Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's New in Confluence Cloud – October 2019 Edition

87 comments

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new comments.

Kelvin A Hill October 29, 2019

I must be really unlucky. Now that I have started testing the new editor, I'm finding plenty of bugs. If Atlassian would like some help identifying them, I charge a reasonable testing fee.

Here's one with the Page Tree macro. If a page listed in the Page Tree macro has one or more child pages, the longest page title in the tree will have the last word of its title wrapped onto the next line. Wait, what? Yes, it's true. Try it for yourself. Here's a screenshot showing a Page Tree macro that is pointing to pages with children—followed by another Page Tree macro that is pointing to pages without children.

page-tree.png

If the pages (with children) have titles of similar lengths, they will each have their last word wrapped onto the next line:

page-tree-2.png

We are seeing some peculiar behavior when editing and saving pages in the new editor.

When we open a page for editing, the page briefly (for maybe half a second) displays the content from a previously saved version of the page before clearing the old content and leaving the most recently saved version of the content in the editor. Why?

When attempting to save a page, there is no indication in the browser that anything is happening. The page stops responding and the browser tab shows no indication of activity. While in this state, if we hold the cursor over the disabled Publish button, we see the message shown in the screenshot below. In most cases, the page proceeds to save and return to the read-only / published view. In some cases, however, the page may remain in that state for an extended period of time before saving—or it simply stops responding and we have to refresh the page or close the tab. I don't believe this is a network latency issue. We haven't observed such issues in the legacy/better editor.

hold-up.png

Tom Crowley October 29, 2019

Ahh, I wondered what was causing that @Kelvin A Hill 

Like Kelvin A Hill likes this

Which issue, @Tom Crowley? There are so many [grimacing emoji].

Tom Crowley October 29, 2019

@Kelvin A Hill The wrapping of Page Tree macro text, but I also see the other ones too...

Like Kelvin A Hill likes this

@Tom Crowley  While testing to identify how to reproduce the wrapping of Page Tree macro text, I managed to mess up a page such that the entries in the page tree each had an extra bullet. That is, the top-level entries were prefixed by a filled round black bullet followed by the chevron, and the child-level entries were prefixed by an outlined round black bullet followed by a filled square black bullet.

I concluded something bad had happened, so I simply deleted the page and began again. I now fear that bug will come back to haunt us at some point (perhaps on October 31).

Maria Karfi November 1, 2019

hi! what about comments in pictures / mockups?

Seems I can not add any comment inside a picture as I used to.

Kelvin A Hill November 5, 2019

@Jessica Taylor Charisma Riley (@Charisma Riley has today edited a post in relation to the removal of the DIV macro in the new editor.

Here is the JIRA for reference: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONFCLOUD-65774

@Charisma Riley posted the following in relation to the DIV macro:

"This is an essential feature of our org, and removing it only to re-include it for the new Premium subscribers makes no sense to those of us who signed on to Cloud when these features were advertised for us (2016 for us)."

@Charisma Riley has suggested that Atlassian is retaining the DIV macro in the Premium version of Confluence while it has already removed it from the new editor. I have been unable to confirm this information, but, if true, it suggests that Atlassian plans to charge its existing users a significant price premium to continue to access features previously provided in the standard version. If so, that is cynical, sharp practice.

[One comment removed for disparaging tone, reach out to communitymanagers@atlassian.com with any concerns. - Monique]

hilarydub
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 6, 2019

@Kelvin A Hill @Charisma Riley 

Hi Kelvin, thanks for looping @Jessica Taylor in. I'm a Product Manager on Confluence Cloud Premium and I want to clear up the situation. The DIV macro is not currently, and will not in the future be offered as part of Confluence Cloud Premium. As explained by Confluence Cloud Product Manager, Avi, in his recent macro blog (https://confluence.atlassian.com/confcloud/blog/2018/03/cleaning-up-the-macro-browser), this macro is being deprecated for all Confluence Cloud users - Standard and Premium. The reasoning behind this deprecation is that the main use case of the macro is to make content look better and more readable - which is something we're now building into the editing experience as a default (for all users, from Free to Standard to Premium). Keeping redundant macros in the experience creates clutter, maintenance, and increases potential for breaking pages.

As we've said in the past, the Premium package only contains new features - in the spirit of our Atlassian values, we have not removed anything from Standard or tried to package existing value at a higher price.

I understand that it may take some time to adjust to the deprecation of the DIV macro, but hopefully this at least quells some of your concerns around Premium. As a rule of thumb, the Premium roadmap is focused on features that help growing teams make better decisions, remove obstacles quickly, and scale Confluence. You can read more about our roadmap here https://www.atlassian.com/software/confluence/premium/roadmap#results.

Like # people like this
Kelvin A Hill November 6, 2019

@hilarydub @Charisma Riley Thank you @hilarydub for clearing that up. I am relieved to hear that scruples are not a thing of the past.

With regard to taking "some time to adjust to the deprecation of the DIV macro," I'm afraid we are infuriatingly at a loss as to how to move forward with that.

I am currently (right now) preparing a 10-page policy on information security in pursuance of ISO 27001:2013 certification. The document must exist in our Confluence Space, AND I must submit it to a third-party certification agency for review. The only practical export option is to PDF (with our look and feel applied using the PDF Export Stylesheet).

In the document, I need to force a page break in two places: 1) after the table of contents—because the first page of content is inserted directly below the last item of the table of contents, and 2) before the beginning of the appendices.

The only way I have been able to do that with little more than slapdash accuracy is by adding multiple sets of SHIFT + ENTER (which creates <p><br></p>) to push down the content until it is forced past the next page break. It is a ludicrous approach that I am forced into as a last resort, AND it destroys the integrity of the content in the online version because the additional spacing appears in the page.

I'm sorry, but no amount of marketing spin can deflect responsibility away from Atlassian for wilfully eroding the customer experience.

I have abandoned my attempt to secure a professional PDF export with content assembled in the new editor, and I have resorted to rebuilding it in the legacy/better editor. By so doing, I have finally successfully created the necessary output.

Like # people like this
Monique vdB
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
November 6, 2019

Thanks for the great discussion and feedback. and special thanks to those of you who participated in the focus group that emerged from this discussion!

I’m going to close this thread to give the team a chance to action on the items raised by this group. So you don’t miss future updates, make sure you’re watching for new articles in this space. (Go to the main collection page, click Watch and select articles.)

Screen Shot 2019-11-06 at 9.42.57 AM.png

If you find any bugs in the meantime, please create JAC tickets for those. Questions and discussions are always welcome too, but please keep in mind our voice and tone guidelines.  The team is working hard to make sure your feedback is heard and actioned on. Thanks all!

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new comments.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events