The new editing experience: we're listening

Viewing page 2 of 4

85 comments

karl May 15, 2019

Hi I am a little confused about the new features,aren't they supposed to be improvements?

First, since i am not following Atlassian news, i was not aware that the new editor has been rolled out. so i spent a little of time today trying to figure out why pages in the same spaces were acting differently. I guess it is on me for not staying informed.

With previous editor i could drop pdf files in a page and get a nice thumbnail with the first page of pdf displayed. with the new editor i get a box with a check mark with no option to resize, display as a link or whatever.  am i missing something ?

Same for the link feature, i did not figure out how to create a link that direct to an attachment.

If someone has advice, please let me know. i am probably missing something, it is not possible that such basic features went MIA.

The overall feeling is that paying customers are being used as beta testers.

An option to roll back to previous editor, would be welcomed until bugs are fixed, features level match at least the previous version, and a proper documentation is availbale to understand how the new editor works.

Thanks

Like # people like this
Nanthees Paskar May 16, 2019

I've had to resort to copying and pasting old pages to use full width. 

Like # people like this
karl May 16, 2019

i am doing the same, copying old pages so i can use the old style editor to be able to use basic functions....

Bob Sovers June 13, 2019

If you are like me, and stuck with a new space that has no old content to copy, I found a way to get an old style editor page.  Just use the "How-to article" template to create a dummy how-to article.  Once that page is created, the template should also create a report page entitled "How-to articles".  The report page uses the old-style editor.  It can then be copied, its contents deleted, and used as a basis for getting new pages that use the old-style editor.

Crystal May 16, 2019

Looking forward to the option for full-width content!
Right now the macros give me the option to display as wide or full width and then shows correctly in the editor, but after publishing the page, it still only displays as centered and too narrow.

Avinoam
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 16, 2019

@Crystal we're actively testing it internally and ironing out all the kinks, so I'll be sure to keep everyone posted on when it's arriving. 

The left and right sidebar layouts (Columns) are already live for your use. We're working on adding the two sidebar layout as well very soon.

Like # people like this
jemm1 May 16, 2019

Hi @Avinoam  Can you let everyone know here when we will get the option to use the OLD editor on NEW pages? 

Please respond to this request.

Whatever you want to do with the new editor is fine but you should provide the old editor as an option now on new pages so customers don't have to continue suffering the problems with the new editor.

Thanks

Like # people like this
David Andrianavalontsalama May 17, 2019

And we want the old editor for new pages + blog posts.

Like # people like this
Felipe Castro May 20, 2019

Just to add my voice.  The full-width option to use the old format is very much needed.

Like # people like this
Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 21, 2019

"We're going to add in two more column options; both two columns, with the option of a left or right sidebar."

@Avinoam What about the three column layout with the wide center and narrow side columns? That is also in the old editor and should be in the new editor as well.

Like Cameron LaBorde-Zank likes this
Avinoam
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 21, 2019

@Davin Studer we're adding that one too very soon as well!

Like Davin Studer likes this
jemm1 May 21, 2019

@Avinoam  when is the option to use the old editor on new pages going to be restored? Thanks

Like # people like this
Avinoam
Atlassian Team
May 23, 2019

@Davin Studer the three column layout with the wide center and narrow side columns is now live and available as well.

Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 23, 2019

Schweet!! That's awesome. Thanks.

Arnaud Cuzzolin May 22, 2019

Hi, Can I choose the confluence version to install on premise ?

It's for me unthinkable to propose to a company a new software with such kind of interface.

Thanks,

Maurice Pasman May 22, 2019

AFAIK, Confluence Server is not yet using the new editor. Cloud customers are used for beta testing ;-).

Like # people like this
David Andrianavalontsalama May 22, 2019

Yup. Loyal and paying customers used for beta testing, without the ability to opt-out. What a business model.

Like # people like this
Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 22, 2019

Server and Data Center do not use the fabric editor. I talked with the server team at Summit and was told that they do not have any plans for moving server to the fabric editor.

Like Arnaud Cuzzolin likes this
Cameron LaBorde-Zank May 22, 2019

Wow.

Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 22, 2019

That doesn't mean they won't have plans for it in the future ... just that there are no plans right now. Honestly, I would expect that at some point in the future they will add it to server if the kinks can be worked out. I actually like parts of it (live view of the macros, the intentionality toward mobile, the intentionality toward ease of use). But they have removed too many necessary features that it would not be possible for us to ever switch with they way it is currently.

Like Nicky Sandhu likes this
jemm1 May 22, 2019

Hi @Avinoam - can you please provide a date when we have the option to use the OLD editor on NEW pages?  That probably is a 1 day code change to make and would eliminate all the concerns with the new editor while you work on that. Thanks

Like # people like this
Bob Sovers June 13, 2019

It is a hidden attribute of all pages.  Atlassian just needs to make it visible.

Siegfried_Foessel May 28, 2019

It is nice to have different page widths, but exact control of individual elements would be better. E.g. it seems impossible to arrange a layout with multiple images and exact same width when coming from different sources or working with images in tables like in the original template for the team members. :(

This sliding resizer in the new editor is something for beginners but not for professionals.

John Fenger June 3, 2019

FULL WIDTH!  Please make confluence usable again!  

I should clarify. Please make this actual Full Width.  New editor in tables and macros has this really odd "full width" thing that actually just makes it a wider fixed width (like 80% of a 24in 4k monitor).  What i am asking for is no width limit here, fully responsive like the old pages are.  

Like # people like this
Chris Gaskins June 10, 2019

When will the Full Page Width be available?   This usability of Confluence and multiple column tables is severely compromised due to your redesign decision.   Please update on the date for the fix.   I am normally a huge fan of Confluence but this is a major issue....   

David Andrianavalontsalama June 5, 2019

This so-called “we’re listening” page is a disaster. To all: Know that Atlassian actually changes support tickets regarding this editor issue as: “FEATURE REQUESTS”, whereas what we are actually demanding is being able to use the OLD editor; That is, something that used to EXIST. It’s just not a new feature, and it’s just not a “listening” attitude from Atlassian. This behaviour causes frustration and, basically put, the feeling of being extorted. For months now we have been paying for something, not only bad, but which has replaced something good we don’t have access to, anymore.

To use precise words: The ability to use the old editor for blog posts is gone. For some professional users, this is very bad (because the new editor is so broken and makes you unproductive), and not at all what they wanted to pay for. Through private tickets, a public ticket, and this very page, Atlassian is urged to put back the old editor.

Like # people like this
jemm1 June 5, 2019

Well said. It's not a feature request at all. It's broken function to have removed the old editor as an option for new pages. Technically adding the old editor as an option on new pages is a small effort. I suspect there's a business problem behind this change.

Like # people like this
Bob Sovers June 13, 2019

Just wait... If you actually can convince Atlassian that something is a bug via a support ticket, the bug s usually only prioritized as "low"

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONFCLOUD-66771

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONFCLOUD-66843

These have just been marked as suggestions:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONFCLOUD-66530

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONFCLOUD-66529

Peter Kidson August 22, 2019

"We're listening"
Really?  If you really wanted to "listen", you'd make it a setting whether  to use the old or new editors.   The fact that you choose instead to force the new one on everyone, makes it crystal clear you realise what a crock the new one is, and that virtually noone would choose to use it given the choice.
I have been a happy Confluence user for near on 10 years.  So sad to see it go down the tubes like this.   

Like Helen Gosper likes this
Peter Kidson August 22, 2019

In fact all you really need to do is NOT get rid of these.

keepothese.png

That way neither you nor the users with have to lose anything.

Mark Wilson June 19, 2019

On April 22nd I asked this question... 

"Any update on when the “full width mode”  and additional column types will be available?  The last few weeks have been a struggle.  "

It's been 2 months and all we have is a few more column layouts (and not all of what the old editor provided us).  @Avinoam Is Atlassian even prioritizing this?  We need an answer regarding the future roadmap of this product and the expected delivery timelines.  If full width mode and the old editor style controls are not part of the product we need to know.  

Like # people like this
John Fenger June 19, 2019

Its only been 2 weeks and my company is still pissed off.   Please, if this is not going to happen i need to tell people.  False hope is going to make things worse... waiting on this for 2 months will be horrible.   I have people just using word documents and attaching them to pages instead of using the new page width pages. confluence is becoming all types of a hot mess for us.  

Like # people like this
Felipe Castro June 19, 2019

We are going through the same struggle here.  Hopefully, they start really listening soon.

Like Mads likes this
Avinoam
Atlassian Team
June 19, 2019

@Felipe Castro @John Fenger @Mark Wilson - thanks for keeping us honest and checking in. I can appreciate why the wait is hard and can seem like nothing is happening. 

I want to assure you that this is top priority and is already being used in internal testing to iron out the kinks. We're closer than ever to making this available but also want to be sure to introduce it in the right way. With that said, I can't provide an exact date, but I can guarantee that this is absolutely top of mind and coming very soon.

jemm1 June 19, 2019

Hi  @Avinoam .  The changes you are making do not provide all the features the old editor had. Please provide the business reason why you won't provide the old editor as an option on new pages going forward.

Thanks

Like # people like this
John Fenger June 20, 2019

@Avinoam  Happy to hear its in progress, can you clarify if you are working on a responsive no max width page or will this just be the slightly wider "Full Width" that you currently offer for macros and tables?  I mean the wider "full width" would be an improvement but what my company really wants is actual full screen, since 100% of our employees work using 2- 24in 4k monitors.   

Stefano June 21, 2019

@Avinoam at least change the title of this discussion.

If you were listening you would have just reverted to the old editor months ago. Who asked for the new editor?

Atlassian is only listening to themselves, as usual.

Like Michael Deck likes this
Jørgen Flobak June 21, 2019

We did not know about this 'improved' editor when we migrated from our good old server to the cloud version at Atlassian this week. 

We are not writing blogs, we are a tech company using confluence for technical documentation. All our specs are now unreadable as all the screenshots are reduced in size and blurry because of the fixed width layout (we assume).

We need the full width layout back.

We need the ability to keep pictures in 100% size.

We need to be able to use keyboard commands we know. ctrl-z is not even working.

Why not just let us use the old editor? It has been what, 3 months? You could roll out a new feature in that time.

All of this is costing us time and money.

Give us a date so that we at least can see if going back to the old server is an option. 

Like # people like this
jemm1 June 21, 2019

I agree having the old editor as an option is the only viable solution.

Like # people like this
Helen Gosper August 22, 2019

We have exactly the same frustrations as Jørgen outlines in his comment. The restrictions on images sizing is a real problem for technical documentation.

Also, I'm not sure if this is related to the new editor or whether it had already changed in server before we moved to cloud but I find the 'sketch' plug-in pretty weird now. It used to be such a simple thing to use whereas now you have to go out of editor and click on the funny little red link and select the image that you were already on. Anyone else find this odd?

DEspanol June 23, 2019

Is the full width mode rolled-out yet?

Like # people like this
Mads July 1, 2019

Sorry for repeating this several places, but I really need to shout this from a soapbox:

It should be an option for administrators, to configure sitewide "full width by default".

Wasting 60% of screen real estate by default, for "reasons", is a really bad decision. That you seem to have taken this position seriously undermines my trust in your ability to understand your customers needs. Really, this is NOT the way to go. I am embarrassed that you could at any point believe this is the correct way for Confluence to evolve. Confluence is not a CMS or a cute blog.

Like # people like this
jemm1 July 2, 2019

I agree the new editor layout is a real failure for Confluence. The cost to support both editor layouts as a page option is trivial. This is not a technical issue for Confluence but a business decision

Like # people like this
Bob Sovers July 2, 2019

Atlassian --- PROVE that you are listening! 

https://confluence.atlassian.com/confcloud/confluence-cloud-editor-roadmap-967314556.html -- Just shows "Coming soon"

while

https://confluence.atlassian.com/cloud/blog --- "What's New"

shows the exact same wording in the Confluence section for the last 5 WEEKS! 

Like # people like this
jemm1 July 2, 2019

I'm sure this is decision not to support the old editor is a business decision they have not disclosed here. Technically it's a very small change to add the option for the old editor.

Nicky Sandhu July 2, 2019

Moving to a cloud is a business decision as well... one that we are walking away from and going back to on-premises

Scott Saccone July 2, 2019

Just curious, how will the "full width" option work? Currently, in the new editor, I can adjust the width of tables by clicking on the "<- ->" icon: centre, wide and full. Similarly, if I insert a Jira table, I can click on it and adjust the same settings via icons at the bottom. However, there are no such options for normal paragraphs. Will the new option allow us to change the width of any paragraph? Can we set the a default width? Thanks.

AZOR1984 July 9, 2019

Fix the full with page issue, grrr

Like # people like this
Jørgen Flobak July 10, 2019

Please vote for bringing back some control over the size of embedded pictures.

The drag-to-resize is not working for us, we need to be able show pictures in 100% (set the size manually).

https://jira.atlassian.com/projects/CONFCLOUD/issues/CONFCLOUD-67080?filter=allopenissues

Like # people like this
Mads July 10, 2019

Voted!

Can't believe what is going on.

Atlassian! We need Confluence to move closer to Google docs sort of editing, not closer to Facebook style of "editing"!

Like # people like this
Chris Myers July 10, 2019

This is a pretty garbage change, confluence team- please add the ability to expand these pages to full screen  ASAP.  Honestly i'm also interested in your logic for applying this in the first place.  Does ANYONE actually like this crappy new style?  Cheese moving gone so, so wrong! 

Like Mads likes this
Mads July 10, 2019

Agreed - the logic seems completely broken.

David Andrianavalontsalama July 13, 2019

Everything is ugly in this new editor. This is such a sadness.

Do you want to insert a link to an uploaded file in your text? That’s over, mate. You must insert a gray, big, idiotic, thumbnail. With no meaning, no taste, and WHICH WAS NOT ASKED FOR.

Such a shame.

Like Helen Gosper likes this
admin July 13, 2019

What's the status on this??? No Fullwidth looks horrible for my clients..... 

Avinoam
Atlassian Team
July 15, 2019

@admin @Pete at this point we're a couple weeks away from making full width available as an option in the editor. We'll be emailing all site admins prior to the change rolling out.

David Andrianavalontsalama July 16, 2019

Also, how many hours will it take to revert to the old editor?

Bob Sovers July 22, 2019

@Avinoam??? Does "a couple of weeks" actually mean 2 weeks (ie, by Aug 1, 2019), or will this actually be a Christmas present? 

So far, Atlassian has not been very good at meeting promises.

Avinoam
Atlassian Team
July 24, 2019

@Bob Sovers it just went live this morning.

Pete July 15, 2019

Hi @Avinoam Zelenko can we please get an update on this issue, it is causing us severe pain 

thanks

Like Michael Deck likes this
Avinoam
Atlassian Team
July 24, 2019

It just went live!

Helen Gosper July 15, 2019

Apologies in this is not related specifically to the 'new editor. Having recently moved from server to Cloud (our use case is technical documentation), I was surprised at the changes to the way 'Sketch' works. It seems like you have to insert the image then save the page without any of the effects or annotations you require, and then click the odd 'sketch' link at the top of the page to open the sketch editor. A lot more work than just clicking the image while in page edit. And that sketch link looks ugly too.

Fanfan July 17, 2019

Any update on the Full width mode? 

Mathieu Bertrand July 17, 2019

Any timeline on the 'full width mode'. 

We desperately need this !

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events