Introducing the Confluence Daily Digest!

My name is Daniel Ayele and I’m a Product Manager on the Confluence team here at Atlassian. I’m excited to introduce the new Confluence Daily Digest email which is rolling out to all customers in the next few weeks.

Digest.pngWith this new feature, instead of receiving one off email notifications for every page update, you will receive a single email the following morning with a summary of updates across pages, blog posts, and spaces you’re watching. All other email notifications (comments, page shares, etc) won’t be affected by this change.

If you’d still like to receive all of your page update emails you can toggle this setting off in Confluence email settings.

Why the Daily Digest?

Over the years we’ve heard from many customers about how frustrated you are with many aspects of our Confluence notifications experience. In particular, we’ve heard that people receive way too many email notifications from Confluence, cluttering their inboxes and making it difficult to stay up to date with their team’s work.

Our research found that page update notifications were the worst offenders in our notifications experience. We sent too many of them and they usually weren't actionable or useful for customers. So we experimented with batching these notifications on a daily basis and were able to reduce the total number of customer emails sent by 30% while keeping customers just as engaged and informed about their team’s work.

Check it out!

We’re excited and encouraged by these results and believe this new feature will go a long way towards improving Confluence customer satisfaction, establishing more customer trust with our notifications experience, and setting the foundation for a more delightful and engaging Confluence notifications experience.

We’d love to hear your feedback on the new experience, feel free to leave thoughts in the comments below. And stay tuned on the Atlassian community for more improvements on our notifications experience.

99 comments

Mirek
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 27, 2022

Thanks @DA Daniel for sharing! Is this only for Cloud or you plan to release that for DC as well?

Like # people like this
DA
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 27, 2022

Hi @Mirek this is only available on Confluence Cloud

Like # people like this
Kalin U
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 28, 2022

@DA , this improvement does touch upon pains Confluence users have. Thanks for it.

How are users going to be informed about the option? Will they be automatically moved to the new experience (a daily email) or should they opt in?

How can I as an admin help them choose this option (a single place to set it for all site users by default, maybe)?

Like # people like this
G subramanyam
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 28, 2022

Hi @DA thank you for this feature and article.

Off late, I see these daily digest emails in my office mailbox and wondered if it is a spam. But now, I realized it is this new feature.

Like # people like this
DA
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 28, 2022

Hi @Kalin U the new experience is automatically ON for all users. If they would like to turn it off they can navigate to email settings and will find a setting there.

Like # people like this
DA
Atlassian Team
June 28, 2022

@G subramanyam sorry for any confusion, you must have been an early adopter! Glad this article helped clear things up.

Like ronald_bergmann likes this
정한나(Hanna Jung)/IT June 28, 2022

Our organization has received random emails. When will it be set for all users?

Paul Madison
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 29, 2022

Is there global setting to turn this off for users?

Like # people like this
DA
Atlassian Team
June 29, 2022

@정한나(Hanna Jung)/IT the feature is rolling out now so will be available shortly for all customers

Like # people like this
DA
Atlassian Team
June 29, 2022

@Paul Madison this page details our email notifications settings: https://support.atlassian.com/confluence-cloud/docs/subscribe-to-email-notifications/. We give end users the ability to control and manage their email settings, and site admins have the ability to turn notifications on or off for their instance. 

Like # people like this
Phil Yen June 29, 2022

Hi @DA , I'd like to disable getting the Daily Digest email. I've checked my email settings, and the "Subscribe to daily updates" box is already unchecked (I didn't have to uncheck it myself). Why am I still getting the Daily Digest emails? Is there another setting I have to use? Thanks.

Like # people like this
DA
Atlassian Team
June 29, 2022

Hey @Phil Yen the setting for this is called "Subscribe to a daily digest" so make sure that one is unchecked. It usually takes ~24 hours to update/process so if you uncheck it you should stop receiving the daily digest by tomorrow.

Like # people like this
Paul Madison
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 1, 2022

We have users with no Confluence licenses receiving the daily digest.  Is this normal behavior?

DA
Atlassian Team
July 1, 2022

Hey @Paul Madison we send the digest to all valid recipients who are watchers of pages or spaces in your instance. If those users are currently receiving other notifications from Confluence then they are valid recipients.

Nikki Zavadska _Appfire_
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 1, 2022

I would LOVE to see this for Jira and Community too 😊 My inbox would be so happy!

Like # people like this
Lasse July 8, 2022

we also receive a daily "[Confluence] Confluence changes in the last 24 hours" Newsletter. The "[Confluence] Daily Digest" no comes on top and includes less information than the 24 hours newsletter. Where is the difference?

Like # people like this
Fred Boak July 8, 2022

How do I disable the Daily Digest? I see in previous comments that there should be a checkbox for daily digest in the email settings, but I don't have that. 

Untitled.jpg

I'm already getting autowatch emails for page updates, I see no need for the digest. 

Like # people like this
Ariel Browne July 8, 2022

When we click on the emails in the daily digest, it just takes is to the page but doesn't show what was edited. Also, it doesn't show any of the published version notes so you can quickly see what adjustments were made.

Are we missing something? The fact that this was a universal change and we have no universal way of turning it off for everyone is not good. Now no one knows what has actually changed.

Like # people like this
DA
Atlassian Team
July 8, 2022

@Lasse thanks for asking, happy to help clarify.

The email you're referring to, the Confluence daily summary, is a summary of all activity in your Confluence instance, which is sent in addition to all other Confluence emails.

The Confluence Daily Digest is only a summary of page updates across all of the pages and spaces you're watching, and is sent instead of individual page update emails, saving you a ton of room in your inbox.

We'll continue to evolve these over time and aim to improve and clarify this experience

Like # people like this
DA
Atlassian Team
July 8, 2022

@Ariel Browne thanks for the feedback.

As detailed in the post, after speaking to many customers and learning about their frustrations with the Confluence notifications experience, we realized that the better default experience for the vast majority of customers is to have a single daily notification containing a summary of all pages that have been updated, as opposed to individual emails for each page update. Many customers also didn't care as much about specifically what had changed, rather they wanted to understand which content had changes made.

We recognize that's not true for all customers, so what I would recommend is if you and your users benefit from more notifications with more specific content updates (such as the diff of what's changed between versions) you should have users turn the daily digest off.

In the future we have plans to continue to improve the daily digest experience, so we may be able to start to include additional information about what's changed in those notifications.

Like # people like this
DA
Atlassian Team
July 8, 2022

@Fred Boak sorry to hear that you're having trouble with this. Our team has investigated this issue and it's a known issue affecting a small number of customers. We are working on a fix which should be out in the next week.

Jeannine Hooper-Yan July 22, 2022

I have used the Daily Summary email to get a single email with all changes in Confluence for the last several years.  In the last few days, I started receiving the Daily Digest and my Daily Update emails have stopped.  When I check my email preferences, Subscribe to Daily Updates is still selected.

How do I get my Daily Updates back?  Based on the descriptions - Daily Updates gets me 1 email summarizing all changes I have permission to view and Daily Digest only includes Spaces I'm watching.  Also, the Daily Update includes a link to take me directly to the compare view to see exactly what changed.

Daily Digest is useless for me.  According to it, only 1 page has been changed in the last few days. For now, I'm having scan the recent activity of other users under the Home page.

Like # people like this
Andy Brook
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 26, 2022

Dear Atlassian,

One of our users just noticed this, mailed us:

"Please unsubscribe me from your unwanted Newsletter immediately. I have not subscribed to it. And I have no option with my Atlassian account.  If I receive this again, the case will go to our legal department."

It appears users are supposed to be able to disable this through Profile "email settings" but how do they do that if they have registered an Atlassian ID account on a site that only allows anonymous access? 

It seems your notification logic includes users without application access who can't disable their notifications through the user menu for a site where they only have anon access.  Bug?

For us this is a feature fail requiring us to just it off entirely.

Like # people like this
Nancy Shao
Atlassian Team
July 26, 2022

@Andy Brook we actually fixed this issue last week, users who are unlicensed should not be getting anymore daily digests this week, please let us know via support if your user is still receiving digest and they are an unlicensed. 

Like # people like this
Andy Brook
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 26, 2022

customer will be pleased, thanks.

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events