Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Confluence editor is TERRIBLE. What can be done for cloud/hosted customers?

Viewing page 4 of 6

143 answers

1 vote
Sean McMullin November 11, 2020

Will add yet another voice to say that the Confluence editor is undeniably worse than any web-based editor I've ever used.  Two improvements:

1) Use tinymce.

2) Give us the option to use Markdown natively.

I know a student programmer who'd love to implement both and would have it done in two weeks.  In case that's not the problem, I know a replacement admin team who think that giving customers a decent workflow is a good idea.

1 vote
Marcin Kwiecien August 18, 2020

Funny, I was JUST struggling with the same thing :) 
Brutal stuff.

1 vote
Tom March 26, 2020

I can deal with a clunky interface, but when it's so buggy I can't even add a list to an existing page it seriously gets on my nerves.
This happened just now:

Edit a page.
Try to make a list.
Everything looks fine.
Hit publish.
First item is completely misaligned.
Hit edit.
Item is indeed misaligned now.
Fix things.
Everything looks good again.
Hit publish.
"This page needs a name"
Scroll up.
THE NAME OF THE PAGE IS GONE!

1 vote
Svane February 28, 2020

We as an agency that needed a commen platform for documentation and organize work, were happy with Confluence Cloud (the old editor), but this new editor is the sole reason why that value we got out of Confluence as a product, is gone.

The new editor does not work.

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 26, 2020

As I'm clearly an Atlassian fan, I know this post is probably not going to get a lot of attention from people who are not as enthusiastic as I am.

But, I agree with most of the negative opinions I'm seeing here.

Trying to keep it short, I want my [ links, the full width on-screen, and re-arrangable sections (notably single columns) back.  The latest version of Cloud has removed three of the five things that I can sell Confluence on.  I suspect I'm missing more.

1 vote
Ravi Maharjan November 10, 2019

The new confluence editor is terrible. TERRIBLE. How do I switch back to old version?

1 vote
Alan Wendt November 5, 2019

Current editor is grotesque, there's no other word for it.  Try changing a page with 60 links from .com to .org.

1 vote
Vassil Velichkov October 18, 2019

Update [2019-10-18]: Just upgraded our Server to Confluence 7.0.3. All issues described in my original comment (from 1 to 6) are still present.

Dear Atlasian, you could at least fix 1 & 5, it should be 1-2 lines of code...

1 vote
Alan Wendt August 2, 2019

I've got a page with about 100 links on that need to be changed in a systematic way (think changing .com to .org everywhere).  It would take me a minute with vi if I could export the page as text with markup included, make the edits, and re-import.  In this grotesque editor it will take me an hour.

1 vote
Phillip George June 10, 2019

I don't know if ATLASSIAN doesn't care about their customer base or not.

It seems the editing issue has been a problem / thorn for years and nothing has been done to make it better.

I'm sure if the Editing Feature was better, they would have more people using it and more people singing it's praises.

Instead the customers that use this product continue to comment on how bad the editor is.

If ATLASSION new how powerful Word of Mouth, good and bad, influences customers in their decision making to use a certain product, then maybe they would actually do someting to make the editing tool better.

1 vote
Saurabh Hirani June 4, 2019

Checked and I am using https://github.com/GhostText/GhostText which does the work

1 vote
Joao Correia March 16, 2019

@Bruno Bronosky for how long have you been using Confluence? I'm asking this because recently they tried to deploy a dumbed down Editor and it was a failure, I think in part due to feedback of people who say it was too complex.

If anyone thinks the current editor is too complex what does the same person thinks of the Word Editor? My suspicion is that you haven't used Confluence at all and that kind of feedback makes product owners try to dumb down the product which ultimately results in utter disaster.

I have been using Confluence for technical documentation for the last 4 years and I love the current editor. It's simple, effective, uncomplicated and layouts give you a lot of freedom.

if you want a page to look beautiful its going to give you a little bit of work, but that's it, then you have a template you can reuse many times over.

Try to open your mind a little bit and use the Confluence editor to understand its features. Look at examples and you will see it is actually very effective.

1 vote
andro November 27, 2018

I guess this has become of less importance for Atlassian. We see the WYSIWYG editors all over the place, MS Teams is one of those which cannot handle a simple code block anymore. A selling point for CEO-level PPT/Excel operators.

My company is transitioning away from Confluence for technical docs. We are going to use reST, Git, and Sphinx to generate the documentation anyway we like. Partially but not entirely because Confluence has become a time hog and a source of frustration.

I'm still after 5 years of using Confluence from time to time at various places confused why I always get an extra space character at the beginning of a cell in a table. Is that a feature or a bug?

I still like Bitbucket though, hope Atlassian can focus on that one! :)

1 vote
Alon Galor July 18, 2018

Agreed. Absolutely horrendous. Can not believe how many customers have to suffer using it. Linking to a gist on github is a perfect solution. Feel free to close the ticket

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 7, 2018

Yup, this was asked a year ago.  Atlassian has moved on.

1 vote
philoye
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 23, 2017

Thanks @Bruno Bronosky for the feedback. I'm a product manager on Confluence Cloud and I look after the editor.

The editor is an area of intense focus for us. We are in the process of rolling out some changes now, which you can read more about in this post here on Community.

But we're not stopping there, we feel your pain and are actively working to address it. 

If there are specific bugs, you can help by reporting them via Support

0 votes
Scott RM September 20, 2021

Thank you to all whose who've commented before me - You have covered so many of the issues I've faced - It's so great to know that I'm not alone.

0 votes
Scott RM September 20, 2021

ATLASSIAN, please do something about this editor, even if it's just to make everything monospace font - That would be better than the current solution.

Thank you.

I would like to say more, but I'm self-censoring.

0 votes
Mallee Morris September 12, 2021

Long time user of JIRA, but at my new company they want to try using Confluence with JIRA rather than the MS stack for the non-technical aspects of the project.  I can't make my Spaces and Pages look good to save my life.  Layouts that look one way in the editing tool and then completely change when you hit publish, incredibly limited options for displaying links. NO FONT SIZING!  Ridiculous.  I have been wrestling for HOURS with things that I could do in the MS stack in moments and after days of watching videos and reading, I can tell that my pages will always look junky and overly rigid because the editor is designed so poorly.  No one's spaces/pages look very good.  But I saw a YouTube video of the old editor and it looks leaps and bounds better - who goes from that to this?!? I am just incredibly disappointed. I take a lot of pride in my team sites and I am embarrassed by what this is turning out.  

0 votes
Alan Akins September 9, 2021

annnnd that is how I found this post.  I have used MD and wiki markup before.  They had their issues, but it was logical and I could usually find a fairly straightforward way to get the results I wanted.  However, with the WYSIWYG, I can't get anything close.  My organization had the self-hosted version and I learned how to format our documentation fairly well using it, but now since we transitioned to the Cloud Confluence it is almost impossible to get anything close.  Now I'm left debating on creating documentation that will be 10x longer since the numbered lists won't work with any other formatting (e.g. expand).

0 votes
Alan Wendt August 13, 2021

Oh, you're going to restrict your statement to human beings?

0 votes
Theron Lewis July 12, 2021

As a programmer I'm used to writing things using markup of some kind.  In github I use markdown.  In slack I use a version of markdown.  I use Latex, wikitext, html, etc.  Why isn't there a non-visual editor for confluence?  Having to stop typing to grab my mouse and go through selecting text and menus is a huge waste of my time.  Also the markdown import does a poor job, or at least it did the last time I used it.  When will we have the ability to switch between the visual editor and text/markup mode like we can in Jira?

0 votes
Peter Van Geenhoven July 7, 2021

I was just editing an analyses document and got the popup to convert my page to then new editing experience....which unfortunately I did ....  Now the screen simply refreshes and dances up and down on my screen, making it a real PAIN to continue working on my analyses.  Is there ANY WAY I can revert to the old editor???

The expand macro's have also changes: if you paste formatted source code, you loose the formatting. On the upside, you can nest a "Code snippet" macro to which they finally added JSON as language.... but the most annoying thing, up to the point of wanting to smash my computer is the jumping of the screen...it is just frustrating...

0 votes
Alan Wendt June 9, 2021

It's grotesque

0 votes
Sean McMullin June 9, 2021

Great find Daniel, thank you! We used to keep our support docs in a Git MD-file-only repo, and then were encouraged by management to move to Confluence to support non-tech users. Will move back to keeping the docs in Git as the master and exporting to Confluence.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events