Confluence Cloud for Microsoft Teams Documentation

Use Microsoft Teams and Confluence together

The Confluence Cloud for Microsoft Teams app lets your team:

• Capture meeting notes as a group and use the power of Confluence to create action items and decisions directly within Teams.

• Share meeting notes automatically via Teams chat after the meeting, so you can keep everyone in the loop.

• Easily search within Teams for previously shared pages, so information isn’t ever lost.

• Add a Confluence page to a Teams tab so you can easily reference and keep track of information.

Meeting installation demo vid:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pvjkzdeHA8

Chat installation demo vid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbZ7VhkIkyo

Getting started

To add the Confluence Cloud for Microsoft Teams app: 

1. Open your Microsoft Teams app

2. Click  > Apps in the bottom right corner

3. Search > Confluence Cloud

4. Click > Open and follow the prompts to connect it.

Using Confluence during Teams meetings

Take notes during all your Teams meetings by adding the Confluence app to events on your Teams calendar and then, during your meeting, take notes alongside your conversation.

1. Click > Calendar in the left menu

2. Click > New Meeting

3. Create a meeting title and add required attendees (You will need to add someone to the invitation as you will only be able to add the Confluence app if another person is invited to your meeting.)

4. Click > Send and you will see the meeting on your Calendar

5. Open the meeting and click > + in the top right

6. Select > Confluence Cloud to add notes to your meeting

7. Click > Add

8. Click > Save

9. You will see a button for Start Notes to show you have successfully added the Confluence app to your meeting.

Using the feature

You can start taking notes before the meeting when you:

1. Click > Start Notes

2. Click> Join will allow you to enter a meeting

3. Select the Confluence logo at the top right that will open a side panel for you to take notes during your meeting

4. Click > Publish then select which Space to publish the notes to

After your meeting ends, the notes you took will also be sent to your meeting conversation.

Selecting a Confluence site to search for pages from

If you have multiple Confluence sites, you'll want to select which site you want to search for pages from.

1. Click on the Confluence icon in the message composition area

2. Click > + button

3. Select > Configure to see a dropdown of options

4. Select the Confluence site you want to search for pages from

5. Click > Save and you’re ready to search

Add a Confluence page to a tab

1. Select > Teams Tab in the left panel

2. Select one of your channels

3. Click > + in the top right

4. Click > Confluence Cloud for Microsoft Teams app

5. Select your Cloud site

6. You can search for your page and then select it

7. You can choose > Post to the channel about this tab

8. Click > Save

Uninstall the app

1. You’ll see the Confluence logo in the left panel

2. Right-click the icon

3. Select > Uninstall

4. Confirm > Uninstall

Need support? 

This integration is built and maintained by Atlassian. If you need support, visit https://support.atlassian.com or contact support@atlassian.com.

16 comments

Comment

George August 5, 2021

How do I upgrade from the old version?

Like Oliver Wemyss likes this
Richard Couture August 5, 2021

In my Teams session, I clicked the Confluence button on the left navigation panel.

When the Confluence Cloud app opened up, there was a light purple upgrade warning on the top of the window. 

Had to re-establish permissions.

Like George likes this
dave_drexler August 5, 2021

Hi folks - it's not clear (to me) whether this needs to be installed by each user, or whether it's installed by a Teams admin for the entire domain. Seems like the former would not be very practical... 

Also - I don't see any instructions for configuration, permission-setting, etc. Any advice?

Like David Andrew likes this
Tygrr DosRemedios
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 5, 2021
Like George likes this
Tygrr DosRemedios
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 5, 2021

@Richard Couture That's correct! You will need to uninstall the previous version and reinstall the new one. You can follow these directions:

1. Uninstall every version of Confluence Cloud for Microsoft Teams from the Microsoft Teams app

2. Log in to Microsoft Teams in a web browser

3. Click  > Apps in the bottom right corner

4. Search > Confluence Cloud

5. Click > Add 

6. Go ahead and Sign In

Tygrr DosRemedios
Atlassian Team
August 5, 2021

@dave_drexler Your options will be to go to the "Apps" tab in the left column and see the option "Add" this to your Microsoft Teams. If your admin has already installed it on your behalf, instead of "Add," you will see "Open." Your admin can install this for the entire org through their admin account in Microsoft Teams so please reach out to them to do so. 

dave_drexler August 5, 2021

Thank you, @Tygrr DosRemedios.

Joe Buhler August 13, 2021

Hi @Tygrr DosRemedios 

I've posted this comment in another section of the Atlassian community but have not received any feedback.

I usually start a Teams meeting in one of the Teams channels. When I do that, the Confluence Icon doesn't appear (Screenshot 1).

I have to start a Teams meeting in Chat or on the Meetings tab itself for the icon to show up (Screenshot 2) but in these two ways, I can't add members with the @name function but need to send an invite link which is not convenient.

Also, more importantly, in the side panel that shows up in a meeting, I can't view my Weekly Meeting Notes Page to view an Agenda and add action items. Every daily meeting produces a new page with the notes which I then have to copy/paste into the Weekly Meeting Notes Page for review. This is a time-consumingScreenshot 1.pngScreenshot 2.png step.

How can I make the Weekly Meeting Notes within Team Notes show up in the Teams side panel during a meeting?

Michael Hunstock August 24, 2021

Is there any documentation on how and which data is transferred between Confluence and Teams (Atlassian and Microsoft)? With End-To-End-Encryption?

How are user accounts linked between Atlassian and Microsoft? All via Azure Active Directory? Is SingleSignOn needed/recommended?

Are user rights somehow compared or synchronized? What happens if I'm a meeting attendee but not a member of the confluence space where the meeting minutes are posted? Do I still get read access to the specific site (via the link in the Teams Meeting)?

Tygrr DosRemedios
Atlassian Team
August 24, 2021

@Michael Hunstock Great questions! 

1. Data transferred between Confluence and Teams is encrypted end-to-end and at rest in our datastore. Meeting notes taken with our app within Teams are transferred to Atlassian servers and then to Confluence when published from the Teams app. Other interactions between Teams and the Atlassian app occur via Microsoft and Confluence APIs with authentication tokens.

2. We use Microsoft Teams single sign-on (SSO) and Atlassian Open ID Connect (OIDC) to link the two accounts. These logins are prompted by our app when required.

3. While the notes exist in the Teams' meeting (i.e, before being published to Confluence), anyone who is invited to the meeting and is a member of the tenant hosting the meeting can view the notes. Once the meeting notes are published to Confluence, meeting attendees will see the link to the Confluence page but will only be able to view the page if they have the proper permission to do so in Confluence since Confluence access permissions will be applied at this point.

Like Michael Hunstock likes this
Keelan Sears June 2, 2022

Hey there! So I'm running into issues getting the meeting notes to work. The only way I can figure out how to add the app to a meeting is a divergence from your instructions, and it doesn't work. 

1. I have to go into the meeting chat from the active chat panel on the left
  2. Once in the chat window, I now see a "+" at the top right. I click that and try to add Confluence.
  3. Confluence has a popup that says to just click "Save" to finish the integration
  4. I get an error saying "We couldn't save your tab settings. Please try again."

SCR-20220602-evi.png

Daniel Dolinov November 4, 2022

Should I be able to use the functionality for taking notes during a channel meeting (versus a calendar meeting)?  I do not see the plus sign to add an additional tab when I am in a channel meeting versus a regular meeting.

Am I missing something?

Tygrr DosRemedios
Atlassian Team
November 4, 2022

@Daniel Dolinov Apologies for any confusion! The meetings functionality only works in a Calendar meeting, not a Team Channel meeting.

Andy Valverde May 2, 2023

Hello, @Tygrr DosRemedios

Just curious, does this plugin only work for Jira on Cloud? Or would it be possible to use it for Jira Server?

Tygrr DosRemedios
Atlassian Team
July 5, 2023

@Andy Valverde this is only for Cloud!

Jonathan G November 11, 2023

When you add the confluence page to a meeting, is there any way of using an existing company template?  At the moment we have to go to a template and copy the meeting details in there

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events