External User / Confluence Page Access

Nico Schick January 11, 2023

Hello,

The Confluence Administration Menu is only visible to users with the System Administrator or Confluence Administrator role. Users without these roles, do not have access. I haven’t these roles. So I am not able to see that menu and I haven’t a SEN number.

But the topic regarding System Administrator or Confluence Administrator role is currently the most important and interesting topic for myself.

I know following: "Any user that will need to view, edit, or create content that lives in Confluence will need to be a licensed (paid) user.“

My problem is following: I am not a licensed (paid) user. And it is not really possible that I will be a licensed (paid) user in future. That means I am and I will be in future only a “normal“ user (without admin role; no licensed paid user): Nevertheless I am currently able to create and edit Confluence pages in specific space. So that is fine. For me personally it is enough to have the possibility to create and edit Confluence pages in the specific space. The only very important point is that guests (with guest accounts; as written in the text) should have the same possibility to create and edit Confluence pages in the specific and same space. So in the specific space they have the same permissions and rights according to creating and editing Confluence Pages. To be concret: I want to create a knowledge based transfer (like a wiki). All the guys (myself, other internals, and also guests) should have the permissions and rights to create and edit Confluence Pages in the space related to the specific wiki. Suppose there is a space. And suppose inside the space all Confluence Pages and permissions and rights are related to the wiki. And I want that all guys (myself, other internals, and also guests) have the permissions and rights to create and edit all those Confluence Pages which are part of that space respectively wiki.

So the question is what I have to do in detail to reach that? So what are the steps in detail the create such a specific space? How to assign and take care that all guys/members are part of that space? How to take care that all guys/members have the permissions and rights to create and edit all those Confluence Pages which are part of that space respectively wiki? Do you know further things to take care / keep in mind? Is there any tutorial or description of steps according to that what I want to do? Additional: To have more transparency: What Confluence accounts/permissions/rights are needed for myself and the guests in detail (an overview table or something related would be good).

I really hope that you can support accordingly.

Many Thanks.

Best Regards

Nico Schick

3 comments

Max Foerster - K15t
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 11, 2023

Hi @Nico Schick, welcome to the community!

I feel like I need to make an important point first. Unless your Confluence instance is wide open to the internet, meaning anonymous access, and the space gives anonymous users all permissions to interact with content or create it, you are a licensed user at the moment. You have (Confluence) product access, and that requires (unless everything checks out I mentioned before) a license. Maybe verify this in the User Directory or the Billing section of the Atlassian Administration (admin.atlassian.com).

So if you want users to create and edit content in a space, make sure to set up anonymous access for the Confluence instance, the spaces and set up the permissions for anonymous users as well. But be aware that you will not be able to track any changes made (=anonymous users). Was that already helpful?

Best, Max

Nico Schick January 11, 2023

Hello @Max Foerster - K15t

you are telling that I am a licensed user with (Confluence) product access. How do you know that? Honestly spoken I don't know whether I have a license and if so which license degree (license level) I have? Do you know any settings or overview on which I can see all those related information, account and license data and permissions?

The information I am looking for is not safety-critical. It is a general question how guest users (without license or admin user accounts) (so just normal guests) can have access to a specific space (Confluence Page und Confluence Sub-Pages) and that those can create new Confluence Pages or edit existing ones (for the same space). 

In the picture attached you see for what I am searching for.

Confluence_Guest_Users.png

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 11, 2023

Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

There are three ways you get to create and edit content in a Confluence system, and it's layered through three levels.

The permissions layers are that:

• You access Confluence (not necessarily log in)
  • You have edit rights in the space
  • The page you're working with is not restricted away from you

The access types are:

• Licenced user who logs in
  • Anonymous user (never let anonymous users have any write permissions - you can't track them, and if your Confluence is public, you will eventually be spammed/abused)
  • Guest user (Cloud Confluence only, and still in beta)

So, the short answer to your questions is that you will need to talk to your administrators

Your admins must be licenced users though, guests cannot be system admins or space admins.  A system admin can create the space you need and grant the relevant permissions, even if it is just "space admin" to a single person who can then go on to add others to the space.

For more detail on guest users, see https://support.atlassian.com/confluence-cloud/docs/invite-guests-for-external-collaboration/

Like Max Foerster - K15t likes this
Nico Schick January 16, 2023

Hello,

thanks for response. I really appreciate your help. 

I also think that best idea is to contact corresponding administrator. So that administrator can give permissions needed for guest users for specific Confluence space.

Is that the right way?

So in case I will identify administrator then the administrator can definitely give permissions to guest users so that guest users are able to edit Confluence Pages within specific Confluence space?

Thanks a lot.

Best Regards

Nico Schick

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 16, 2023

Yes, that's correct, you'll need to talk to your admins, they will be able to grant access at some level to your guests.

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events