Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do you really want a reduced colour palette?

Rodney Hughes
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 9, 2019

I have just read (12019-07-10) a Confluence Cloud Editor Roadmap announcement about the new features being rolled out.

https://tinyurl.com/y6lsda92

It states:

"this means a reduced color palette as we want to ensure that any colors in the editor are all visually distinguishable from each other."

Whilst I understand that intent, most organisations have spent a LOT of money investing in a corporate image which includes certain colours.  Quite often organisations want colours for certain text (chapter/section headings etc,) with a very specific RGB colour assignment.

In other cases User s just want full "creative control" over basic text format.

I am very worried that a reduced colour palette will be a HUGE backward step in our organisation if that reduced palette is also rolled out in Server... verging on a disaster for the corporate image.

What we (on behalf of our instance's 4500 global Users) have been hoping for is full RGB control over text colour.

And whilst I am posting this ... the other common frustration is not being able to select fonts.

What is your opinion?

I have also raised a feature suggestion https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONFSERVER-58565  

2 answers

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 9, 2019

Oh for so many of us, PLEASE, yes to simplification.  Please can we have an internet we can actually read?  Most women have a far wider range of colour perception than men, but find stuff designed by men overwhelming.  Most of what designers think is "clever" fails.

I have recently discovered that what I've spent <mumble> years thinking of as "normal" eyesight is horribly biased towards one end of the spectrum.  I've got monitors that can display a single pixel in millions of colours.  But none of them understand my colour weaknesses.

Stop screwing around with minor colour changes that help none of us and please start thinking about it.  There is a cheap, quick and reasonably useful trick - design something, then render it as greyscale - if it does not work, you've failed almost all of us.

We've gone too far with "clever" colours.  Can we take a step back to what works?

0 votes
Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 9, 2019

As a color deficient person myself I would say "No". Bring on the colors.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events