Training Confluence in 2019

Please note that before I go to far into this, that we rebranded Confluence to "Chalk" some time before I even joined the company.

2019 was the year for training and self-service help in the tools. This spawned the revamp of several existing knowledge base sites. We have over 40'000 users, and two admins. We're huge on teaching others how to fish or provide resources so we're not spammed 24 hours a day with questions.

I started with our one-stop-shop for all things Atlassian Tools related, our Atlassian User Community. This page was already established by my co-worker, I just added a few extra buttons to child pages I added in.
Charter AUC.png

Created a menu to navigate to important pages regarding the heavily used tools.
menu.png

Some of these include how to get access to pages and projects:

access.gif

Frequently Asked Questions regarding the tools and change requests (figured out how to make the TOC on the right sticky so it scrolls with you instead of with the page, but apparently I cant upload any of the 5 GIFs I tried to make for this one so you'll just have to trust):
FAQ.png

And a portal that helps users navigate through all the crazy added functionality in our tools that is unique to our instance:
addoncorner.pngFAQ.pngreportproblem.png

The FAQ pages have links that redirect users to helpful how-tos and blog posts:

attachments.png

Oh, and I revamped my Chalk Study Guide.

2020 is all about learning how to admin Jira.

7 comments

Kat Warner
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
December 24, 2019

Wow - I'm living in an almost vanilla Confluence world and you have a sundae with sprinkles!

Like Heth Siemer likes this
Brett Coster January 1, 2020

I'll have mine with sprinkles! What an awesome Confluence revamp. Having just taken over a messy Confluence instance, this has given me so many ideas. 2020 is shaping up to be a busy, yet rewarding year for the Atlassian Admin (me).

Thank you again.

Heth Siemer
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 2, 2020

@Kat Warner 90% of this is just functionality from Content Formatting for Confluence and panels. 

@Brett Coster I'm glad to be your muse! I'd love to see what you did in 2020 next year ;)

Erik Kramer January 3, 2020

@Heth SiemerI have to admit that I'm curious about why your company rebranded Confluence to Chalk. I know the decision predated your joining but was guessing that you asked the same question.

Heth Siemer
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 3, 2020

@Erik Kramer I've asked. Still got no real clue but sounded like previous drama so I haven't cared enough to press. Though, I'm still confused as to why we rebranded Confluence but not Jira? 

Erik Kramer January 3, 2020

LOL. Humans are such random creatures;-)

Heth Siemer
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 4, 2020

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events