It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage
Highlighted

Search like a pro with the new advanced search experience Edited

Elaine H. Atlassian Team Sep 19, 2019

Hi everyone,

It’s Elaine again, your Marie Kondo for finding information in Confluence. We know that locating the materials you need can be a challenge – especially if your organization lives and breathes Confluence pages. Our goal is to help you get what you need fast, so you can search and go!

To that end, we’ve revamped advanced search to give power searchers a better experience. Advanced search uses an improved search ranking algorithm that boosts search success by 22%. We’ve also made it faster to load the page after you click on a search result. If you aspire to be a power searcher, the new experience is easy and intuitive – a quick and simple way to get your feet wet. Now everyone can search like a pro.

Advanced search demo.png

Advanced search helps you find anything and everything in Confluence so you can be more productive. We’re not just talking pages and spaces, but also blogs, comments, and attachments.

You can get to advanced search with the quick search drawer:

Quick Search drawer.png

Power users wannabes listen up! Here’s another way to find it: go directly to the URL yoursite’sname.atlassian.net/wiki/search.

We’ve given you many ways to jog your memory, so you can find what you’re looking for in seconds. The new experience has all the filtering power you know and love, but now filters are easier to discover and use. Narrow down your searches with comprehensive search filters like:

• Space: search in particular spaces (with a painless drop down menu)

• Contributor: search for content published by specific people

• Content type: search for specific kinds like page, space, attachment, blogpost, etc.

• Last modified: search for content last updated in a particular timeframe

• Label: search for content that contain particular labels

• Only search for page titles

You’ll know that you’ve found what you’re looking for right away when you see rich information in search results. You can spend more time focusing on what matters when you don’t have to visit pages that aren’t relevant. Search results also show you the space where the page lives and when it was last updated. With advanced search, you’ll know when you’re hot on the trail to finding what you need.

All told, we’ve streamlined the experience to make your search nimbler. Please let us know if we’ve managed to do that. Our team is listening.

The new experience has been rolled out to ~75% of all Confluence customers. We plan to make it available for all of you in the next couple of weeks.

P.S. - We’re working on a simpler and more powerful quick search experience that we hope you love. We’ll share more when it’s ready, so hang tight.

7 comments

Like # people like this
Elaine H. Atlassian Team Oct 04, 2019

Hi @Viktor

Thank you for your reminder. Did you mean this: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONFCLOUD-14910? If so, this issue is on our radar. Please note that this announcement is for Confluence Cloud specifically.

As part of our investigation, we'd love to hear your thoughts on what advanced search operators you consider essential, besides this particular suggestion. I look forward to your input.

Regards,

Elaine

Like # people like this

@Elaine H. Will the new (advanced) search find text within pdf files? That one missing feature made one customer leave Confluence for a different option.

Like Boudewijn Jansen likes this
Elaine H. Atlassian Team Thursday

@Trevan Householder , did you mean PDF files attached to Confluence pages?

@Elaine H. , yes, exactly.  Not just pdfs but other attached file types as well: Doc, txt, etc.

@Elaine H. the https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONFCLOUD-14910 issue you mention above is still a problem for us and not addressed by the latest Advanced Search options. 

We use Confluence Cloud for our software System Administration Guides so being able to search for exact text is important. Currently I have to export a portion of the Confluence pages as a PDF so that our users can at least do an exact search in the PDF files that I attach to one of our pages. This is laborious and not exactly the best look for an IT company like ourselves to be doing!

Like Dan Winkler likes this

What about being able to search in "Favourite Spaces" only under "Spaces"?

I don't see that in the new search & it was one I used all the time, to only search ones I'd favorited.

Please consider adding this to the new search experience.

Thanks!

Like # people like this

@Brian Dale , thank you for letting us know you're not seeing the functionality you find useful in space filter.

We are open to continuous iterations. Depending on the interest level on this functionality, we'll consider it for our roadmap accordingly.

@Jeanne Howe , thank you for brining this up. We don't have this on our roadmap at this point. I'll share the ticket with my colleague who's closer to the area of content export.

We need a way to search a page tree. We used to be almost able to do this with ancestor, but this doesn't appear to be in the new search interface.

@David Gregory , thank you for your feedback. This is on our plan for later iterations. We understand it's important for many to be able to search within the entire breadcrumb including ancestor and parent titles besides the page title itself.

Rather than offering it as a filter, we are considering incorporating ancestor and parent titles in our general search indexing and search results ranking. We'll keep you posted.

Does this address your feedback?

I hope it does. As long as I can restrict searches to the page tree so that I don't see results in other pages within the space (outside of the page tree) then that works for me.

Ideally, it would be good to restrict results to a page tree initially with the ability to open the search up to other areas of the space or all spaces with the click of a button.

Will the new search functionality search inside comments and replies to questions? (when the Question module is installed)

Just double checked and it doesn't. Something really needs to be done to make searching questions and answers a lot easier.

Like Olle likes this

@Ben Vautier the Type filter includes Answer and Comment. You can search inside comments and answers with these two content type filters. Could you confirm they're available to you?

@Elaine H.  Right I need to select type == Answer for the search to look into Answers. That is a good start but I think "Question and Answers" should be combined (or Answer should be implicit in the Question type.)

I feel having so many types to select is super confusing. 

In the past it was possible to use AND, NOT, ... between key words, or between labels in Advanced Search. Currently it is not possible. Any plan to install again this functionality ???

Like # people like this

@Joan Trias , we're considering this. As part of our investigation, we'd love to hear your thoughts on what advanced search operators you consider essential, besides AND and NOT. I look forward to your input.

As long as there is no easy to maintain ontology/thesaurus (to my knowledge there is not anything like this) for larger spaces we definitely need

a) the boolean OR and

b) brackets

to search for an abbreviation and the spelled out name at once:

("DDOS" OR "distributed denial of service") AND ("Abbreviation2" OR "Spelt out name 2")

Note that if you are doing a search for n of these combinations, you will have to make 2^n queries to capture the result space. 

Hi Elaine, I am using Confluence cloud for 3 months right now, so I can not suggest lots of searching needs, but at least for key words and for labels, we would like to have NOT, AND,

Below link will help you to find more information on this 

https://www.theccm.co.uk/advanced-seo/#more-6995

Comment

Community showcase
Published in Confluence Cloud

What's New in Confluence Cloud – October 2019 Edition

Hey there! When you can pack so much information onto a Confluence page, it can be challenging to whittle down what’s most important. Here are a few of our favorite hacks for finding need-to-know i...

46,583 views 53 118
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you