How to manage requirements for/and configuration of a COTS product

Ian Turner September 1, 2017

Hi,

I'm interested to understand how people use JIRA and confluence in terms of requirements management and traceability.  The latest project i'm working on is primarily deploying a COTS product, but it has a lot of configuration capability and will be integrated into other applications.  Utlimately it will need to be tested,

Currently we have a significant number of requirements, 350ish, that are baselined but are likely to be refined and evolve as they are put into the context of the COTS product.  Initially these requirements were captured to support a product selection process so are generic, and in some cases assumed a development project rather than COTS deployment.  Hence the need to revisit them - but in a controlled way as they are an approved baseline.

I'm interested to know people use JIRA to track requirements and develop use cases/processes/etc.. that can drive the work to configure and ultimately test.

We are using confluence, JIRA and Zephyr.

any thoughts much appreciated

3 comments

Jeannie Strasser February 22, 2018

Hi Ian,

I have the same question - did you find any information on how to handle COTS products in Confluence/JIRA?

Thanks.

Ian Turner February 26, 2018

Hi @Jeannie Strasser no i got nothing back.  What we've done is use JIRA to track requirements, issues, risks, dependencies.  And used confluence to write our documentation; process flows, design decisions, etc..  we can also use it moving forward for testing and maybe managing some of the configuration items in terms of github integration.

Kevin Drawyer February 4, 2019

Any information on this?  I would like to use Jira to track a list of COTS/FOSS on our program. 

Cenna Skulsky March 8, 2022

Hi - I am also interested in managing my COTS requirements in JIRA.  Have there been any responses or updates? 

Thanks 

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events