Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help with groups and roles in Confluence

Mohneesh Kumar Wadhwani December 5, 2017

I am new Confluence, please pardon me for silly questions. I need to create groups and roles in Confluence. Let me share my requirements so as to make it clear why I need it.

We have several spaces created. Lets say we have Space A and B. Users of space A have full access to space A, but for users of space B we have special requirement. They have access to space B plus they can view snippets of pages in space A not the complete page; but when they download or extract as pdf they can see the complete pages.

Please help me on this.

1 comment

Comment

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 5, 2017

Hi Mohneesh,

how do you hide the pages from Group B? Using the visibility app?

If you want to be safe, you can only hide an entire page from a user with page restrictions. Hiding parts of a page is not only unsafe, because the hidden parts are included in exports, but they are also visible when you look at the source of the page.

There is nothing like a role in Confluence. Just users and groups and permissions (global and per space).

I think, you have to rethink your space design. I would either

• use three spaces
    • one for A
    • one for A+B
    • one for B
  • use two spaces
    • one space for A+B
      • with two pages underneath the home page:
        • one for all (A+B) - under this page is all the information A and B should see
        • one for A only with a page viewing restriction for group A so that B-People can't see that
    • one space for B

The solution with two spaces is a bit of a permission hell. You have to take care that every new page is underneath the right top level page. That might be difficult in the future, escpecially if the data is sensitive.

Maybe you want to look at my article about hiding things in Confluence:

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Confluence-articles/The-Admin-s-tale-Hidden-Treasures/ba-p/595803

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 11, 2017

@Michael - thank you, I've corrected the link in my post. 

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events