Confluence decision log vs. Jira task

lufft_swdev November 9, 2017

We are currently establishing confluence and jira in our company. We also want to use the "meeting notes" and "decision log" blueprints to manage meetings.

But one thing I am currently struggeling with is to differeate between when to create a decission in the decision log and when to create Jira tasks

Let me give you an example:
During a meeting it turns out that there is a specific task to within the project, that needs additional clarification and work to be done. We can now create a new decision log entry to specify and log progress on this job OR we can create a jira task.

For me the purpose of these approaches is identical and I am not sure what would be bast practice here? 

thanks in advance.

Martin

4 comments

Robert Reiner _smartics_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 9, 2017

I think that both tools could be used for the task you are describing. I assume that the decision blueprint is especially for users that have no JIRA.

I like to think of a decision as something that has impact on the future. You want to make sure that the reason for the decision and the alternatives that have been rejected are recorded for further reference. This includes decisions like why a certain software has been bought or this software architecture has been chosen. So you may need to provide more structured information and I prefer to put this to Confluence. See our decision blueprint as a possible structure for the information that may be relevant in the future (note that this blueprints requires commercial software to be used; I added the link for an example for how this information could be structured). If you need this detailed information, a decision blueprint could be the better solution.

JIRA provides - in my opinion - better support for tasks that need to be scheduled and tracked. So if the concern is tracking a task and not providing detailed information, you could use a JIRA task.

Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 9, 2017

I would say if you have JIRA use that. I think Confluence tasks are most helpful for organizations that do not have JIRA, or if the users the task is assigned to cannot log into JIRA. But if that is not the case I think JIRA is the place to put it.

Caroline Saavedra May 22, 2018

I also agree when it comes to tracking the progress of a task - JIRA should be used.

To discuss and reach a decision use the Decision log.

Teamcision January 31, 2022

This is late, but for those who are still looking. Here is our decision log for JIRA, then you can combine the advantages. The decisions are collected in a decision log but you can still plan them in JIRA.

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events