cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smart Links, a richer way to hyperlink

88 comments

David at David Simpson Apps
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
August 16, 2021

We've been happily embedding YouTube videos in our documentation, not realising that they don't render at all for anonymous users, instead just showing a rendering error, like so:

Screenshot 2021-07-29 at 13.40.01.png

As smart links actually break the previously existing useful Confluence editor behaviour, it means that you have to unlearn your existing ways of working.

We've actually gone to the extremes of writing our own app to override the smart links behaviour for YouTube so that there is no additional cognitive effort to unlearn this.

It's available for free on Atlassian Marketplace - "YouTube in Confluence" now.

Claus Westerkamp August 18, 2021

Hi,

we need this for Confluence Datacenter as we refrain from going cloud

Melanie C August 27, 2021

Hi @Jonno Katahanas could you provide the link to where the articles says "For more detail on how Smart Links works, check out our support documentation. Let us know what you think below!"

Links to our Sharepoint (companyname.sharepoint.com) do not give Smart Links automatically but give a "click to preview" message next to the link and then on doing that, a dialogue/popover  box says links.atlassian.com wants a confluence admin to approve the link.

I'd like to give our new admin instructions on what exactly he needs to do.

Thanks

Ken Mawbey September 2, 2021

@Jonno Katahanas sounds great, but unfortunately not working for me with Azure DevOps

Like sachin likes this
Ondřej Medek September 7, 2021

@Jonno Katahanasyou have mentioned: we are hoping we'll have something for you by early 2021 I cannot find that in Forge doc, any update about this?

Like # people like this
Leon Hui September 19, 2021

How do you get Smart Link embeds to work with Sharepoint/Word/Visio docs?

Like sachin likes this
sachin October 6, 2021

Is anybody even listening ?

Chris Purser October 7, 2021

Hi,

Can someone please confirm that this is a CLOUD-ONLY feature? It seems implied at the top but someone else asked already and it was never answered. I've not been able to confirm it elsewhere...

Thanks

Like # people like this
Vitalii Saienko
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 11, 2021

Hi @Chris Purser 

Yes, Smart Links is a Cloud-only feature.

Like Chris Purser likes this
Chris Purser October 11, 2021

Thanks Vitalii!

Marian-Ciprian Fudulache October 15, 2021

Please offer us the option to turn off this feature. I understand its benefits but sometimes we just want to write some domains in a list without having to undo after each one. I think we should have the option to choose.

Thanks,

Marian

Like # people like this
James Dellow
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 15, 2021

@Marian-Ciprian Fudulache it might be easier on those occasions to use a (free) add-on like https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1212654/render-markdown for those occasions 

That way, add the macro, then enter your links in Markdown format -e.g:

* [duckduckgo](https://duckduckgo.com)
* [News Board](https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1223376/news-board)
* [https://www.atlassian.com/](https://www.atlassian.com/)[Duck Duck Go](https://duckduckgo.com)

Gives you:

pageshot of 'Testing sharing - James Dellow - Confluence' @ 2021-10-16-1134'42.png

Magda Bytnerowicz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 2, 2021

Hi everyone, thanks for your interest and feedback on this feature. To answer Sachin and anyone else that might be thinking this, yes - we are listening! We will do our best to check in more regularly moving forward, and to respond to new questions or requests, starting with below: 

@James Dellow:

Yes, all Smart Link views of Confluence pages work with the Excerpt macro.

@Ciprian Haldan , @Claus Westerkamp : 

This is a cloud-only feature. There are currently no plans to provide Smart Link capabilities in products that are not cloud.

In Data Center, we have different ways of displaying specific links: page links will resolve to the page title, Jira links will show the Jira issue macro summary view, etc. 

In Data Center you can also make use of the Widget Connector Macro to bridge the gap between Confluence and the other sites and services your team uses to get work done. We support content from a number of different sites, including

• YouTube

• Vimeo

• Twitter

• Google Docs, Sheets, and Slides

• Figma

You can read more about the Widget Connector Macro here: Widget Connector Macro | Confluence Data Center and Server 7.14 | Atlassian Documentation

@Nicolas Casel : 

Apologies – we’ve updated our original post with the link to our support documentation, and have also included it here:

https://support.atlassian.com/confluence-cloud/docs/insert-links-and-anchors/

Full Smart Link functionality is available in all of our cloud products – from our free versions upwards.

@Elissa : 

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions. We’re currently working on ways to include more information to make Jira Smart Link cards (as well as many others) more useful.

For news on the latest features being released in our cloud products, check out our blog.

@Wagner Carvalho : 

Sorry to hear your XD links aren’t working. To help us look into the problem for you, can we ask a couple of questions:

1. Are you using a server or cloud product? If you’re using a server product, Smart Links won’t work. This is a cloud-only feature.
  2. What XD links are you trying to share? We currently support Smart Links for Files & Artboards only.

If you are using a cloud product and you are trying to insert a File or Artboard, we’d love to investigate further (if this issue is still happening). Can you please send through more details to our PM James Birney if above does not resolve the issue for you: jbirney@atlassian.com

@Ken Mawbey : 

At the moment we only support Azure DevOps Work Items as Smart Links in our cloud products.

You can submit a ticket to https://jira.atlassian.com/projects/CONFCLOUD/summary if there are other DevOps types of links you would like to see supported as Smart Links in the future.

@David at David Simpson Apps :

We're investigating the issue of public links in public pages not showing for anonymous users and hope to have an update soon. 

Jim, Patrick, Vlad, Bill, Martin, Masato, Vinko, Andrew, Yuna, Chris, Lane and anyone else that has asked about turning off or opting out of Smart Links - we have heard you and are working on a solution currently. We will update here as soon as we can regarding that. 

Any questions that haven't been answered yet we do plan to address as soon as we can.  

Like Brittany Sudlow likes this
Charles Le November 8, 2021

How do I disable this from happening? I don't always want to use Smart Links. In fact, 90% of the time, I go back to modify and display the full link.

Matthew Adair November 16, 2021

How do I turn this off in Jira comments? This is destroying our workflow.

Christoph Lechleitner December 31, 2021

This is irritating, confusing, and always in the way, stop it!

If I want to insert something smart I want a macro.

If I insert an URL I expect it stay an URL, be displayed as URL, not eat up half my screen, and to open the link in a new tab if I middle-click it.

syisunny January 6, 2022

Hi @Jonno Katahanas ,

Is there any plan to put it into a datacenter version ? or make it available as a plugin on market place for datacenter versions ?

We are using a 7.4 in my company which does not support this smart link.

Or do you have other solutions to display a private gitlab file and pipeline in a confluence page with gitlab authentication?

Thank you for your help!

Best regards,

Yi

brosenek January 14, 2022

@Magda Bytnerowicz your post is ignoring the mountain of requests to turn this off. It's a security nightmare and never anything but obstructive to developers.

JarnoP January 19, 2022

I like the Smart Link cards, but it seems one cannot format the content of the card. For some reason Confluence adds the Azure DevOps `Area Path` to the card title and that is just way too much clutter.  

Steve January 25, 2022

If you want to bulk change links defaulted to Inline to show full URL then try the app we built for Confluence. Bulk change links to URL (vice versa). Easy Link Editor for Confluence.

We are looking to do something similar for Jira. Feedback appreciated.

I read your comment

@brosenek @Matthew Adair @Charles Le @Marian-Ciprian Fudulache @Lane Cipriani @Andrew Boyd @Chris Shenton @Mikel King @Misato T @Yuna Kim @Vinko Grgic @Bill_P @Patrick Nelson @David at David Simpson Apps @Tina Hutchinson @Martin Sauter 

if your team uses Confluence the app could help manager links even if I this doesn't deal with the issue of changing the default link type.

StingyJack March 16, 2022

@Vitalii Saienko  @Jonno Katahanas - I shouldnt have to hit any special keys in JIRA in order for it to accept that which I actually typed, nor should any special key combinations be required to avoid exposing myself and others to security risks.

Michael Junge March 18, 2022

The essence of Smart links is very nice, but really should be optional for each url entered. What is smart about it is the ability to show URLs in different ways, but what is catastrophic is that it's automatic and can't be toggled off.

Working with documentation of website structures of sometimes 500+ urls, Confluence is just not an option for us in these cases. And in any use case, for us, having urls automatically and unsolicited resolve to a clickable link and renamed to their Page Titles is never what we want. 

To me the fix is easy and obvious: Make Smart links an option in the "Insert /" menu, and as an inline option (like the "Comment" option when highlighting a word), although I know there are many more use cases for Atlassian to consider than ours.

smartlink.png

Like Alexander Härenstam likes this
Alaur Rahman March 30, 2022

Need an option to turn this off by default, very annoying having to revert links to URL display each time. 

Not sure what problem it's supposed to solve with this unwanted feature. Completely pointless for me as most links I post are behind a login page

Like # people like this
Craig Conover April 13, 2022

The Salesforce account smart link card content show ver little content. Can it be customized? And can I created my own smart link for a custom salesforce view?

Like Alexander Härenstam likes this
Sridhar Kaushik June 21, 2022

What do i do to add this feature to Box?

Please walk me through the steps.

Thanks

Sridhar Kaushik

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events