roadmap square with this open and honest policy? 

Tony Halse August 28, 2019

We've just been moved to the new editor. I generate confluence pages using the REST API and would like to know if there is a way to control the page format. eg using the old editor, the tables were more readable because they held a lot of data but now they are squished into the middle of the page. Also, the width given to table columns has changed so now columns that do not really need as much space are given too generous an amount, making columns containing a lot of data far too tall. So to summarise:

1. Can you set full width for a page using the REST API?

2. Is there a way (using the API) to set the width of table columns to the minimum necessary for that column (ie the same as in the previous editor)

Ricardo Clements August 28, 2019

This was posed on a negative thread in the community and adding it here as well...

Recently there was a Linkedin post by Atlassian about sunk cost fallacy and I wonder if its not exhibiting itself here... With all the negative commentary I have read over the last set of months, its difficult to believe that Atlassian is listening.

I believe many believe its not anyone at Atlassian who should be asserting what paying customers confluence sites look like.  Imposing a layout, removing tools to design layouts as desired is simply a disregard for your customer base.  Whomever is driving customer experience should be taken to task.  This is not Wordpress!

I have been watching the evolution of Confluence since very early on and progressively the tools to fully control how content is presented and ability to nuance structure erode with each successive release. First you introduced the Wysiwig editor (and kept the wiki markup (a la C2.com) but then you changed your storage format and too bad for those who liked wiki markup.  Then the macros slowly started to disappear..  etc. etc..

If the desire is to provide layout options to the user base that's one thing but forcing a single view and removing the ability to control layout and related tooling creates discontent for your loyal fans. Making it easier for some at the expense of removing tooling that has built a loyal fan base is a questionable strategy which could come back to haunt. 

Like # people like this
Bob Allan August 29, 2019

Well said.  I concur.

Maurice Pasman August 29, 2019

Could you fix the hyperlink? Can't wait to read (and reply to!) this post ;).

Like # people like this
Patrick Nelson November 8, 2019

I was able to hunt down the article that @Ricardo Clements was referring to here: 

https://www.linkedin.com/posts/atlassian_sunk-cost-fallacy-when-we-cant-help-but-activity-6572109100824567808-i_nD/

Sunk cost fallacy: when we can’t help but stick with things we’ve already invested time and energy in because of what it’s cost us.

It doesn't matter how many reasons there are to change. We'll say to each other: "We’ve come too far!" and "It’s too late!" or "Our reputation will take a hit if we roll back now."

While this way of thinking and operating might seem to make our lives easier in the present moment, falling victim to this cognitive bias isn't great the long run. It stops us from coming up with innovative ways to solve customers’ problems, devise product strategies, and make complex decisions. We'll have a hard time moving forward if we're stuck in our old ways!

If you feel this bias starting to creep into your team's thought process, try asking:

- “If we hadn’t already invested in [this existing option], would we still do so now? What would we say to a colleague if they were in the same situation?”

- “I think we might be overthinking trivial issues. Thought experiment: say I wave my magic wand and that [trivial issue] is now completely fixed. What would we do now?”

- “What are the actual risks/effects of doing this new option? How do they compare to the risks/effects of the current option? Do some of us see it as more risky than others?"

Like Peter Finney likes this
Kimi March 25, 2020
  • I am glad to see the new editor looks clean and nice, but very sad to see Confluence team remove many important features we needed
  • From before, there is no Numbered Headings to support writing Wiki or Document with table of content, we have to type in the number our self for every section
  • Now we cannot even control our layout neither, where fixed width full with view is not possible.
  • We cannot even increase or decrease the text size, the only way to do it is using Heading, otherwise we must know some basic HTML to make it happen I believe. Not everyone is so Tech Savy in a company.

It looks like Atlassian wants us to purchase 3rd party plugin for every little feature we need. 

Like Bad Developer likes this
Peter Kidson August 30, 2019

If you are really listening.  KEEP THE OLD EDITOR TEMPLATE AS AN OPTION FOREVER

Like # people like this
Michael Lerman September 6, 2019

I like the new tables, one ask though, can you please add row reorder. Basically sometimes I'd like to move a row up or down within the table.

Tony Halse September 6, 2019

The editor for our site has gone back to the old one. I automatically generate new confluence pages each day using the REST API so I now have pages with the new format for Aug28-Sep6 and the old format outside of that range. This is crazy! What's going on?

Leon Cappel September 26, 2019

I actually arrived here after a week of "give feedback" actions, detailing how the basics like "not losing work" are missing when you have a spotty internet connection.

If you give people a feedback-button, it's nice to give them at least the idea that somebody actually cares about the time wasted by the product and by talking to a wall.

Summary: the editor experience sucks with spotty internet and loses work.

Thanks.

Tiffany
Atlassian Team
October 1, 2019

Hi Confluence fans! If you're interested in the new page viewing experience on mobile, check out this post!

Like Jacob Young likes this
Peter Finney November 7, 2019

You're obviously not listening to your "fans". Nobody is interested in your new page experience because 1) it's horrible, and 2) it doesn't work.

Creating templates is completely broken for me, aside from being a really poor experience with degraded functionality it simply does not work.

Like # people like this
Justin Rinearson October 3, 2019

Is there anyway to turn on fixed width for column sizes instead of having everything be responsive? All my tables are wrapping text and are unreadable.

Martin Ellis November 3, 2019

You have dropped the old 'create new page' option today in Confluence.

The create new page does not provide the same output as the old one.

e.g. Full screen tables are problematic.

Please re-instate the old create new page option. You can call it the 'classic new page'.

People need to have a choice. I am now having to copy old pages to get the correct functionality. This is even slower than before. This has been raised as an issue and ignored. 

Patrick Nelson November 8, 2019

Copying my comment here as well; could someone please let me know when it's possible to have full width by default? Add me to the list of users who really don't like this new layout.

---

Full width by default: That's what I'm here for. I just got thrusted into this "new" interface and, while I'm glad that full width is back (again), I'm pretty frustrated with having to constantly click every single time I create a new page. That's just a little annoying;

What's worse is if other developers go in to create documentation, they have to do this too. Otherwise, we end up with this crazy looking mashup of two different layouts, and it's not only cluttered looking but it's a little jarring. Not to mention that new layout doesn't look good as it's not properly aligned with anything.

Sharon Helms
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 8, 2019

Hi Patrick, 

Atlassian recently enabled the ability to set full width by default at a user level. So while you and each developer will need to follow this step -- you'll all only need to do it once. 

From your Profile pic in lower-left corner > Settings > Your Settings > Editor. There you can select the option to "Enable full-width as the default for new pages."

Hope this helps! - Sharon

Screen Shot 2019-11-08 at 7.05.25 PM.png

Christoph Kuhnke November 10, 2019

OMG - to this sounds so much like Atlassian made something worse and offers the user to waste his time by clicking "revert". That's weird, folks.

Peter Natale January 14, 2020

The title of this page is hilarious. Let me make it clear, you are NOT listening. It is 9 months later and i am still find basic bugs (yes they are bugs, not feature requests) every damn day. I am wasting hours per week trying to figure out how to do what should be simple and i used to do easily only to find you took away the function and are ignoring the support tickets (or worse closing old ones and open new ones to meet KPIs..) Then i have to tell my user base 'Sorry... you cant do that anymore' and i lose another users support (and a UI fairy dies somewhere)

Let me give you some examples

* link to a page that doesnt exist - read that tickets comment logs and you can just see the hate drip off the page

* add an image from another page, or even an existing attachment to the page - Nope! Who would want to do that?

* link to another page - only if you went there recently! Otherwise you are out of luck!

This stuff is basic and saying we dont need it is an insult. The motto of Confluence should now be 'We nailed mediocrity!' Surely you cannot be proud of this product, but you can turn it around. Just stop the tap dancing, admit you screwed up and work with us. We WANT to help you, but you have to let us!

Like # people like this
Helen Gosper January 14, 2020

'add an image from another page' UPVOTE x 1000

Careful @Helen Gosper , they might remove the Upvote button then put it as a feature request on the long term backlog... oh wait, thats Jira, they listen ;)

I have more

Lets do our document management on Confluence - Nope, we are going to break the companion and the effect is Minor!?!?!?!?  https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONFCLOUD-68089

Team Calendars are great - but you cant embed them anymore!  https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONFCLOUD-66949

But.... we will still charge 50% of the cost of Confluence for an addon that is only partially working!  I question how you can charge for a service that doesn't meet the description on the box....

Like # people like this
Christoph Kuhnke January 15, 2020

I think it's time to move on.
https://tech.co/project-management-software/best-project-management-software
Asana looks quite good for me.

Bob Allan August 4, 2020

Just spent more unproductive time linking images from attachments to cells in the page where they belong.

The inability to insert as an image a file which is already attached to the page is a show-stopper major blocker bug.

The inability of the image insertion gadget recently uploaded files feature to display the files that are currently attached to a page is a major show-stopper major blocker bug.  How did they get there if they weren't uploaded?  But, although uploaded, they are not presented in options of recently uploaded files.

Frustrated again, user of many years, reputation damage from recommending these tools. ARGH!!!!!

Like # people like this
Shaun Newman January 22, 2020

Can I get my companies Confluence back onto the old experience? This new experience is horrid and it is driving us nuts!!!

We have a page we just created that used page properties macros to pull information in for a report. In edit mode looks fine - ish but workable, in preview mode looks fine, publish and the font is HUGE and the columns uncontrollably size how they like and squash the data in two columns so it's totally unreadable!!! this is really not acceptable, we need to go back.

Like # people like this
Christoph Kuhnke January 22, 2020

Me too!

David King January 22, 2020

I think Atlassian's position has been fairly consistent on this.

• Customers are being moved to the new editor and there is no real flexibility on when that happens. I tried to defer my company's change via a ticket and had no luck.
  • Any features in the new editor that do not work, as well as ones that were dropped, are logged as JIRA tickets. Users can vote on those, and (presumably) that will govern the order in which such tickets are addressed.
  • In the near future, all content data will be migrated and legacy macros will no longer be supported. In cases where pages are broken by the migration, users will need to fix each page.

If the plan has changed, perhaps someone from Atlassian can comment.

Like # people like this
Heidy Suwidji January 28, 2020

Hello - I cannot see the 'full-width' mode under my Editor. I believe we are on Server, not Cloud.

Can you please advise?

Bob Sovers January 28, 2020

@Heidy Suwidji  --- You should feel lucky.  You are on the Confluence Server edition, so all of these issues with the Confluence Cloud editor (and especially full-width) do not apply to you.

Arthur Mack
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 3, 2020

They fixed full width on the Fabric editor, works fine now.

Hale Xie March 7, 2020

Today, I worked on a confluence page and struggled with the new editor

1. I accidentally removed an image. I wanted to add it back from the attachment. I cannot do that in the new editor
  2. I uploaded a small svg. The svg looks good in the editor mode. But the svg is huge when previewing the page.
  3. I resized the svg. But the text in the svg became blocks.
  4. I converted the svg to PDF and uploaded it to the page. But I cannot change the border and position of PDF. So the PDF looks bad in the page
  5. I finally converted the svg to PNG and attach it to the page. In editor mode, the png looks good in 100%. But in view mode, the png has a different size: It is hug. I have to resize the png and lose some image quality.
Karri Adkins March 10, 2020

Oh my, these posts are a little old, but all that I am seeing above there doesn't appear to be a fix for anything.

• I can't align a macro in a page layout section
  • I can't select a full-width page layout.
  • I can't move a page layout section added up or down.
  • I can't add additional text outside a page layout section or it doesn't align with anything.
  • I can't add text in between page layout sections, even if I could, it looks horrible b/c it doesn't align w/ anything.
  • I can't place a macro inside anything to arrange my page.  Macros just kind of sit where ever.....

I'm so frustrated I want to tell my team to file word docs instead.  There is no flexibility, and this says there is more?  I can't find it.

Kimi March 25, 2020

Hello @Avinoam 

• Is there any new updates and road-map for the Full width mode with the new editor?
  • Our company is struggling to use the new editor due to the fact that there is no options for adjusting Table and content manually as we wanted. We need desperately to have the same option as the old editor where we can between Fixed or Responsive mode. Is there any workaround you can teach me? Cos I am not so good with coding/HTML
  • When adding photo into a table, there is no way to adjust the photo/image size neither. Is there a trick to resize the photo in a cell/table?

The new Editor is clean and nice, but so poor features to select from. :(

Thanks in advance

Like # people like this
Ash Helm June 8, 2020

IT ISN'T FULL WIDTH!!! On a large 4 K monitor for a "Full Width" page I have approx 1/3 of the page vertical as white space that I cannot use. Both sides of the text I have these massive margins - its f***ing retarded. Atlassian don't you test this functionality when you build it? This is software development 101 stuff. Please stop calling this "Full Width" because its not & get your head out of your arse and start testing your work! Happy to discuss. 

Like Jiri likes this

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events