Importing MS Word and Google Docs into Confluence just got easier

Hi community! Elaine here from Confluence Cloud Product Management.

As you may know, earlier this year, we launched the feature to integrate your Microsoft OneDrive or Google Drive files into Confluence pages. I’m glad to announce that we have started rolling out a new Document Import feature with richer functionality and improved user experience to bring more ease to your work with content across tools.

You can import the below document types directly into a Confluence page :

• a MS Word document

• a Google Doc file

The new Import feature is located in the right box inside of the new Confluence editor, side by side with the new Templates feature. Please note this will only appear when creating a new page, not editing an existing page.

IFS_Marketing.png

FAQs

• When will this feature be available to me?

• We are currently rolling out so you should see it by the end of week ending November 6.

• What will happen to the old Import Word Document feature?

• Some of you might be familiar with the previous Import Word Document feature as seen in the screenshot below. This will continue to exist for some time, at least 30 days after the 100% rollout date, to ease the transition.

Intro - Elaine Hankins - Confluence 2020-09-08 14-55-03.png

Please try out the new Import feature when it is available on your Confluence site. Feedback? Questions? Other document formats you’d like to see imported or integrated into Confluence? Please feel free to comment here. Our team is listening. Thank you!

24 comments

Deleted user October 2, 2020

Hi Elaine, is this feature already available? Thanks!

Jefferson Choi October 8, 2020

Hi Elaine, I want to follow up to see if this feature is already available. Thanks!

Elaine H.
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 9, 2020

@[deleted] @Jefferson Choi , thank you for your patience. We're now looking at end of October to complete 100% rollout. Our rollout had been progressing and was put on a brief hold in September due to factors unrelated with this feature. I'll keep y'all posted.

Warmly,
Elaine

Like Deleted user likes this
Deleted user October 9, 2020

Thank you very much for the update @Elaine H. !

Cheers, 

Irene

Robin Binder November 4, 2020

October is over, but I still don't have these new features. Is there an updated date?

Elaine H.
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 4, 2020

@Robin Binder , the release to the remaining customers is now scheduled to go out by the end of this week. Let me update the timeline in the post as well. Thank you for your kind reminder.

Aparna Agarwal November 10, 2020

Hi, I am not seeing this feature in my Confluence Cloud instance. How do we go about getting it?

Anand Kashyap
Atlassian Team
November 10, 2020

Hi @Aparna Agarwal , Could you share the name of your Confluence instance? We will check on our end.

Like Anand Kashyap likes this
Anand Kashyap
Atlassian Team
November 10, 2020

@Aparna Agarwal , Are you able to see the new Templates drawer in the editor? 

Aparna Agarwal November 10, 2020

@Anand Kashyap Yes I am 

Anand Kashyap
Atlassian Team
November 10, 2020

@Aparna Agarwal Could you provide general product feedback using the Give Feedback under the Confluence help menu? You can state the issue and link to this thread and ask the Confluence Cloud Ecosystem team to follow up.  That way we can try to reach out to you privately and investigate this further. Thanks for your patience.

Martin Sauter November 11, 2020

Finally!

Robin Binder November 16, 2020

@Elaine H. Hi Elain, we still are missing the ability to see comments in edit mode!

Kfir Wolfson November 26, 2020

Thanks, it is really important to us that you keep the old Import Wizard available until the new Import has the option to Split to pages by Headings.

Thanks!

Like Diego likes this
warren December 15, 2020

I attempted to import a google doc from Google Drive.  I was prompted to login to Google, then select the file.  The import began and at about 70% I got an error.  I ensured the file was closed, but still unsuccessful.  I thought it might have been because it was in a shared drive, so I copied it to my Drive, but still unsuccessful.

I have no idea why it was unsuccessful since the error has no details.  Any suggestions?Screen Shot 2020-12-15 at 2.31.52 PM.png

Like # people like this
Steve Wlodarczyk January 15, 2021

@warrenI got that same error using a Word Import on a few occasions.  I narrowed mine down to removing my TOC and headers and footers before the import and the error went away.  Unfortunately, that was just in my case.  I am sure there are other things that could cause it.

Steve Wlodarczyk January 15, 2021

The Import Word Beta feature, instead of a template, worked for me back in early December, but now it displays nothing after the import.  It says it imports the file, but there is no content. Once you publish the page it displays a label that says "This editor does not support displaying this content". 

If I go and create a new page and then choose the ellipsis and Import Word Document, it uploads the content but images don't have hover links in them anymore.  

I just posted my Import Word issues here:  https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Confluence-questions/Import-Word-Document-Can-t-Click-on-Images/qaq-p/1581135

jennifer.garcia January 28, 2021

You can now import the google doc when you first create a new page but it does not ever refresh the doc and so when I tried to delete and reimport it the only option is to import from word....very disappointing.

I should be able to import a doc from google and be able to refresh the content as the document is changed

Like # people like this
Alex Bulkin April 11, 2021

Hi @Elaine H. 
When importing a Google sheet, the Confluence page will be aligned with the changes to the original doc in Google?

Manfred Jordan November 8, 2021

Hi,

trying to import a word document but an error message occurs not implemented. :-(

Hamid Bouzid February 23, 2022

Hello Elaine,

I'm not able to import documents from Google "Shared Drive", when I click on Import > Google Doc > it only shows documents from my personnel Google Drive, not the shared drive.

Does this have to do with Google permissions or Confluence not seeing the shared drive?

Thank you,

Hamid

Like Kindrela Culver likes this
Kindrela Culver March 21, 2022

I am having the same issue. When I select "import" for google drive, confluence doesn't populate all files in drive. Of the files that populate, unfortunately, the one I need is not listed. 

Ralph Janke May 5, 2023

It still does not appear in the list if all the modules of the plugin are enabled

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events