Do you want natural language search & automated Q&A for Confluence?

Michael Ilewicz April 29, 2022

Hello everybody,

I am a developer working with Artificial Intelligence. I have been thinking about an add-on for confluence that would let your customers search and ask questions across spaces or all of confluence using natural language. The AI would then show documents that are close in meaning to the search prompt or, if it is a question, provide a direct answer to the question as you know it from Google with a link to the source for the info.

You would be able to see the relevant chapter and preview the whole confluence page, all on a dedicated smart search page so that you can quickly browse through relevant pages.

Other applications for this might contain a chat bot that you can implement on your Jira Help Desk or any website, which would let your customers ask questions against your knowledge base and let them raise requests right from your website.

Another potential application I can think of is Natural Language to CQL conversion, but I can't tell you yet how well this would work or if it would even be interesting to you.

There might also be a partner app for Jira that adds the same features to issues instead of pages.

Which of these functionalities would you be most interested in? As there are some computational costs involved to run the AI as well as significant development costs, this of course would need to be a paid app and I would be interested to hear your price expectations about such a feature.

Also, if anybody would like to participate in a more in-depth discussion or a short user-research interview, please reach out to me at matlassapps@gmail.com

2 comments

Srinatha T
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 30, 2022

Hi @Michael Ilewicz ,

Interesting topics actually. But since you are also trying to understand what users are looking for and build based on the feedback. Below are some of the features I think one should have. 

1. Federated search. In confluence we can integrate Jira as well. So, i would be happy if i do a search and it will search in both jira and confluence and display me the results.

2. Image search. At this moment i dont see an option to search based on content in the image so if that is included, it would be nice. 

Thats all from my side. Have a good day!

Thanks,

Srinath T 

Like Michael Ilewicz likes this
Michael Ilewicz April 30, 2022

Thanks for the feedback Srinatha,

federated search should be doable but image search will be difficult as it would need to run a detailed image recognition algorithm through every picture on Confluence, which would become expensive quickly. However, if the image has an alternative text describing the picture, the search will include that.

I might do an auto labelling image macro that runs an image recognition on chosen images and provides an alternative text automatically if more people are interested in such a macro

Like Srinatha T likes this
Srinatha T
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 1, 2022

@Michael Ilewicz , Ok. Yes lets see how many votes we get. 

Dan Delapena February 27, 2023

This sounds awesome. it's been almost a year, how's that progress going?

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events