Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change to your content is in your hands

219 comments

Robert Lauriston
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 1, 2021

Chris (can't @ because there are too many users with the same name), why can't you migrate to another system? There are lots of options for exporting data.

chris March 1, 2021

@Robert LauristonI knew as I submitted my comment that I worded it poorly ... there is no other system offering the combination of features I need: TOC with absolute URLs; Excerpts; text links can download attachments; I can paste content from Windows Snipping Tool and the editor automatically uploads and positions within my document; I can resize images to small/medium/large to produce consistency between differently sized Windows Snipping Tool items; I can add a border around images; and I can use the plug-in named "Instant Websites" to publish my Confluence space as a static html website hosted on Amazon web servers.

The first bunch of stuff is used by my many workspaces and makes content editing lightning fast - there is no comparable editor, period. The last feature (Instant Websites plugin) is used on one workspace and again, means I have that lightning fast editor available to me as a CMS, effectively. There is no comparable CMS either. (The CMS perspective has many drawbacks compared to full blown CMSes, granted, but I can live with those for the value given to me by the lightning fast editing capabilities of the now-so-called "legacy" Confluence editor).

Like r_karaivanov likes this
JP March 17, 2021

Very good news. We are heavy users of tables and the code macro and they both got pretty big functionality downgrades in the new editor (in my opinion).

Committing to the old editor (we can stop calling it "legacy" now because we know it is part of the future) is a really great announcement.

Alfonso Mezzullo March 31, 2021

Bellissimo, prima volta e mi è piaciuto molto ☺️

Like David Allyn likes this
Dmitriy Shashkin April 7, 2021

change to your content is in your hands

The legacy editor isn’t going anywhere

Well, except for the fact that it's impossible to create new templates using the old editor. This blog post is plainly misleading.

It's extremely frustrating and a major inconvenience. The new editow is a disaster. It's impossible to compose a simple plan with action items using the new editor! Like the main value we've got from confluence is gone

Like # people like this
Jeanne Howe April 12, 2021

Since the legacy editor is not going anywhere, why can't I create a template using the legacy editor?

This was standard functionality and, clearly, something Atlassian intentionally removed. 

As the Confluence Admin, I should be able to select the "default" editor used in our instance. This editor would then be used for all page creations, all template creations, and all other editing in Confluence.

As a Confluence User, I should have the option to select the editor I would like to use to create my pages. I should be able to set this preference in my profile or, if I want to use a specific editor for a page, I should be able to select the editor at the time of page creation, overriding the default editor. 

Like # people like this
Ian Kaplan April 12, 2021

I had to ask support to have the legacy editor template added to my account.  Once this was done, I could creat pages that used the legacy (better) editor.

Chris Rehberg April 13, 2021

In contrast to Ian, I contacted support multiple times and they never re-enabled the legacy editor template. They were hopeless. Sometimes they said "wrong department" and shut down the ticket without actually working to give it to someone who could help. Instead, I work around the issue by copying a page that had been created with the legacy editor originally. The copied page then uses the same editor - I clear the contents, rename it and move it as required.

Chris Rehberg April 13, 2021

PS. They also didn't answer my question as to why the legacy editor couldn't simply be enabled for all users. Rather, apparently I needed to grant permission to their support user to access my spaces or something. Seems like an inconceivable solution.

Sabina Ivancic April 13, 2021

Same here. Contacted them few times - no response at all. To top it all, they've decided to exclude calendar from regular asubscription - and "gracefully" given us free premium subscription until the end of the year.

Well... enough is enough and we are looking for a replacement. I'm busy enough at work without a service company cutting me off at the knees or tying my hands together at their whim.

Deleted user April 17, 2021

Happy to know that:

• "Confluence will not be automatically converting pages/sites to the new editor".

Because if you apply the new format automatically to all existing articles, you will just break an extremely high number of articles, macros, included articles etc... ;)  

Sorry to say so.
No idea why you pushed this new version onto all your users before it was actually tested properly.

Like # people like this
Deleted user April 17, 2021

I had a wonderful article created by a team member.
It was created in the new format, and now there is no way to include into another article "nicely".

First section is full-width.
Then for some obscure reason, the following section is fixed-width...
Then, when a table appears, it shows in full width again...
...and so on!

How can this be even possible?
This implies the code below is seriously wrong.

Like # people like this
Jeanne Howe April 23, 2021

So, according to this article

"The legacy editor isn’t going anywhere

We know that many of you are concerned about all the changes and what they may mean for the future of the legacy editor. We have no plans to end-of-life it in the foreseeable future, and if and when we do, we’ll make sure to explicitly communicate it well in advance."

and yet, when you contact support in regards to a feature of the legacy editor you get this - 

"Even though we are not planning to sunset it, we can't support the creation of new templates using it, as we have implemented a lot of changes on the back-end around the page creation and the template gallery, which we can't guarantee that the old editor would support. We are focusing on improving the experience (with enhancements and bug fixing) for the current editor, and we are not focusing on the old editor, unless when facing an incident."

Just as an FYI Atlassian, when you have an application or application feature that you are no longer supporting, no longer scaling, no longer doing anything this is called end-of-life/sunsetting

Like # people like this
ClaireT May 7, 2021

Good to hear! I had dutifully switched to the new editor for new spaces/page on our site, but have found it impossible to do certain things - such as including info panels within procedures, sizing the screenshots exactly, adding new tables (can no longer specify the number of rows/columns in a new table.) I have switched back to the "legacy" editor and can now accomplish what I need to do. I suggest that you rename the "legacy" editor to the "classic" editor or similar and just plan to keep it around. Also going forward please curtail the continual feature loss in Confluence Cloud. Has felt like the Ryanair of content management systems recently!

Like # people like this
LarryBrock
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 10, 2021

@Tiffany (and the rest of the Confluence Cloud product team), perhaps it is time to refresh the roadmap for Confluence to address the continued high demand for the "legacy" editor and bring it back to the table as a regular part of the Confluence Cloud product?  Recently the Jira Cloud team took a similar action by responding to the ongoing demand for "classic" projects (vs the new "next-gen" project) and changing the names of them both to reflect their ongoing support.

Happy to discuss this idea with you or any of the Confluence Cloud product team.

~~Larry Brock

Like # people like this
Deleted user May 10, 2021

Maybe the phrase should be: "the New Editor is not going anywhere".

I opened about 20 tickets on the New Editor over 1 year ago. Only 2 of them have been actually fixed

So, not only a high number of "Legacy Editor" functionalities were broken or removed from the New Editor, BUT it also looks like you can/do not fix them

Even this chat has been opened months ago, and NOTHING has actually happened since.
This is getting all very "political": talks, more talks, promises, wonderful plans, and nothing actually done.

Please:

1. Make things work NOW.
  2. Switch to a more efficient communication: a Gantt chart of what your team is actually working on would be nice.
Like # people like this
Pradnya Nagpure May 17, 2021

Hi Team,

Is the scroll versions (versioning the documentation according to releases) is possible when we have new editor in our site? We have new editor, one space of user guides is client facing. So whenever I am working on the next release features, I have to copy the required topics in my personal space in Confluence, work on them, get reviewed by SMEs and then at time of release copy the changes/updates in the client facing space and then publish the pages. This is very tedious and time consuming job. 

Any ideas how can this be handled if we have new editor. Do we need this to Atlassian support to enable versioning in new editor? Please suggest.

Regards,

Pradnya

Robert Lauriston May 17, 2021

@Pradnya NagpureScroll Versions is not available for Confluence Cloud. Are you talking about having the new editor in Confluence Server?

Pradnya Nagpure May 18, 2021

No, our company has COnfluence with new editor on Cloud and not on Server. So as I mentioned, I do not have the facility of versioning. Is there any way out for this? 

Robert Lauriston May 18, 2021

Scroll Versions has never been available for Confluence Cloud.

Artur Szalak June 9, 2021

Please fix image handling and resizing especially for PDF export.

Like # people like this
Tina Hutchinson June 9, 2021

I agree, please fix the image resizing problem!! I can't align an image left or right without it immediately shrinking from whatever size I'd pulled it to. It only remains larger if centered, and that's not even 100% of the time.  I thought Atlassian was going to fix this shortly after the rollout, but it's been months! 

Like # people like this
Andrew June 16, 2021

From https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONFCLOUD-67748

Today, we know we’re not “done” building, but we still believe that the editor was the right decision and we are generally proud of the overall experience. 

This is nothing to be "proud of" you have failed your customers.

Like # people like this
Zod August 23, 2021

The point blank is that you never should have launched the New and Unimproved Editor, until it had functional PARITY with the Legacy Editor.

I can't even load images reliably, because sometimes they're randomly large and fuzzy, or way too small, but there are no direct controls to size your images, AND they're all responsive.

Newsflash, sometimes you DON'T want images to size responsively, you want them at an exact pixel value that's locked static.

And text should ALWAYS fill the horizontal screen real estate. dump that wide vs narrow foolishness.

Tables are a terrible nightmare, and basically useless now, and in technical documentation, they're used CONSTANTLY.

The headers and the text are way too big, and there's way too much white space. It looks like a childish app, not something for highly technical, sophisticated users to produce serious documentation with. Like Tinder for documentation. In other words, SAD.

There's no coloration/capitalization difference standard in headers, which makes entire pages less legible to pick them out when scrolling. Also, they're all at the same indentation level, which again, does nothing to help the reader pull out the difference between content sections.

Like honestly, so much of this stuff is so basic, I'm honestly mystified as to how anyone designing this UI thought how it works now, is a good idea.

Just apologize for releasing it too soon, replace it with the Legacy Editor, and go back to the drawing board with this new thing. 'Cause it's super not ready, and I'm now actually having problems getting staff to use it AT ALL because of this. It makes a horrible first impression on users.

I want to be super clear on this too – I'm being this blunt/harsh, because I honestly care about this product succeeding. It has contributed in the past to MY success, so I'm invested in making this thing work well. Moreover, I'm aware that development has been harder if not next to impossible in the last year due to the virus, so I very much sympathize on that front.

But I'm in a position now where I'm trying to make the case to spend even MORE money on this utility in terms of plugins and expanded users, in part because I know the value-add here. 

This is one reason why I'm upset – precisely because I am an advocate for Confluence as a tool that is SUPERIOR to other documentation utilities that I've had to manage, which were FAR less productive. So I'm begging you for the whole community, please don't ruin that.

Like # people like this
stevemc August 23, 2021

I'm in 100% agreement with Zod.  At the very least why would Atlassian not allow an Admin to make the Legacy Editor the default?   There seems to be some REALLY authoritarian thinking going on in the Confluence Product Team.

Like # people like this

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events