Auto-Labeling Solution for Confluence Pages

Benjamin Becker May 19, 2023

Hi All,

I'm looking for help with an issue we've been facing. We've noticed that users often forget or decide not to add labels to our Confluence pages. This is causing trouble with our content organization and searchability.

I'm wondering if there's an automated solution for creating and applying labels based on page content, to bypass user forgetfulness or reluctance.

Has anyone faced a similar issue or knows of any add-ons or APIs that can help with this?

Thanks in advance!

4 answers

2 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Aron Gombas _Midori_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 19, 2023

Confluence Automation can help with it.

You can set up an automation rule that checks the page title, content, etc. and modifies the labels on the page. You should use the triggers "page created" and "page updated", I guess.

This tutorial video is almost about the same like your use case: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwS-WkfDrqg

Sheerine Baucum
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 24, 2023

Hi @Benjamin Becker the above solution would definitely help with this use case!

Colm Maguire August 25, 2023

The above solution only works on the cloud version

Aron Gombas _Midori_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 25, 2023

@Colm Maguire The question was specifically about the Cloud, see the tags!

On self-hosted Confluence, you can implement something similar or even use the ScriptRunner app.

0 votes
Answer accepted
Petr Sýkora May 22, 2023

@Benjamin Becker 

Maybe you might consider is the Smart Labels for Confluence app. This application harnesses the power of artificial intelligence to automatically create and apply labels to your Confluence pages, based on the content of the page. The aim here is to enhance the organization and searchability of your Confluence content.

When a new page is published, the app will automatically generate appropriate labels for it. For existing pages, there's a button that will generate suitable labels when clicked. You also have the freedom to manually remove or extend these labels if needed.

What's more, you can configure the app at various levels, such as the Space level or the Parent Page level, to decide where you want labels to be auto-generated and where not. This could help you tailor the app's use to suit your organization's unique requirements.

While this app offers automated solutions, you retain control over labels as they can be manually added or removed on any page, giving you the best of both worlds.

Benjamin Becker May 26, 2023

Hi,

Thanks. The Smart Labels app looks promising. I will evaluate it together with the other automation options. 

Cheers,

Benjamin

0 votes
Jessie Wang_ScriptRunner_The Adaptavist Group
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
August 25, 2023

Hi @Benjamin Becker 

Someone mentioned ScriptRunner here so just wanted to give you a rundown of the features that might help you.

- You can set up a ScriptRunner Listener which is basically a triggered automation to look for certain words when a page is created, and automatically add a label based on those words. We have an example script in our documentation which adds a comment instead of a label whenever certain words are detected so you will need to know a bit of Groovy script to modify it for your needs.

We also have a number of no-code bulk label management features:

- If you need to bulk add, rename or delete labels on multiple pages/spaces you can do so with our built-in scripts. No coding required.

- We have a macro called 'Choose label' which might be interesting to you for label management. It basically lets you define a set of labels that users have to choose from via a drop-down list on the page. That way you avoid label misspellings and can keep label naming conventions consistent.

Hope that helps. Let me know if you have any questions.

If you'd like to trial ScriptRunner for Confluence it is available free for 30 days on Atlassian Marketplace.

Cheers,

Jessie

0 votes
juela.zeneli@communardo.com July 21, 2023

Hi @Benjamin Becker ,

Maybe I am a bit late and you already found a solution to your problem.

But I wanted to suggest Metadata for Confluence.

The app will definitely help you to guide the users through the metadata they add to each Confluence page.

It also offers some nice reporting options that could help with the discoverability of the content.

Kind Regards,

Juela

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events