Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changes to the Companion App in Confluence 6.15.6 and 6.13.6

35 comments

Brad Taplin July 28, 2019

It looks like when the "dark feature" is enabled in Confluence 6.15.6 the dropdown "Edit with" path to the Companion disappears. If so. this would frustrate those who do successfully use the Companion, i.e. those in our organization lucky enough to have the rights and/or browser able to use it.

Am I right in thinking this is kind of either/or?

AER IT Procurement July 29, 2019

Is there a decent end user 'how to article' on the changes and it's use?

Our users need a good explanation on the changes.

Thanks,

V

Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 29, 2019

@Brad Taplin Yes, it is either or. The point of this is to bring back the old functionality for those that cannot use the Companion app due to being in a terminal services environment. It sounds like this dark feature will go away once they get the companion app working for terminal services.

Richard Isaacs September 1, 2019

Sorry to say but...idiots. I know this comment isn't useful but I'm so tired of this sort of rubbish.

Brad Taplin September 2, 2019

David, thanks for confirming. So... meh. Meanwhile, back to another urgent patch, to 6.15.9...

Makisa Appleton
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 5, 2019

Thanks for all your comments so far. We're taking the opportunity to speak with customers about their experience with the Companion App.

We're keen to hear from you if you:

• are currently using the Atlassian Companion App, or
  • have tried to install Companion but are experiencing problems.

Please see this post for further details if you'd like to speak with me and the Confluence Server/Data Center team about this feature:

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Confluence-discussions/Atlassian-Companion-App-talk-to-us-about-your-experience/m-p/1169998#M5658

Thanks

Makisa

Chris Calone September 16, 2019

I'm on an Air Force network and we cannot install the Atlassian Companion app unless it has been vetted by Air Force Network Integration Center (AFNIC).

I want to submit the Atlassian Companion app to get certified for use on DoD/AFNET but I will need a point of contact (POC) by the developers.

Who would be the POC for this?

Thanks!

--

Chris

Thomas Egger September 16, 2019

I installed Confluence 7.0.1 locally to find out, if the dark feature still works. Turns out it doesn't.

Do you have the same experience?

@Makisa Appleton What are the plans in order to support Atlassian Companion on Citrix environments?

Like # people like this
Brad Taplin September 17, 2019

Thomas - because the dark feature and Companion appear to be, effectively, mutually exclusive, insofar as enabling the former makes some of the latter not function, we are foregoing the dark feature. Which of course leaves us at least partly where we were the moment we upgraded: many users just lost functionality. It has been so long they have learned to live without that.

This was not a satisfying outcome, but it is what it is. Having to download, edit, and upload is what folks who cannot use the Companion, due to corporate restrictions on both client apps and proxies, will live with. Our users technically have a way to request the Companion, but it's bureaucractic and most won't.

Like Carmen Nadeau likes this
turo September 17, 2019

Hi Makisa, 

"in future releases we will look to address" is actually very bad news, we have expected to read "in Confluence 7.0" which would fit with our users expectation. There is much pressure in our company, and I assume in many others with Citrix landscapes as well, towards Office365 with its surrounding services, including Microsoft Teams. Weak points of any existing tool are very welcomed and not being able to edit Office documents inplace is a heavy one for Confluence. Forwarding "in future releases" as Atlassian's answer without a clear and guaranteed time line means Atlassian ignores customer needs. 

Our situation: Edit in Office will be replaced by Confluence 7.0; Companion App in Citrix environment not supported; Word and Excel macros in Confluence are using WebDav which is not supported anymore ... dead end for all persons which still need to work with Word / Excel / PPT files. 

regards, Roland 

Like # people like this

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events