Grammarly Issue for Confluence & Jira Mobile Samsung Users

Hi, my name is David Akinyemi, and I am the Product Manager on Confluence Mobile Growth.

Our team has become aware that Atlassian users on Samsung [S10, S20, S21, S22] are experiencing issues when editing content in Jira and Confluence due to the new Grammarly writing assistant feature.

The assistant replaces content in your Confluence pages and blog posts as well as Jira issues with its own HTML content, additional spaces, and may cause page content to be deleted.

The Issue

If the assistant is enabled, users may experience the following issues:

Excessive spaces 

Replacements of your content with obj

image-20220407-165258.png image-20220407-165543 (1).png

Workarounds

Option 1 (RECOMMENDED): Update Samsung Keyboard Settings

1. Open Keyboard settings

2. Scroll down to the bottom

3. Go to About Samsung Keyboard

4. Tap on Update

tempFileForShare_20220408-104529.jpg

To ensure the writing assistant is disabled,

1. Open keyboard settings

2. Go to  Suggest text corrections

3. Go to  Manage Apps

4. Make sure that the feature is disabled for Atlassian apps

Screenshot_20220408-101403_Samsung Keyboard.jpgScreenshot_20220408-101407_Samsung Keyboard.jpgScreen Shot 2022-04-08 at 1.56.47 PM.png

Option 2: Disable Grammarly for all applications

If the keyboard version is older than 5.4.60.44 and you don’t have an option to update it, disable the writing assistant completely. This will disable the writing assistant for all apps.

1. Open the keyboard settings

2. Go to Suggest text corrections

3. Disable writing assistant powered by Grammarly

Screenshot_20220407_140158.pngScreenshot_20220407_140432.png

How to Recover Deleted Content

If you make changes within the editor and tables disappear or newlines are inserted, you can save your changes by hitting the undo button after disabling the writing assistant.

1. Within the editor tap into keyboard settings.

2. Disable Grammarly (see instructions above)

3. Reopen Confluence with the editor still up and hit undo.

WARNING: Do not hit undo before turning off Grammarly since Grammarly will just try to apply the changes all over again. Turn off Grammarly in the system first, then hit undo. This should return the edited page to normal!

Thank You!

We are in the process of contacting Grammarly to work together to resolve these issues but wanted to pass the information along to our users as soon as possible. We will keep you updated as the situation progresses. 

3 comments

Srinatha T
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 9, 2022

Thank you for the detailed info. It will really help if any users are facing this issue. 

Michelle Martin December 29, 2022

Thanks for this but the issue is not limited to those devices listed. I have encountered this issue on Samsung A52 phone (Android 12) and on my desktop PC (Windows 10). I am using the built in keyboard and a bluetooth mouse.

I have just found this work around and the Grammarly setting was on in my A52 so have just modified that setting. Not sure about where to find a disable function for this in Windows but will take a look.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 29, 2022

@Michelle Martin 

• Welcome to the Atlassian Community!
  • You're absolutely right, it's not limited to just the devices and apps @David Akinyemi mentions.
  • The more reports we can get on OS/hardware/browser/app we can get, the better, so thank you!
Like # people like this

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events