Change to your content is in your hands

Hey Community,

The Confluence editor team have been reading your questions on the Community threads and want to share a central source of truth for everyone regarding editor changes. Most importantly, we hope that this post clearly conveys our principle that change to your content is in your hands.

Disclaimer: If you are not a site admin, please speak with your site admin about the changes to your site. Messaging here applies mostly to site admins.

The legacy editor isn’t going anywhere

We know that many of you are concerned about all the changes and what they may mean for the future of the legacy editor. We have no plans to end-of-life it in the foreseeable future, and if and when we do, we’ll make sure to explicitly communicate it well in advance.

Confluence will not be automatically converting pages/sites to the new editor.

There will be no more default conversions without notice. Going forward, we plan to use the page conversion feature to move pages from the legacy to the new editor. This feature is opt-in only, meaning users choose whether or not they want to convert a page on a page-by-page basis. Furthermore, there’s an option to revert back at any time. As we see success in this feature, we hope to enable this as a bulk operation at the space or site level. That means space admins and site admins will be able to convert pages in bulk rather than going into each and every page. If you currently don’t have but would like to see this feature in your site, please fill out the form here.

If your site does not have the new editor, your pages will not default to the new editor without notice.

There is a small percentage of sites that do not have the new editor for various specific reasons. These sites will not be rolled into the new editing experience, especially without notice.

The legacy editor template can be enabled for your site at any time.

Most sites currently have the legacy editor template enabled. If your site falls within the small percentage of sites that do not, please reach out to Support for more information about enabling the legacy template.

Thank you!

The Confluence Cloud Team

219 comments

Meg Holbrook
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 13, 2020

I think this is a huge step forward in the ongoing editor discussion. Admins should be empowered to make decisions that directly impact the day to day operations of their business within the products.

My hope is that this type of thinking continues with products like JSD cloud where we've had a number of significant (and not always wonderful) changes occur with little to no advance notice or ability to revert to legacy functionality. 

Like # people like this
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 13, 2020

Great post @Tiffany!

Love the transparency and commitment in trying to make a more positive experience for users.

Looking forward to hearing more updates as they are available!

Like # people like this
LarryBrock
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 13, 2020

@Tiffany and team - Many kudos for this clarifying statement and driving a stake in the ground for constructive conversation moving forward!

I encourage each of you to remain present and engaged in the Community and to in turn, encourage your fellow product teams to engage as well.  I promise - we don't bite! 😁

~~Larry Brock

Like # people like this
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 13, 2020

@Tiffany& Atlassian Confluence Team,

I really appreciate the transparency and simplicity of your post. More importantly I am pleased to see that Atlassian is listening to their customers. I never doubted that you were but this post confirms it. While personally I love the new editor, I also appreciate the pains that many long time Confluence fans were vocal about. IMO, this is the best of both worlds and not a compromise. I want to encourage Atlassian to continue to evolve the product to deliver the best possible solution. Change is difficult but always necessary to remain pertinent.

Keep up the great work!

jack

Like # people like this
Chellie Esters March 13, 2020

@Tiffany YAAAYYYYY!!!!! This is wonderful news! We literally have hundreds of pages that we just moved from Zendesk in early 2019. The new editor — and all of its gaps — gave my team (and other Confluence users) a high level of stress that no cloud solution should ever do.

If you're running feedback sessions with customers, I'd like to be on that team. Please feel free to contact me if you're having such sessions.

Again, thank you for the wonderful news!

Like # people like this
Jasmine Wilkinson March 13, 2020

@Tiffany is there anywhere we can see the features of the new editor or try how it works? We are not currently using Confluence as we were so frustrated with the limitations of tables - but if some of these issues have been addressed in the new editor would be keen to use Confluence again.

Like Cortlandt _ likes this
Tiffany
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 13, 2020

@Jasmine Wilkinson you can create a free new instance and create some pages/test out how it works there. This would be the best way to see the full functionality of the new editor. 

Jasmine Wilkinson March 13, 2020

Looks like there's still no way to re-order table rows :-( 
(Cutting and pasting content of rows is not the same thing.)

Like # people like this
Don Campbell March 13, 2020

Thank you @Tiffany_Chang & Atlassian Confluence Team.  To be honest I wasn't sure how much you were listening to us (your customers).  Now I know you are, and as such I look forward to the improvement and enhancements your team can introduce, knowing you will take our needs and concerns seriously - especially when it comes to already super useful features we depend on. 

Keep up the good work.

Like # people like this
Vincent Mann March 13, 2020

No more default conversions = great.  I really like the new editor as I've mentioned before, but this is an empowering change and in my view a good best practice in general.  

Like Tiffany likes this
Mads March 15, 2020

Thank you very much. Would it be possible to change the text in the create page dialog? Currently it says

Screenshot_20200315_143528.png
"(old) (going away soon)" does not exactly communicate the same message as this blog post...

Like # people like this
chris March 15, 2020

I hope Atlassian changes its approach to rolling out changes in future - and I wish Atlassian would fix issues like this in a matter of days, not 12+ months.

Like # people like this
Tan Rong Wei March 15, 2020

Thank you for listening to your customers. Thank you for not wasting our efforts for those of us who have contributed thousands upon thousands of articles using your platform by allowing us to choose whether we want to change to the new editor or not.

Like # people like this
Susanne Schnitzer March 16, 2020

Thank you, we are very happy about being able to still use the legacy editor.

Just one thing: there is no possibility to create templates that use the legacy editor.

Creating a template always starts with the new editor. Can this be changed?

Like # people like this
Bob Bergman March 16, 2020

This is pretty big news for Marketplace Vendors offering cloud macros, as well.  Support for implementing macros that work well in both types of pages is _not_ good in Confluence now.  Please back this new statement up with solid support for vendors to be able to make Connect macros work equally well in both editing experiences.

Like # people like this
Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 16, 2020

That's great news and a big step forward. I appreciate the transparency and giving the responsibility to the customers.

It's another proof that Atlassian is listening to their customers as much as possible - as it was with the office macros before. 

Like Stephanie Grice likes this
Robert Lauriston
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 16, 2020

Where is Atlassian and what have you done with them?

Like # people like this
Ben Shuker March 16, 2020

This is the best news, we can now stop scrambling to find either an alternative to Confluence or to migrate to Server.

One more thing I would like to see is the ability for a site admin to completely disable the new editor, it's simply not fit for purpose for us and as it's the 'default' blank page editor, it's getting used which means we need to then delete and recreate the page using the old editor.

Like # people like this
Brendan Patterson
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 17, 2020

Hi @Tiffany ,

Listening to customers is always a great idea so this is encouraging.

I'm very curious "what changed" such that Atlassian decided to switch directions here? And should we expect what happened in 2019 to repeat in terms of Atlassian again deciding to 'force push' a new editor or platform component which by most accounts still needs features and fixes?

We strive to assist bringing customers joy with our apps.   This became harder than ever in 2019 where we spent thousands of hours trying to divine, report then work around dozens of bugs in the new editor.

I DO think this is the right decision for customers.  Kudos for this re-direction in that regard.

I would like to ask if you can give some additional insight into the decision making process here?   It will help us better support customers in the future.

Cheers,

Brendan

Like # people like this
Vicki March 18, 2020

How can I opt to use the old editor when the display defaults to the new editor? Is there a tip or a trick I am missing?

Like # people like this
Thomas Barns March 18, 2020

Is there a solution to the issue where following an 'undefined link' from an old editor page tries to open a new editor page and breaks? (see https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONFCLOUD-68165)

Can we set the old editor to be default in some way?

Like # people like this
Mads March 18, 2020

@SoupedUp App

Check my post above (the one with the image), or this discussion I just started here, about how to use the old editor.

Like Vicki likes this
Randy Proctor March 18, 2020

Thanks for listening to feedback, and keeping the legacy editor alive.  Would it also be possible (or is there already a way) to access legacy templates other than Blank Page?  Perhaps there could be a drop-down option in the Create dialog to choose which collection of templates to display -- New, Legacy, or both.

Like Laura Bier likes this
rod March 18, 2020

This is good news. Will there still be support over the old editor for bugs that are in it?

We are currently choosing to live with a bug instead of moving our reference pages that cannot be done using the new editor.

Like # people like this
r_karaivanov March 18, 2020

It would be really great to have a public document, which shows which features of the legacy editor are supported - or not yet - in the new editor. This can be of help when deciding whether to switch to the new editor.

For example, sometimes I am writing complex texts, where it is helpful to add an info panel to a list item (in numbered or bulleted list). Currently this is not supported by the new editor - I try adding the panel, and it shows below the list. So I keep using the legacy editor, where this feature works as expected.

If I am able to check whether features essential to my workflow have become part of the new editor, at some point I might consider using the new editor.

Like # people like this

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events