Convert any page to a blog in Confluence

Hi Atlassian Community,

My name is Avni Barman, and I am a Product Manager on the Confluence Tailored Experiences team! One of the largest pieces of feedback we have received recently from you is the desire to convert any page into a blog. In the following weeks, we will be giving you the ability to convert or publish any page as a blog post in just two clicks!

Convert Any Page to a Blog

With this new feature, you no longer have to lose your changes or recreate work when migrating content from a page to a blog. Whether you started on a page or just changed your mind later, you can easily switch to blog mode!

Simply head to the More actions (•••) in the top right corner and select Convert to blog.

image-20210303-052911.png

Choose which space you want this blog to live in and click Convert to blog.

image-20210303-180248.png

Now this page lives as a blog post under the other blogs in your selected space! (Your existing comments and likes will be preserved while the creation date and time will reset.)

image-20210303-052933.png

Publish Any Page As a Blog

If you haven’t published your draft yet, you can also publish your page as a blog straight while editing!

Select Publish As Blog from the More actions (•••) meu. Then select the space where you want to publish this blog and select Publish as blog.

Bam! Now your page is published as a blog in your selected space!

image-20210303-053500.png

Feedback or Questions?

Don’t forget to let us know any feedback or questions you have in the comments. We’d love to hear your suggestions on how we can make this experience even better for you!

47 comments

Vero Rivas
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 19, 2021

Wow, I'm going to try it

Like Avni Barman likes this
Katharina Nordling April 19, 2021

Yey! Looking forward to this new feature. Thank you!

Adam Benari April 20, 2021

Awesome! I can't wait to try this new feature.

Shawn Mendisz April 20, 2021

It's really awesome! I was in need of finding such a feature for myself as a developer. It helps me a lot in my work. But I am curious when it will be launched?

Sharon Helms
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 20, 2021

This is great, thank you! We've definitely created pages by mistake and had to redo the same work over again as a blog post.

I can't help but add, we really want to use Confluence's blog functionality more, but it's not going to happen until some other basic blogging features such as Ability to change the date of blog posts    are added. Please consider that change, too -- so we can encourage more people to use Confluence blogs! Thanks again -- Sharon

Edited: Returning because I just found this article: ⏰ Schedule now, publish later in Confluence What great news! The final piece for us would be the ability to back-date blog posts --

Thanks to the Confluence dev teams for making these improvements! 

Avni Barman
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 21, 2021

@Shawn Mendisz we will be launching this in a few weeks - stay tuned! smile

Logi Helgu April 23, 2021

Great news...my email said "New!"...so I went straight to try it out...then I can see "Coming Soon!" on this page that explains why I couldn't do this ;)

Nice to see the cloud version get some love on the blog part <3 ... I don't know how often I have created a page and had to delete it and create a blog post as I intended =)  Maybe since I was used to selecting the before on the server version ;)

Dimitri Rupp April 29, 2021

This is mega cool!! It simplifies the process a lot! Great improvement! :D

Jeanne Howe May 4, 2021

@Avni Barman 

Why post functionality as being available when it is not?

This functionality has not be released into Confluence Cloud, as this article suggests.

Like Darragh Culhane likes this
Logi Helgu May 5, 2021

The article states "In the following weeks"...so we just have to wait ;)

Tobi Strillozzi May 11, 2021

This is fantastic! When will this feature be available for Data Center installations? 

Alison Milne May 11, 2021

When will this be available? 

Arnd Layer May 11, 2021

nice ... this could be a way around not having blog templates.

Like # people like this
Logi Helgu May 25, 2021

...is there a JIRA ticket what I can follow to know when it's live =)

Edouard Winia May 27, 2021

Hello, sorry but not sure to understand what's the point of converting a page to a blog? you explain the WHAT but not the WHY and the benefit, so for me this product release is totally useless. 

Like # people like this
AAA May 27, 2021

Hi Edouard

No, it isn't.

Since the last change, where someone has to create a page (1) and then click again on Blog-Post (2) to create a Blog-Post it happens every now and then that a user forgets to do the 2nd step and so instead of creating a Blog-Post they create a page which is also shown in the navigation bar on the left-hand side.

With this function people can move the page directly to a Blog-Post without having to copy/paste the content into a Blog-Post and then deleting the page.

However, the old function was much better, when a Blog-Post could be selected and created directly.

Another ugly side effect of the current solution is also that when you create a page and then a Blog-Post everyone gets an empty draft in their drafts folder and for someone who creates a lot of Blog-Posts it is impossible to delete all the empty created draft pages (by opening each one individually and then click on .../delete).

So I hope Atlassian will also fix that or create an easy way to create Blog-Posts directly again.

Like Katharina Nordling likes this
Logi Helgu May 28, 2021

Thx AAA, that's one of the reasons (since the Could UI doesn't allow to directly create blog posts...just the Create button)

Another reason might be that you want to draft a blog post or collaborate on it (as a page) and then covert it into a blog when ready.

I totally understand where you are coming from EW, you probably have other issues that you would like to see done first...and I could think of a few, but this will help some user and for them it's a great feature =)

Avni Barman
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 10, 2021

Apologies, but we had a little delay in the rollout of this feature. However, it should be available in the next few weeks. Thank you all for your patience! 

Anıl Çelebi June 24, 2021

How can i convert the blog back to a page ?

Like # people like this
Avni Barman
Atlassian Team
June 24, 2021

@Anıl Çelebi Today, you aren't able to convert blogs back to pages. However, we completely understand this is a valid request and our team is actively working on adding it to our roadmap so we can bring this feature to customers as soon as possible! Thank you for your patience!

Like # people like this
Valentin Ibanescu July 30, 2021

@Avni Barman  +1 interested to convert blogs back to pages. Thank you!

Like Hung-Lin Chen likes this
Nick Beaugié August 2, 2021

Is it possible to have the reverse feature?

In my case, I have some information that I started as a blog. But now I'd like to make it a more prominent (and more obviously updatable by colleagues) page.

Like Romke likes this
Avni Barman
Atlassian Team
August 2, 2021

@Nick Beaugié As mentioned above, today, you aren't able to convert blogs back to pages but our team is actively working on bringing this feature to customers as soon as possible!

Nick Beaugié August 2, 2021

Thank you very much. I very much look forward to having this feature.

Logi Helgu August 3, 2021

I would love to understand the reason why you would want to convert a blog post to a page?

To me the blog posts are an historical overview and converting a blog post to a page means that you loose that overview from the blog list.

If content on a blog post is important it should be a page (to begin with) and the blog post should only be announcing it and linking to it.  If you didn't do that I would create a new page with that content and create a new blog post to announce where the content is now accessible (and if you have to delete the old blog post).

So I would NOT like to see a "Blog to Page" feature implemented...but I would also love for someone to change my mind here =)

Like Peter Maziak likes this

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events