Formatting Nested Lists

Paul Cartee December 16, 2020

I am creating a CSS file to format a space in Confluence. I'm trying to format a nested list. When I set the font size to 1.5em, the font in the nested list is bigger than the list. Here's an example:

• List Item 
  • List Item
    • Nested List Item - (The font is bigger than the List Item)
    • Nested List Item - (The font is bigger than the List Item)
  • List Item 
  • List Item

I'm not sure why this happens but it's consistant. The Table of Contents at the top of the page renders the same way. 

3 answers

4 votes
Soumyadeep Mandal
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 17, 2020

Hi @Paul Cartee ,

Welcome to the community!

It is actually possible to do this through the normal editor mode. Let me try to explain this

1. Create the numbering first
  2. In the second line, use the "tab" button so that the cursor moves inward
  3. Confluence would use numbering when you move the cursor inward
  4. Change it to "bullet point" by clicking the option

That should do it. I know it's a bit confusing!

also check out this documentation https://confluence.atlassian.com/confkb/how-to-have-nested-number-lists-in-confluence-757465539.html

1 vote
Paul Cartee December 17, 2020

You miss understood what I was asking. The problem is, when I apply my CSS file to a page with a nested bulleted list, the second level of the bulleted list has a font size larger than the first level of the bulleted list, and the 3rd level of the nested bulleted list is larger than the 2nd level. It appears that Confluence keeps increasing the size of the font with each level of the list. 

See the screenhot below for an examle. 

bulleted list example.png

This only happens when I use a CSS file. My question is, how do stop this from happening? I increased the font size for <ol> and <ul>. The 1st level renders correctly, but 2nd and 3rd levels render incorreclty. I tried to increase the font size of only <li> and it reneders the same way. The 2nd and 3rd level font sizes are always larger than the 1st level font size. 

0 votes
Colin East May 31, 2021

For Confluence Cloud, I found that if I go to a page I created that has used the table of contents macro that has three levels of nested bullets, for example, I copy the bullets and paste them into a page I am editing and the nest bullets are maintained.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events