Planning an upgrade path from Confluence 4.3.2 to 6.6

Linda Petty December 20, 2017

Can anyone tell me what versions of MySQL Confluence 4.3.2 can support? I'm wondering if I can upgrade Apache Tom cat to 8.0 and MySQL to 5.7.20 (or 5.8 if I can find it) before upgrading Confluence.

Then upgrade Confluence to 5.10

Then upgrade Confluence to 6.6

and finally upgrade RefinedWiki Original theme to 5.7 (from 3.3.6)

I haven't found any info on Confluence 4.3.2 system requirements anywhere so I'd appreciate some advice.

Any thoughts?

1 comment

Peter DeWitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 20, 2017

@Linda Petty, I have a few thoughts.  Try upgrading Confluence first.  The newer versions should support your version of Apache and MySQL.  Once you are all upgraded and working you can follow up with the other upgrades.  

You could also try building a new Confluence server with the version of Apache and MySQL at the level you want.  Then run a full backup/export of you Confluence instance and then restore/import it to the new server.  I used this method the last time I did a Confluence upgrade and it worked beautifully.

.pd

Thanks Peter

we want to go for the new Confluence Server option (the server we have is too old to upgrade)

Confluence v4.3.20 to v6.6  is quite a leap. How will the backup/export restore/import process deal with the database changes in the upgrade?

Are we talking about doing the backup/export of just the Confluence MySQL database?

Peter DeWitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 20, 2017

If I remember correctly, the last one I did was 4.5 to 6.5.  Do a full backup  from the existing system and a full restore.  The data will be converted on restore.  Have your plug-ins installed before the restore.

Peter DeWitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 20, 2017

Test things out - you might need to install the same the version of the plug-in in the new system, restore and them upgrade the plug-in.

OK. It does say somewhere not to use XML backups in upgrades.

Peter DeWitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 20, 2017

I don't know if I have ever seen that, but I'm not saying it's not there.  It may not be Atlassian supported but it did work.  I was also moving from OS (Linux - Windows) and Databases (HSQL - MS SQL)

Linda Petty December 21, 2017

OK thanks Peter

Peter DeWitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 21, 2017

GL, on your upgrade.

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events