Page status, a new way to keep your team informed!

Hi Confluence Community,

Let’s talk about the fear of writing. For many, putting pen to paper is terrifying. Then having to share work with other people so that it can be critiqued or reviewed? CRINGE.

If you’re like me, there's nothing worse than someone leaving feedback on a page before it’s ready. As a Product Manager, it’s important that my teammates know what to expect and how to interact with one of my Confluence pages when it's shared across the organization.

I know many of our customers share similar frustrations, which is why I’m thrilled to introduce you to page status! 

A page status sets expectations for viewers and collaborators when they come to a page. Users can choose out-of-the-box page statuses or customize them to best fit their teams' needs.

5fd15b8a-946c-48b1-bd11-b125f5145f9c.gif

With this new functionality, you can add, remove, and change pages states by selecting Add page status in the hover menu when editing.

b577504f-5246-4c29-a582-0d9357140c18.gif

You can use page status to:

• Set page expectations for people viewing your pages. You can use page statuses independent of the lifecycle of the page. This help you communicate things like when a page is in-progress, ready for review, or out-of-date, allowing for more confidence in content creation, without needing to lock down in-progress pages.
  • Help people share feedback at the right time. A status is eye-catching and guides collaborators and content consumers to know when and how to interact with a page right away.

bc7f7c7f-6578-4639-989a-0b4600ddb862.png

• Create and re-use personal workflows. You can see a list of up to three recently used page statuses to help you move quickly.

cdc4651c-f0bc-4d82-9dfd-26832fcd3ac1.png

• Standardize workflows for a space. Space admins can guide creators through a specific content creation lifecycle by replacing default, out-of-the-box page statuses with custom statuses for the space. Admins can also turn off custom page statuses or turn off the feature all together.

Screen Shot 2022-06-09 at 12.44.48 PM.png

Page status is coming to Mobile soon!

Screen Shot 2022-06-09 at 12.51.59 PM.png

Page status is currently rolling out, so it should come to your site soon if you don’t see it on your Confluence Cloud instance today.

We want to hear from you! Please tell us what you think in the comments below. ⬇️

94 comments

Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 9, 2022

BOOM! Game changer. Cannot wait for this to come to my company Cloud instance and train everyone on how to utilize the feature.

Like # people like this
Ollie Guan
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 9, 2022

Great experience! Maybe making these status more visible would be more helpful.

btw, any plan for data center?

Like # people like this
Aron Gombas _Midori_
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 9, 2022

Looks great.

Is the status only a "marker" for other users, or is there any additional logic executed if a page is in status X? 

Like # people like this
Therese Hedberg June 9, 2022

The usual question; is this in the Data Center roadmap as well?

Like # people like this
Maurice Pasman June 10, 2022

What will happen if I use this in Cloud, and the space will then be exported and imported in Server or Data Center instances? Will it break or "just" be ignored?

Like # people like this
Matt Reiner _K15t_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
June 10, 2022

This is going to be really helpful!

is there an API we can use to set and update these statuses?

Like # people like this
Heike Fischer June 10, 2022

This is what the teams ask for. Awesome!

Łukasz Modzelewski _TTPSC_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
June 13, 2022

Awesome! It will help us a lot, it will be clear if the page is ready or not yet :) 

Emily Conroy June 14, 2022

This sounds great! Looking forward to using this.
My only query is, can the status be made to stand out a bit more?

Like # people like this
Jordi Garcia June 16, 2022

Can't wait to try it and to link it all together with confluence automation for easier page reviews (draft to completed) but also reviews of content that has been posted for a while and might be outdated.

Would be great to allow others to flag outdated content or suggest a status (outdated) to notify it might need reviewed.

Like # people like this
Aron Gombas _Midori_
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 16, 2022

Will Automation for Confluence be able to work with the page status?

Like # people like this
Piet Hadermann June 19, 2022

Would be great if this was also available in the Page Properties Report Macro.

Like # people like this
Kalin U
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 22, 2022

@Sam Ugulava Is it possible to search for pages with a certain status?

Can a report page be created with a list of pages per status?

Great addition. It has a lot of potential when coupled with Automation for Confluence when it goes public.

Like # people like this
Klaus Ergert June 22, 2022

I also join in with above users:

• Let us search for pages per status (report macro)
  • Indicate status on page tree for quick navigation
Like # people like this
Matthew Goodin June 23, 2022

This is great! I've been doing it manually with a note/info/error/warning section at the top depending on the status of the page, so I'll definitely be making use of this feature when my Cloud instance gets it. Thank you!

Like Josh Simnitt likes this
Rachel Male June 24, 2022

Looks good. This could be useful for us when we are re-building our space. 

Mateus Ferreira Joia June 24, 2022

This is amazing! I always thought that the possibility to update statuses on pages in Confluence would be very interesting and now you have given us this solution.
Thank you very much! Confluence just keeps getting better!

Uday Joshi June 27, 2022

This is a nice feature! 

I also join in with the above users:

• Let us search for pages per status (report macro)
  • Indicate status on page tree for quick navigation
Like # people like this
John Fenger June 27, 2022

I like this as a first step... But its rather half baked in its current state.  If this isn't shown in page properties reports, or in page trees or as part of links it's a pretty low value feature.  Far better to just Type this status into the title, or add a status field of the page so its visible w/out having to navigate to each page to see this.  

I would have far preferred you spent this dev time actually making your in status macro feature work more like this!.  Create default status options, make it work like a drop down from page properties reports would have been 10000% more useful that this.  As it stands now i have to just manually add status options to my page so users can copy and paste them in.   Its stupid.  But hey, now we have another half baked status tool, we cannot entirely use.... cool.   

Like # people like this
Tami Dubi June 27, 2022

Hi,

Thanks for sharing,
1. Is there a way to control the option from a site level? If we want to create standardized procedures across the organization, each space shouldn't create its page statuses.
It is the 2nd feature you entered this month (recommended pages) that was inserted into all the pages without the ability to control it at a site level. This feature is clearly a part of organizational governance, and we should be able to control it at that level.

2. Will it be linked to a page life cycle automation? With validation notification and automated archiving for pages that haven't been verified for a while?
So finally, we will be able to avoid stale content.

Like # people like this
Sarah (Kwon) Halverson June 27, 2022

This is super exciting and can't wait to start using it! When will I see this feature available in our instance?

Like clair.hyde likes this
Adrian Hülsmann - B1NARY
Marketplace Partner
June 27, 2022

Hello @Tami Dubi

for true content lifecycle management, the capabilities of page status are rather limited. 

They might help, but there is no further logic behind it. In the current state page status are rather a „better looking“ page label. 

If you need more functionality including review and archiving workflow, content analysis and more, you might check out Breeze

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1227647/breeze-content-archiving-made-simple-for-confluence-cloud?tab=overview&hosting=cloud

We are the developers of Breeze, so if have questions or would like to see a demo, feel free to reach out to me. 

There is a link at the marketplace listing to schedule a demo. 

All the best,

Adrian (CEO of B1NARY)

Like Elly Belfort-Mattos likes this
Logi Helgu June 28, 2022

I was excited about this...but have to admit that it's not really living up to my expectations...maybe this can be improved with the ideas here from others.

What I've done in this situation is:

1. Locking a page and only giving access to people who are working on it or reviewing, works great
  2. Putting a Info macro box at the top and notifying on the "status" there...not great because you have to open up the page to see it
  3. Putting "DRAFT" in the title of the page, pretty clear

This new feature is just built in 2. The problem is that the status isn't visible on the menu if you hover over the page, and not visible until you have access the page.  If this new "Page Status" would be part of the name and then the links to the page that could help alot...until then I think I'm sticking with 3 since it's much clearer from any links to the page (as well as the menu) that this is in draft.

Good to see new things added but I don't see the value in this...at least for now.

Would also like to know the reasoning for only 5 states and seeing the last 3 custom ones...as well as the 20 letter limit to the custom statuses...just out of curiosity 

Like # people like this
Jean W. June 28, 2022

Dear Atlassian,

The new status field looks pretty at the top of the page, but it is useless.
Instead of the status macro, which shares the same name and is used in the Page properties macro for reporting on pages during their publication cycle.
status_macro.png

I fail to see how the newly added status enables workflows.
Perhaps you can clarify this. I am very interested in your reasoning.
As I see it, setting the status is a manual, per page, process, which is only available in edit mode.

In addition, the new status field does not seem to be enabled for search or reporting.
This effectively renders it useless for business use.

Moreover it leads to confusion as there is already such a field.

Like # people like this
Sophie Tessier June 29, 2022

Can I Show a list of page + Status in the overview page, so all team members can see the progress of the project ? 

Like # people like this

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events