Add a sort button on a table in confluence

Alexandre Richard May 28, 2018

I created a table with 100 rows. On the first column there is number from 1 to 100. I need to sort the table directly in confluence with the first column.

24 answers

4 votes
John Gill June 3, 2019

Looking for solution with new editing option. Have a new table, nothing fancy, and can not sort table. Hmm. Just made a table, with header row, and a few lines underneath and no luck. Hmmm any solutions with the new confluence editing on cloud?

3 votes
Matteo Pacenti May 12, 2021

This feature worked perfectly before, and now suddenly stopped (even for a newborn table with a header row and simple cells not merged). 

Anything from atlassian updates?

3 votes
Debbie Beesley June 29, 2019

I'm having the same issue. Checked back on my old pages and they all have sort OK.  Just the ones created with the new editor.

3 votes
Iulia Savin July 13, 2018

Hello!

I've made the table again, though no merges were found... At first, it seemed to be working, but at some point, it just didn't work anymore.

The table includes all kind of Macros- among them, Excerpt Include brings me a summary from other pages (where an excerpt is being used), and some of those excerpts have tables, pictures and graphics inside them. Could any of these elements affect the table property?

It's really frustrating, because it used to work, even with excerpts having tables inside. I believe that only the graphics are a new addition (I'll test this assumption).

If anyone has another workaround idea, it would be really helpful. This summary page really helps me keep track of the news on many projects, but I really need to sort them based on date.

Kind regards!

Iulia

2 votes
Rune C Foyn March 15, 2022

@Fabienne Gerhard Please move "to every column" after "are added" and remove "directly". Thank you!

2 votes
Dan Dries July 25, 2019

Also having the same issue.  Any resolution yet?

2 votes
Andrey Khaneev _StiltSoft_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 29, 2018

If you need to sort when editing or to set a permanent sorting, then you can use Table Filter macro.

1 vote
Adela Ionita March 7, 2023

what did i just read

1 vote
Cory Dearing February 4, 2021

Being able to sort with merged rows should be an option.  Is there a way to request this?  Why do we have to resort to grade school tables to get this feature?

1 vote
Jason Smith October 24, 2019

I just noticed that if you use an excerpt-include on an excerpt that has a table the sort function does not appear in the excerpt-include version.  Note that the sort function in this case does work fine on the original content containing the excerpt.

Is this:

• expected behaviour? 
  • a bug?
  • unknown?

Thanks.

J

1 vote
Niranjan Karve September 8, 2019

After creating a table in the old editor , the sort functionality works perfectly but not using the new editor . Perhaps a bug to be resolved by the Atlassian developers

1 vote
Fabienne Gerhard
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 28, 2018

Hi @Alexandre Richard

a button (or more small arrows) are added directly when you create a table to every column.

It works perfect. But pay attention you can not use the sort function when editing. And it won't be sorted permanently - when you come back to the side it will be shown without sort.

0 votes
Rune C Foyn June 12, 2023

@Fabienne Gerhard Are you still working with Atlassian?

0 votes
Sean Maguire August 19, 2021

same

0 votes
Brittany Cohen May 13, 2021

Same!!

0 votes
Brittany Cohen May 13, 2021

I've experienced the same problem. It works one day and doesn't the next (without any changes made to the page).

0 votes
Fanfan August 20, 2019

Same

0 votes
Vynka Smith August 6, 2019

Same issue here 

0 votes
Mark Hancox June 23, 2019

Just created a table, with a header row, but it doesn't have sort buttons. 

Does having links in some cells prevent this feature from working? 

0 votes
Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 12, 2018

Yeah, merged cells will turn it off. So, will having multiple header rows. I think having a header column as well will turn it off. So, it has to be a very vanilla table ... nothing fancy.

0 votes
Iulia Savin July 12, 2018

Hello!

Very helpful! The one created yesterday has some merged cells for sure.

On the other hand, I don't remember doing any merges in the other table, but I'll check it out anyways.

Tks!

0 votes
Annica Waltersson July 12, 2018

Hi Iulia,

It might be an idea to check if your tables contain any merge cells since merged cells in a table prevent the table for being sortable.

Cheers,

Annica

0 votes
Iulia Savin July 12, 2018

Hello!

I created 2 similar pages containing tables with header row and the sorting worked perfectly fine. Until it didn't work anymore on one of the mentioned pages. I can't figure out why (I've checked the history and it didn't help me at all); I've tried to use the button for header creation several times, but nothing changes.

For another page, created yesterday, that header sorting doesn't work either and I can't change this. However, I tried to create another table now and the sorting seems to work just fine.

Could you please help me out with this?

Regards,

Iulia

0 votes
Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 1, 2018

Tables should be sortable if the first row is a header row ... it won't work if it is just a normal row with a background color and bolded. You need to make sure to use the header row button for tables in the editor tool bar.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events