Full speed embed! Introducing a new way to Smart Link

Update as of Nov 30, 2022: 

The ability to edit Confluence pages natively via Smart Links has been rolled out to all customers!

Update as of Aug 29, 2022: 

In addition to inserting Confluence pages and viewing them as embeds within Smart Links, you can now edit Confluence pages natively via Smart Links! Simply click on the 'pencil' icon on the top right to switch to the edit mode. When you are done with your edits, click on 'Publish'.

Smart Link Edit.gif

This new capability allows you to view and edit Confluence pages without switching context and streamline your workflow.  All customers can expect to see this new capability within the next few weeks. 

-------

Hi everyone, I’m Lennon Liao, a Product Manager focused on building integrated Confluence Cloud experiences across Atlassian’s products to help you work better together.

I’m happy to announce that you can now embed full :page_facing_up: Confluence pages using :link: Smart Links! If you’ve ever added a URL into a Confluence page or Jira issue, you’ve likely seen Smart Links before. Hyperlinks are automatically converted to Smart Links, adding a visual “pop” to the page.

Until now, Smart Links have had three options for displaying content: 1) as a URL, 2) as an inline link, and 3) as a card. With our new update, there is a fourth option: inserting a full, rich Confluence page—we call this a Confluence Smart Link embed.

WORK-926-JSW+Confluence smart link.gif

📄  How to add a Confluence page as an embed through Smart Links:

1. Paste your Confluence URL. By default, it will be converted to an inline link.

2. Click the inline link that you just created. You will have an option to select your preferred format.

3. Click “Display embed,” and your link will be displayed as an embedded Confluence page!

image-20211105-162145.png

Note: Trello works similarly. To add an embed into Trello, copy your Confluence URL, and paste it directly into a card. It will automatically convert, and you can view the embed by clicking the preview button WORK-926-Trello+Confluence-smart-link.gif

:zap: How Smart Link embeds help you:

• Content creators can reference relevant and rich content from Confluence to provide more context.

• Content consumers can deeply engage with context, without having to leave the page the Embed is presented on. Embeds essentially act as a substitute for having to click through to the link itself, bringing the link’s content and experience within the Atlassian product the link is shared in.

💡 Creative ways to use embeds:

1. Jira: Bring project execution and documentation closer together—review project tasks and the requirements document all in one place. The value is wide-reaching and applicable for Jira Software, Jira Work Management, Jira Service Management, and Jira Align.

2. Trello - Quickly preview Confluence pages from your Trello board without having to click into individual card details.

3. Team Central - Easily add more project context/documentation into your Team Central project or goal briefs.

This works across many Atlassian products that use the editor:

• Confluence - In the page body or page comments
  • Jira - Issue descriptions
    • Jira Software - In addition to Smart Link embeds, Jira Software has an even more powerful embedded page experience available. Learn more
    • Jira Work Management
    • Jira Service Management
    • Jira Align
  • Trello - Create a Link Card by pasting a Confluence page URL into the title of your card. Click the preview button from your board view to open the embedded Confluence page
  • Team Central - Status updates

We’re currently rolling out Confluence Smart Link embeds, so if you don’t see it on your Confluence Cloud instance today, it should be coming very soon. We hope this helps you build bridges across products and add extra context to your projects! We’re working hard on more features to make Atlassian tools more interconnected. If you have any feedback, feel free to leave a comment!

80 comments

Pramodh M
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 18, 2022

Great way to have a Gist of the page in Jira Issue!!

Adds lot more value with these integration features

Thanks @Lennon Liao 

Like # people like this
Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 18, 2022

@Lennon Liao great enhancement. Will we be able to control the size of the tile, or will it be a single standard size?

Like # people like this
Lennon Liao
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 19, 2022

Hi @Andy Gladstone - Yes, you can drag the sides to customize the size of the tile!

Like # people like this
Kyle Le Pine January 31, 2022

Hello, I've found that the "Display embed" option is not available when I simply paste a confluence URL into a JIRA issue (control-v), but it does if I invoke the insert link macro via control-k ... Is this expected behaviour?

Like # people like this
Lennon Liao
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 1, 2022

@Kyle Le Pine The Display embed option should be available when you paste (Ctrl-v) a Confluence URL into a Jira issue description. Do you mind sending me a screenshot/recording? Thanks!

Like Andy Gladstone likes this
jim February 7, 2022

Anything to do with smartlinks just make my heart sink and makes me detest the 'product management' of atlassian product.  This saga is ridiculous:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-72429

Like # people like this
Curt Holley
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 7, 2022

@Lennon Liao and @Kyle Le Pine I've worked out that if you paste the URL it sits there as a URL link. Change it to "Inline" then go to change it again and embed is there. 
Note: it isn't there when changing from URL initially. But presumably....it should be??

Like # people like this
Mike Eastwood February 7, 2022

@atlassian, why are you new Link features when you still haven't addressed the "Open In New Tab" issue?

Why can't I specify "Open in new tab" when linking?

-Mike

p.s. it's ironic that I can hyperlink here, and specify "open in new page" but not in Confluence.

Like # people like this
Lennon Liao
Atlassian Team
February 8, 2022

Thanks for the feedback @Mike Eastwood. Are you looking to specify "Open in new tab" when pasting a link onto a Confluence page or onto a Jira issue?

Tobias H
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 8, 2022

Jira - Issue descriptions

• Jira Service Management

So an agent can't link the Conf page as a comment, only edit it into the description?

Edit: Forgot to say that I am very happy about this announcement, I can forsee some great use cases! Good work :)

Like Lennon Liao likes this
Warron Lunde February 8, 2022

I totally agree with @Mike Eastwood . Not having an "Open in new tab" option seems like such a basic omission from the linking functionality in Confluence.

Like # people like this
Lennon Liao
Atlassian Team
February 8, 2022

Hi @Tobias H You can link a Confluence page into the Jira Issue comment (not just the  Jira issue description). 🙂

Like Tobias H likes this
Tobias H
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 8, 2022

@Lennon LiaoI see, I got it backwards then. That sounds amazing. Thanks for your reply 😊

irina.korik February 8, 2022

@Lennon Liao 

1. This is a valuable feature, but there is a performance concern. I've noticed a decent Jira slow down while testing this feature.

2. Looks like it is not available when creating new ticket, so it takes extra steps to go edit the ticket to enable embed.

3.Issue reported above is reproducible with Display URL option selected. (Actual URL was removed from Screenshot for security reason)Screen Shot 2022-02-08 at 11.30.26 AM.png

Like Kelly Arrey likes this
Randy O_Neal
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 8, 2022

This is a great addition!  This goes miles integrating the two platforms... nicely done!

Like # people like this
Mike Eastwood February 8, 2022

@Lennon Liao apologies for my snippy comment earlier.

It's always been frustrating for me that I can't add "open in new tab" in any link, anywhere in Confluence or Jira.

Happy to place the feedback in a more constructive way if "you tell me where to go" ;o)

Thank you

Mike

Like # people like this
Stuart Montgomery February 8, 2022

"Open in new tab/window" please.

Ruchit Panchiwala February 8, 2022

Useful feature, thanks team Atlassian!

Lennon Liao
Atlassian Team
February 8, 2022

Hi @Mike Eastwood I did some research and looks like there has been a similar request to yours submitted by other folks. We will definitely consider this as we look at our next set of product features to prioritize. Thanks for the feedback!

Like # people like this
Patryk Potaczek February 8, 2022

It might be a beneficial help to integrate a file with more sophisticated visual editing into Jira description. Yet the user can easily avoid the minor issue with no possibility of opening it in a new tab with the habit of the middle mouse clicking any external links. Although I can only speak of myself on that matter :)

Bart De Baere February 9, 2022

Finally! ❤️

D.M.Isca February 9, 2022

Great feature to keep the focus on the wrapping element!

Will it be possible to include a specific Excerpt? That could be the perfect way to import only the relevant information for that specific Jira / Trello card rather then an entire page with all its contents that could make things less clear.

Like # people like this
Andreas February 9, 2022

Great news! Unfortunatly this new function doesn't work for me just yet. It just gives me an error dialog like the one in the attached picture. Can someone from Atlissian maybe take a look at this? My work will benefit tremendously from this functionality, once it works that is :) 

Skärmklipp.PNG

Like # people like this
Ryan Beller February 9, 2022

Same as Andreas:

2022-02-09_09-07-06.png

Like Andreas likes this
Elizabeth Sprouse February 9, 2022

This is super - question - can you confirm that the user has to have access to the page being shown or the page needs to have anonymous access enabled for them to be able to see it?

Thanks!

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events