Question about an Expand Macro within another Expand macro, and displaying the title

Kylee Neuberger July 25, 2018

How do I get an expand macro title, that is located within another expand macro, to display the second macros title without having to open the first expand macro. I want the titles to be displayed like a table of contents.

2 comments

Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 25, 2018

That's not really possible using the expand macros. What effect are you trying to achieve? Maybe there is another possibility.

The effect that I'm trying to achieve is an organized document that allows users to look for a specific title and see all the tables that are associated under that title. I have tables in each expanded macro that are displaying data that is further broken down into various levels/indention. Its a lot of information to look through, so I need a macro that is collapsible.  Something that has similar capabilities of the Expand macro and table of content macro that will allow me to display both the title and allow expand/minimize quality.

Emily Errico July 25, 2018

I got it to kind of work. It's definitely not something that the Confluence editor wants to do.

kind of works.PNG

I started with expand 1, then created a new line, added a bullet, then added another expand macro. I'm not sure what the effects would be if you added more layering, but this is likely the closest you'll get in the current version of Confluence.

Alternatively, you could have a non-layered list of expand macros and name them to reflect their hierarchy, like 1 Heading with 1.1 Sub-heading and 1.2 Sub-heading underneath it.

I hope this helps!

I tried your bullet point method that you suggested however, it didn't work for what I was trying to do. My first expand macro table isn't indented, but the second one is and then the third one goes back to no indention. The third one also doesn't need a title because the table info should fall under the first expanded macro. Sorry if this is confusing. 

Emily Errico July 25, 2018

If you could include a screenshot, that would help immensely. Otherwise, you'll have to be more specific in your description.

There's no way to have some content displayed when an expand macro is closed.

Alternatively, you could convert the tables into images and then display them as a link so when the expand macro is opened the user isn't overwhelmed by information. (unless you need to be able to include links or selectable text in your table)

I think I might've exhausted all my ideas. If you figure out a way to do it, please update the Community so we can share the solution and answer future questions.

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events