Introducing our new and improved expand!

Jonno Katahanas
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 12, 2019

Hi team,

I’m Jonno, a Product Manager on the new editing experience in Confluence Cloud. Today I’m excited to share our new expand feature with you.

With expand, what you see is what you get. By typing “/ expand” in the editor, you can relay detailed information related to projects or tasks without compromising readability and creating chaos on your page. Give your expand a title, add specifics, and publish your page. Click the arrow next to the expand to see more or hide extra details.

a89cbc6c-f4a9-4ba8-b5c3-dd65c6a163f1.gif

These windows can go wide and full-width to fit your viewing preference. You can even nest the new expand and images in tables!

595852b2-2d2a-4c9c-ad31-84817e0684ad.gif

We know this feature is a sought after addition to the new editor and hope it helps you and your team keep work moving forward by giving and getting access to the answers you need. Let us know what you think about it in the comments!

75 comments

Comment

Joel Penner December 17, 2019

Thankyou! Finally we can do nesting! Thankyou so much!!!

Like # people like this
Rajesh Koya December 18, 2019

this is the long awaiting change requirest most of the users asking... Personally I like this enhancement. nice!!

Like # people like this
James Lamb December 30, 2019

Now we just need an "Expand All on print/export" option.  

Like # people like this
Julie Calboutin January 7, 2020

Correct me if I'm wrong, but we still can't actually nest another expand within an expand right?

Like # people like this
Ben Hartwell February 26, 2020

It also seems like we are unable to nest things like code or tables inside an expand that is in a table.

Are there plans for that addition?

Like # people like this
Bryan Field June 9, 2021

@Julie Calboutin, Nest the table in the expand, then nest the expand in the table.

Like # people like this
Ian Adare March 23, 2023

Is it possible to go more than two levels? I was able to insert a table in the expand and then another expand in that table. 
I was not able to repeat this process and insert a 2nd table inside the 2nd expand. 
Is that possible? 

Like # people like this
mawi March 24, 2023

No, it is not possible.

You also cannot put a code snippet in an expand that is in a table. Which would be very common - 3 column table, e g: some topic, some description, code example in expand. (see here)

You also cannot even put bullet points in an expand in a table. Similar use case, meeting topic, short description, more notes / bullets in expand.

But then again, tables in the "new" editor are also broken. It hides content, etc. 

They have alot to solve, and four years+ was not enough. Frustrating.

Like # people like this
Ian Adare March 24, 2023

Thanks for confirming @mawi 

Susanne Uhlan December 17, 2019

@Pravitha Sreejit nice to know of! 

Like # people like this
Pravitha Sreejit December 18, 2019

:) 

Like # people like this
Susanne Uhlan December 17, 2019
Like # people like this
Xavier Amador December 18, 2019

When migrating pages from the old editor to the new one, will the current expand macros in current tables be automatically converted to the new expand macros in the new tables?

Like # people like this
Avinoam
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 20, 2019

Yes!

Like # people like this
Shawn Connelly January 30, 2020

But copy and paste from old editor to new editor doesn't work. Only the text plus images are pasted, but formatting and basic macros, like panels and columns are lost! :( 

Like Viktoriya Borisova likes this
Steve Rawlins December 18, 2019

Does not work for me.  I have tried in our Confluence Wiki and Jira.  The /expand remains as the literal text "/expand"

Please do not tell me "The feature is only for Confluence Cloud, which is different from Confluence hosted and you have just wasted 10 minutes trying to evaluate a fun new feature which you do not actually have"

Joel Penner December 18, 2019

How did you waste 10 minutes when the first sentence makes it clear this is Confluence Cloud? 

Like # people like this
Jolanta Zalpyte January 9, 2020

try to search manually as a macro, for me it worked just like this - I had to go through add macro function

Deleted user December 18, 2019

Question for @Jonno Katahanas .  Concerning this and any other feature that may be cloud-only, what will the result be when migrating from Confluence Cloud to Confluence Server?  Will these features cease working and hence be displayed in some other format on the page once migrated?  Or will they continue to be displayed and function the same way once migrated to the server version?

Like Al likes this
Sam Gomez December 18, 2019

Awesome stride!

Our instance does not reflect these changes. How soon can we expect these changes to be implemented?

Like # people like this
Avinoam
Atlassian Team
December 20, 2019

In the coming weeks. If you'd like to expedite it you can quickly reach out to support here: https://support.atlassian.com/contact/

Like Diane Jentilet likes this
Korayem December 18, 2019

Can I migrate existing pages to the new editor experience? it only works on newly created pages.

Avinoam
Atlassian Team
December 20, 2019

We're working on releasing a tool that you'll be able to migrate existing pages with on your own, but till then, if you'd like to opt in for your existing pages you can reach out to our support team here: https://support.atlassian.com/contact/

Jason Hollis December 18, 2019

Is a great addition and is so much simpler than the 'old' process, but unless Atlassian can get the page crash issue fixed (primarily around the new tables) it's going to be hard to get adoption from me no matter what new stuff you throw at it. I really want to love the new pages.. I really want to use them all the time... but they just aren't where they need to be re stability.. not yet anyway. 

Like # people like this
Alan Jiménez December 19, 2019

FINALLY!!!!! About time!

Still, thanks.

vlad December 19, 2019

Thank you. Two other critical usability features I'd love to see:

1. Hide expand to get it out of the way in Edit mode also

2. Edit specific page section without having to start from the top of the page. 

Like # people like this
Tracy B December 30, 2019

Totally agree! I want to be able to close it up while I'm editing a page! 

Like Chris Saunders likes this
David Hartman December 31, 2019

I agree with this as well.  I find that I spend so much of my time on pages in edit mode and while I expect that this getting a feature like this to function while in edit mode is no trivial change I think this would be great.

A somewhat related more general feature is to have the editing experience work somewhat like mind maps do where we can open and close different sections (or maybe by heading levels) depending on what is being worked on. 

Like # people like this
Tracy B December 31, 2019

"somewhat like mind maps do where we can open and close different sections"

What David Hartman said. Mindmap-like functionality would be great. 

Mia Myrkheimr January 2, 2020

I'd appreciate these feature as well. It is extremely needed.

Kim Landis January 2, 2020

ooh, good request! 

Jose' M. Salas January 9, 2020

Just add a new page with the expand content and then include it into the expand - that way only the content is shown when you view versus the link when you edit. Pythons DRY principal. 

Lauren December 19, 2019

Yay for nested! Very glad this has been added.

Rafael Carmona December 20, 2019

good job

Bhaskar December 23, 2019

Good know about this feature.

Steven Black December 23, 2019

Now I can include my terraform plans without adding a thousand lines to the page!

Oliver Schoenborn January 7, 2020

A code block was inadequate? (they can be collapsed) 

Livia Apps December 24, 2019

nice

Sharon Helms
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 24, 2019

@Jonno Katahanas and @Avinoam  It looks like the Expand feature does not work inside the Table of Contents Zone macro -- is that something you could look into please?

We use the TOC Zone macro on every page, so now that Expand is no longer a macro, we won't be able to use Expand. 

(We can't use the regular Table of Contents macro because of a known incompatibility with Jira Service Desk https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSDCLOUD-3565)

Jonathan Ditzel December 27, 2019

This is great! We can start using this to clean up those super long documentation pages.

Like eduardo.sanchez likes this
eduardo.sanchez December 28, 2019

Very nice feature, thanks guys :)))

Vitali Bystritski December 29, 2019

Can you get back the border feature to inserted images? 

Viji Karunakaran December 30, 2019

Is there a way to freeze the columns in the table from scrolling when i have a table that scrolls across pages?

Like Claudia Pacifici likes this
Christopher Reimschussel December 30, 2019

This is a nice feature. I like that it works within tables as well.

Kari Lenning December 30, 2019

This is a great feature. I agree that the compatibility with tables is great.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 30, 2019

Great feature for sure! Keep them coming!!

peter January 7, 2020

How do you change the color of the expand box to give it a little flair?  We had Atlassian at work but it is much different than this version and so I can't figure out to how to change the color of expand or text boxes.  The websites on the internet are no help . 

Like # people like this
peter January 7, 2020

Peter@homefox.com -- How do you change the color of the expand box to give it a little flair?  We had Atlassian at work but it is much different than this version and so I can't figure out to how to change the color of expand or text boxes.  The websites on the internet are no help . 

Like Robert Petta likes this
Chris December 30, 2019

Just like in Lotus Notes! 

Like mawi likes this
Bernard Tai January 7, 2020

In the older version of confluence we used to be able to insert expand between bullet points and numbered lists. However, now, attempting to insert an expand between bullet or numbered items pushes the expand feature to the BOTTOM of the list. 

To work around this I have to use tables, but oh wouldn't it be so great to have that feature back please!

Like # people like this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events