Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bug? Confluence inserting blank line at top of page

Bill Rudy May 25, 2018

Is this driving anyone else batty?   Very often Confluence will insert a blank line at the top of the page after I've gone into edit mode and you cannot do anything but either cancel or save the page and go back in and delete it.  It seems to mostly if not entirely be related to formatting that first line (Heading 1 etc).  We're on v6.3.1.

7 comments

Danyal Iqbal
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 25, 2018

A blank line before/after a macro is a feature not a bug :(

This might help.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/confkb/confluence-editor-automatically-adds-line-break-before-or-after-a-macro-323387527.html

Change the heading to a paragraph, this might resolve it as well...

Bill Rudy May 25, 2018

?  This is font formatting, not a macro.  And it doesn't always do it, so yeah, I'd say it is a bug.  Either that or the "feature" isn't working properly.  :)  Thx though.

Like Ovidiu T likes this
Emily Errico June 21, 2018

I've dealt with inconsistencies like that in the Confluence editor too. It takes some wrestling, but if you stick to it and try different things to delete the space, it can be resolved. It also helps to copy a page that has the correct formatting and edit it from there.

Hope this helps! :)

Bill Rudy June 22, 2018

Appreciate the reply, but deleting the space isn't the problem, it's the fact that it pops up in the first place, which happens semi-regularly - it just gets old saving a page, only to see this blank line "auto inserted" at the top and having to go into edit mode again just to delete it.  :)

Emily Errico June 22, 2018

Oh, you can just delete it? Mine has to be tricked into deletion, like inserting some text and then deleting the whole line or copy and pasting a macro from another page with no space. Nevermind, we have different issues, it seems.

Bill Rudy June 22, 2018

Yes and Confluence has some "issues" too  ;-)    g/l

Dan Lucovic December 19, 2018

Related pet peeve ... if I have a table on my page, editing the table (adding rows in particular) causes a blank line to be inserted after the table. After numerous such edits, you have a bunch of white space at the bottom of the document. It's easy to clean up, just annoying. Chrome browser.

Like # people like this
Scott Berfield September 16, 2020

This drives me crazy. The entire table implementation is terrible, but the extra spaces is infuriating.

Michael Kuhn January 10, 2019

Same.

Daniel Calcoen October 11, 2019

same (spaces after the table) - Confluence 6.5.0

the tables are inside a panel and the blank lines are added after the table and before the end of the panel

it happens in a few couple of tables (from the about 80 I have)

a priory seems to be in the ones I use striketrhoug (<s>) in some cells (never happens in the others)

When I'll find some time, I'll dig more to try to find more info

Like Scott Berfield likes this
mkudrik February 19, 2020

Same here. Driving me crazy. Actually this is "mine" behavior:

Every time I paste anything (copy&paste) new line is inserted below random tables. For some reason it is connected to tables and it affects lines below tables.

Which table it affected is random with no obvious logic. It almost seems that after every paste different but random table "is picked up" and new line is added under it. It does not matter if table is in the same section, is closest to pasting area or any other obvious rule.  

Every day, I spent 1 hour only by deleting new unintended lines. And all our team (9 people from different companies and with different hardware) is experiencing the same problem as well (i.e. confluence related issue only).

However we use pretty old version already v 6.3.4. but this is still really, really crazy!

Like # people like this
Bill Rudy September 16, 2020

FWIW my OP issue seems to have gone away in newer versions (we're on 7.4 Server). Thank you Confluence gods. Also not getting the added lines after a table, but offhand I don't recall that from before.

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events